The Student Room Group

History MPhil / PhD 2021 Applicants Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I got an offer for history PHD, don’t need funding as will be PT , I am an alumnae of a different college where I did my BA decades ago- also allocated to Newnham (as my former college doesn’t accept PT applicants- my supervisor is based there however). My offer is conditional on passing my current MRes - slight fear the MRes results won’t be out before Michaelmas term starts so may have to defer to Jan ‘22 start. See u there!
Original post by buckyish
on the official postgrad website, under the "what comes next" section, it says: "If your application is unsuccessful, you may receive notification of the outcome sooner than those who receive an offer. This is because the process for establishing all the components of an offer is more time consuming."

so i'm hoping now that no news at least doesn't necessarily mean bad news!

Thanks. I also began feeling better thinking this way. At least I'm happy that they took more than a month for whayever decision they are going to make. I've heard of people receiving a sorry no offer email in less than two weeks too.
Anyone hear anything about funding nominations from the dept? :smile:
Original post by pothosqueen

They've been made and sent to the funding bodies. However, last year they didn't tell applicants whether or not they'd been nominated, although in 2019 they did, so we'll have to see what they do this year.
Reply 84
Original post by pothosqueen

Yes. And to the above, they will tell you (at least they told me).

(Anyone know what your chances are once you're nominated?)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by eh1688

That’s great! Do you mind sharing when you heard? Was it an email from the department, or did you ask?
Have any History PhD students been informed about funding nominations?
Original post by eh1688

I was nominated for my MPhil and received a half scholarship from the Cambridge Trust about 2 months after receiving an email from the History Faculty about being nominated. Not sure how common it is to receive funding after being nominated - could have just been lucky. Congrats and best of luck!
Original post by eh1688

You heard this year from the department (not your supervisor?) about funding?

I really doubt it's the department because when they've told students in the past, all the emails (yeses and nos) went out within half an hour of one another.
Original post by histmphil96

I really doubt it's the department because when they've told students in the past, all the emails (yeses and nos) went out within half an hour of one another.

thank you histmphil96 for always having a great response ready!!
Reply 90

I can assure you that it was the department (or, more specifically, it was an email from a person at the department, not my supervisor). Though it was all organised rather chaotically. I received an email saying that they were considering nominating me for funding and to prepare a form, then I received an email saying that they had decided to nominate me for funding, and then I sent them the form that I had to prepare. This all had to be done in a few days which wasn't ideal.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by eh1688
I can assure you that it was the department (or, more specifically, it was an email from a person at the department, not my supervisor). Though it was all organised rather chaotically. I received an email saying that they were considering nominating me for funding and to prepare a form, then I received an email saying that they had decided to nominate me for funding, and then I sent them the form that I had to prepare. This all had to be done in a few days which wasn't ideal.

Is this because you are from a country/region or study a particular region with a specific scholarship? It sounds strange that they made you fill out a form in such a rush...congrats nonetheless!
Reply 92
Original post by flowersandcoffee
Is this because you are from a country/region or study a particular region with a specific scholarship? It sounds strange that they made you fill out a form in such a rush...congrats nonetheless!

This was the Cambridge ESRC DTP funding. (I applied for an MPhil in Economic and Social History.)
Original post by eh1688
This was the Cambridge ESRC DTP funding. (I applied for an MPhil in Economic and Social History.)

I don't understand how you could qualify for this, given a DTP is a doctoral training partnership and you are an MPhil.

Regardless, I see now how you would be different. Most History applicants only qualify for AHRC funding, except for economic and social history students. The processes between the research councils are different. I'm guessing you didn't fill out the form with your original application but are interested in funding you so need you to do it.

So it's not a 'we're going to tell everyone if they're nominated or not' but a specific invitation to nominate someone who they're interested in funding but they don't have the proper paperwork for.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 94
I don't understand how you could qualify for this, given a DTP is a doctoral training partnership and you are an MPhil.

Regardless, I see now how you would be different. Most History applicants only qualify for AHRC funding, except for economic and social history students. The processes between the research councils are different. I'm guessing you didn't fill out the form with your original application but are interested in funding you so need you to do it.

So it's not a 'we're going to tell everyone if they're nominated or not' but a specific invitation to nominate someone who they're interested in funding but they don't have the proper paperwork for.

1 + 3 degree.
Original post by eh1688
1 + 3 degree.

Ah, I see. Congrats! Hope you have good news from it :smile:.

To everyone else, there's really no need for you to freak out or expect imminent communication from the department. This is an isolated case and not indicative of them telling everyone whether they've been nominated or not yet (or ever).
Reply 96
Hi all, I've been lurking for a while but I'm getting a little worried since I've also had no movement on my PhD application. I know my proposed supervisor is on research leave so I wouldn't have been surprised if things took a bit longer, but is the fact that funding nominations have been decided but I haven't received an offer bad news?
Original post by kahluaj
Hi all, I've been lurking for a while but I'm getting a little worried since I've also had no movement on my PhD application. I know my proposed supervisor is on research leave so I wouldn't have been surprised if things took a bit longer, but is the fact that funding nominations have been decided but I haven't received an offer bad news?

For an offer? No. For funding? Maybe but it could also be held up getting to GAO. There’s no real way of knowing.
Reply 98
For an offer? No. For funding? Maybe but it could also be held up getting to GAO. There’s no real way of knowing.

Ah okay, that makes sense. Thanks for responding!
Congrats to everyone receiving their offers and good luck to those that are still waiting.

I'm looking for some application advice as I'm thinking to apply for History Mphil for 2022 entry and I think this is the best place to post seeing that there are so many successful applicants here. I'm sorry if this is not the right place to ask though! I'm wondering if I should start contacting potential supervisors as soon as I have an idea of my research proposal? Also, as I already have a master's degree, is it possible to get funding scholarships for a second master's? Any other general advice would be much appreciated please.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending