History MPhil / PhD 2021 Applicants Discussion

Watch
reiseraft
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by trega13)
Any other PhD applicants here who have had absolutely no movement with their application? I'm beginning to become rather deflated.
Mphil, but same story.
afroggyinawell
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by greensleeveless)
Thanks so much! You too. Perhaps, perhaps...
!! My offer came through today so October deffo!
greensleeveless
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by afroggyinawell)
Congratulations! I've also been accepted. Still waiting to hear back from another uni and will compare possible funding. Moreover, I haven't entirely decided to give up my career to go back to grad school. Decisions, decisions...
buckyish
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by afroggyinawell)
congrats!!!!
afroggyinawell
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by greensleeveless)
Congratulations! I've also been accepted. Still waiting to hear back from another uni and will compare possible funding. Moreover, I haven't entirely decided to give up my career to go back to grad school. Decisions, decisions...
(Original post by buckyish)
congrats!!!!
Thanks dudes! And yeah, it's tricky deciding, I feel!
Advertisement
Salty_Stalin
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by hehebot)
has anyone gotten college decisions? if so, where have you all been allocated?
I applied to Trinity College, but haven't heard from them. I got an offer from Cambridge roughly three weeks ago, so not sure whether to chase up the college with an e-mail. Any thoughts?
histmphil96
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Salty_Stalin)
I applied to Trinity College, but haven't heard from them. I got an offer from Cambridge roughly three weeks ago, so not sure whether to chase up the college with an e-mail. Any thoughts?
No don't email. People can take months to hear back from Trinity or King's. They are the most popular colleges (I think it's something like 80% of students put one of them as an option) and take a long time to hear back from.
Advertisement
aerinslivermist
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by hehebot)
has anyone gotten college decisions? if so, where have you all been allocated?
Got accepted at Girton today, my first choice. No email from them yet, I just saw it on the portal.
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi All,

I am a current second-year PhD History Student at the University of Hull.

If anyone has any questions about studying a PhD in HIstory, please feel free to get in contact with me Via the University of Hull 'Ask a Student' webpage - https://www.hull.ac.uk/study/ask-a-student
or via this thread

Good luck with the applications

Emily
University of Hull Student Representative
Advertisement
medievalhistgirl
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey everyone! Anyone else apply to the MPhil in Medieval History? I applied early Jan and my application is still under review by the department!
trega13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by medievalhistgirl)
Hey everyone! Anyone else apply to the MPhil in Medieval History? I applied early Jan and my application is still under review by the department!
Hey! I'm a PhD applicant but my focus is mediaeval. I also applied for the funding deadline in early January and my application is still under review. Maybe the mediaevalists are just... really busy right about now???
Advertisement
medievalhistgirl
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey! I'm a PhD applicant but my focus is mediaeval. I also applied for the funding deadline in early January and my application is still under review. Maybe the mediaevalists are just... really busy right about now???
Hey! It's great to see someone else in the same boat, fingers crossed that that's the case!
trega13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey! It's great to see someone else in the same boat, fingers crossed that that's the case!
I must admit, it's beginning to drive me a bit mad! It's very difficult not to read into it too much. I applied last year (for a PhD with a different department) and had an offer within a few weeks.... I'm trying not to regret not taking it!
Advertisement
medievalhistgirl
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I must admit, it's beginning to drive me a bit mad! It's very difficult not to read into it too much. I applied last year (for a PhD with a different department) and had an offer within a few weeks.... I'm trying not to regret not taking it!
Yes it so hard not to read into it! I am glad to hear of someone else who applied to the department and still has not seen any movement, I am going to take it as a good sign. I have offers from other unis but it is hard to be excited about them when I am still waiting on this one. I am also Canadian so need a visa to come study, I have only applied in the UK but can't go forward with the visa app until I accept an offer, so the delay is stressing me out!
histmphil96
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yes it so hard not to read into it! I am glad to hear of someone else who applied to the department and still has not seen any movement, I am going to take it as a good sign. I have offers from other unis but it is hard to be excited about them when I am still waiting on this one. I am also Canadian so need a visa to come study, I have only applied in the UK but can't go forward with the visa app until I accept an offer, so the delay is stressing me out!
As to the visa application, you can only apply for it from July onwards anyway!
Canihazitplz
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi all,

Guess I'll add my experience thus far in this cycle:

I applied for the two Cambridge History and Philosophy of Science MPhils. Had interview late January. During interview we talked about which one would be a better fit although it didn't seem like I needed to make a decision ASAP. Thought interview went ok, they said they looked forward to seeing me in the fall (maybe this is just courtesy) but was rejected from the less "fitting" program a few days later. No update on the other program. Haven't checked the portal in a few days but was under review last time. Kind of scared to check now, haha. I haven't been contacted by Gates Cambridge so looks like that is out.

Also applied to Oxford for a similar program but don't expect to hear back until March.

I'm also in the running for an external fully-funded scholarship as an international student. Don't know how to feel about this after already receiving a rejection from a program and no acceptances yet!

Good luck everyone!
medievalhistgirl
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by histmphil96)
As to the visa application, you can only apply for it from July onwards anyway!
Oh that's great to hear! Someone had told me I needed to apply ASAP, so I am relieved to hear that's not the case!
Advertisement
histmphil96
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Oh that's great to hear! Someone had told me I needed to apply ASAP, so I am relieved to hear that's not the case!
Nope. You can only apply soonest 3 months before the course start date
buckyish
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
on the official postgrad website, under the "what comes next" section, it says: "If your application is unsuccessful, you may receive notification of the outcome sooner than those who receive an offer. This is because the process for establishing all the components of an offer is more time consuming."

so i'm hoping now that no news at least doesn't necessarily mean bad news!
medievalhistgirl
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by buckyish)
on the official postgrad website, under the "what comes next" section, it says: "If your application is unsuccessful, you may receive notification of the outcome sooner than those who receive an offer. This is because the process for establishing all the components of an offer is more time consuming."

so i'm hoping now that no news at least doesn't necessarily mean bad news!
I am hoping the same! It is just a waiting game now, but I hope we both get good news
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (58)
13.33%
Virtual campus tours/open days (100)
22.99%
Live streaming events (39)
8.97%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (41)
9.43%
A uni comparison tool (100)
22.99%
An in-person event when available (97)
22.3%