History MPhil / PhD 2021 Applicants Discussion

Watch
reiseraft
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by gmay.s)
Hey guys! I applied to MPhil American History on November 6th - still on 'under review by department'. Trying hard to not compulsively refresh the portal
Mphil pol thought, history faculty. I know it's the weekend but still cannot stop checking. I wish they just froze us in some furturistic thing and unfroze only when the result came. Applied Jan7.
Last edited by reiseraft; 1 month ago
buckyish
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by gmay.s)
Hey guys! I applied to MPhil American History on November 6th - still on 'under review by department'. Trying hard to not compulsively refresh the portal
i feel you! i'm in the same boat as you, but applied in dec. hoping we both hear some good news these next few weeks!
reiseraft
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by buckyish)
i feel you! i'm in the same boat as you, but applied in dec. hoping we both hear some good news these next few weeks!
Has anyone had any progress at all in any history mphil lately? Especially Pol Thought and Intellectual History.
greensleeveless
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Just checked the portal and it's now showing 'awaiting approval by GAO'! (I applied to the MPhil in World History.)
trega13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by greensleeveless)
Just checked the portal and it's now showing 'awaiting approval by GAO'! (I applied to the MPhil in World History.)
Congratulations!
greensleeveless
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by trega13)
Congratulations!
Many thanks! I hope your application process is going well.
reiseraft
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Congratulations!! Super happy for you. GAO is pretty much unofficial acceptance. Just the formalities remain now more or less!
greensleeveless
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by reiseraft)
Congratulations!! Super happy for you. GAO is pretty much unofficial acceptance. Just the formalities remain more or less!
Hey, thanks a lot! I hope you hear some good news soon!
afroggyinawell
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
yayyyyyyy congrats!! may see you in October then
buckyish
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
congratulations!!!! woohoo!!!
boydivision
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Portal officially moved to "conditional offer made" !! Anyone have any idea how long it takes for the official letter to come through? Or what the MPhil conditions usually are for Americans?

EDIT: Just kidding! Offer email just came through- excited!
Last edited by boydivision; 4 weeks ago
aerinslivermist
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi everybody! My friend just got a conditional offer for MPhil in Modern European History. We’re both waiting for college allocation now. Applied for Girton and Newnham.
greensleeveless
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by afroggyinawell)
yayyyyyyy congrats!! may see you in October then
Thanks so much! You too. Perhaps, perhaps...
greensleeveless
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
congratulations!!!! woohoo!!!
Thank youuuuu!
student-bee
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi all,

I have been lurking here for quite some time. I just recieved a rejection for a funded History PhD after an interview yesterday. I'm feeling absolutely devastated as I know what they were looking for and believe I do have the experience, but felt under pressure when they told me I was running out of time during the interview that I didn't manage to express this. Good luck to everyone still waiting their results and the fortunate person that got accepted. This was my first and only PhD application so far, so I have gained some valuable experience. I'll likely be back next year!
Last edited by student-bee; 4 weeks ago
buckyish
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by student-bee)
Hi all,

I have been lurking here for quite some time. I just recieved a rejection for a funded History PhD after an interview yesterday. I'm feeling absolutely devastated as I know what they were looking for and believe I do have the experience, but felt under pressure when they told me I was running out of time during the interview that I didn't manage to express this. Good luck to everyone still waiting their results and the fortunate person that got accepted. This was my first and only application so far, so I have gained some valuable experience. I'll likely be back next year!
i'm so sorry to hear that! i'm glad to hear you're going to re-apply next year! i'm sending you all my best!
student-bee
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i'm so sorry to hear that! i'm glad to hear you're going to re-apply next year! i'm sending you all my best!
Thank you! Good luck on your future research too
reiseraft
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by student-bee)
Hi all,

I have been lurking here for quite some time. I just recieved a rejection for a funded History PhD after an interview yesterday. I'm feeling absolutely devastated as I know what they were looking for and believe I do have the experience, but felt under pressure when they told me I was running out of time during the interview that I didn't manage to express this. Good luck to everyone still waiting their results and the fortunate person that got accepted. This was my first and only PhD application so far, so I have gained some valuable experience. I'll likely be back next year!
Thank you so much for posting this. I've been only seeing GAO updates here and it feels like a lot when everyone who applied seems to be getting through. You sound sincere and positive, and it has to be their loss that they could not have you. Interviews can be pretty weird, and even if you are prepared things can go a bit haphazard sometimes. I hope you find a well good funded position soon :-)
student-bee
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by reiseraft)
Thank you so much for posting this. I've been only seeing GAO updates here and it feels like a lot when everyone who applied seems to be getting through. You sound sincere and positive, and it has to be their loss that they could not have you. Interviews can be pretty weird, and even if you are prepared things can go a bit haphazard sometimes. I hope you find a well good funded position soon :-)
Thank you so much for your positive message. This has been a nice community. At least I can stop anxiously refreshing this feed until next time. Haha.
trega13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Any other PhD applicants here who have had absolutely no movement with their application? I'm beginning to become rather deflated.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (71)
12.14%
Virtual campus tours/open days (142)
24.27%
Live streaming events (51)
8.72%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (55)
9.4%
A uni comparison tool (136)
23.25%
An in-person event when available (130)
22.22%