Is 30k a good salary a for a individual

Watch this thread
baconhatesbeef
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What type of bedroom house can I own?
What will be my disposable income?

Im really nervous as people said 30k is a national average salary and I want to earn the minimum
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by baconhatesbeef)

Im really nervous as people said 30k is a national average salary and I want to earn the minimum
£600,000 after tax is a good salary for an individual

Spoiler:
Show
Serious answer? It depends on where you live
Imane888
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Depends on where you live.
baconhatesbeef
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Imane888)
Depends on where you live.
(Original post by ecolier)
£600,000 after tax is a good salary for an individual

Spoiler:
Show
Serious answer? It depends on where you live
For example in London
Fox Hound
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 year ago

30k isn't that much in the South but in the North and Scotland it's pretty good. You'll get 2k per month before any loan or pension deductions. I live in Glasgow and you wouldn't have much trouble getting a 2 bedroom flat on that salary in a decent to good area for like 130k.
username5585736
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Probably not very good for central London/city of. But otherwise it’s an okay enough salary if you’re good w money.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Unfortunately you wont be able to buy a house with a £30k salary. A houseshare should leave you with plenty of free money. Is this a first job?
ajj2000
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Yes - but not in London. £30k is a good salary in the midlands or north.
Imane888
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
For example in London
Nah then south of England and East Anglia (so Southern England as a whole) I say no imo if it's before tax. I might be chatting nonsense but Southern England is expensive.

Yeah but the OP is down south.
ADot163
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Lool shut up. Ofc you can buy a house with a 30k salary... 30,000 is 20% of 150,000 so you'd be able to get a mortgage for at least £120,000, outside of London and that's a 2 bed house mate. If you're willing to move country and travel, that's like a 4 bed house in some countries
Imane888
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ADot163)
Lool shut up. Ofc you can buy a house with a 30k salary... 30,000 is 20% of 150,000 so you'd be able to get a mortgage for at least £120,000, outside of London and that's a 2 bed house mate. If you're willing to move country and travel, that's like a 4 bed house in some countries
OP wants to live in London it seems unless I'm wrong.
ADot163
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Imane888)
OP wants to live in London it seems
Oh my bad, you can still get like 2 bed apartments in London for £120,000
Imane888
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Really? Where? I don't want to by a flat in London but show me proof.
Fox Hound
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
True, comes with free cockroa.... err pets, easy door free entry, and air ventilation holes in every room. What a bargain!
Kerzen
Rep:
Report 1 year ago

What is your situation, bhb? Have you been offered a job which pays £30,000?

You mention London. There are people working in London who are earning £30,000 and, in fact, people earning less, sometimes a lot less.

How this works for them depends on a range of things. In some instances, they may have a partner who has a higher salary and the combined household income is probably what makes it work. In other instances, they may be living at home and have only modest expenses.

It would be more tricky for a single person working in London and earning £30,000.

You wouldn't be able to buy somewhere in London on that salary, but you would perhaps be able to rent. I was just looking at flat rents to give you an example and saw a small flat in Central Hackney for £1,300 a month, which is quite low. This would leave you with about £1,000 a month on a salary of £30,000, so £250 a week or so, from which you would have to pay electricity, transport, food and clothing. You could save by taking the bus and making your own lunch.

Quite a few people on £30,000 get house shares instead, which works out a bit cheaper.
Reue
Rep:
Report 1 year ago

30k puts you in the top 37% of tax payers based on the latest available data (17/18). It is far above the national average salary and far far above the national average individual income.

On your own you can probably get a mortgage for about 4x income. So borrowing £120k. The house you can get depends on location and deposit size.

Without any pension or student loan deductions your net monthly income would be about £2000. Impossible to say what your disposable income would be without knowing your expenses.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago

Depends where you live but £30,000 is a decent salary.
I earn just under £20,000. I brought a house and run it by myself.
Quady
Rep:
Report 1 year ago

Why do you wanna earn the minimum ...?
Quady
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Where outside of London is this 2 bed house for £150k...?
Quady
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Yo - link me up, cannae find any on rightmove like
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (63)
68.48%
In the post (3)
3.26%
Text (13)
14.13%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (13)
14.13%

Watched Threads