History MPhil / PhD 2021 Applicants Discussion

Watch
Vic2021
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I got an offer for history PHD, don’t need funding as will be PT , I am an alumnae of a different college where I did my BA decades ago- also allocated to Newnham (as my former college doesn’t accept PT applicants- my supervisor is based there however). My offer is conditional on passing my current MRes - slight fear the MRes results won’t be out before Michaelmas term starts so may have to defer to Jan ‘22 start. See u there!
reiseraft
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by buckyish)
on the official postgrad website, under the "what comes next" section, it says: "If your application is unsuccessful, you may receive notification of the outcome sooner than those who receive an offer. This is because the process for establishing all the components of an offer is more time consuming."

so i'm hoping now that no news at least doesn't necessarily mean bad news!
Thanks. I also began feeling better thinking this way. At least I'm happy that they took more than a month for whayever decision they are going to make. I've heard of people receiving a sorry no offer email in less than two weeks too.
pothosqueen
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Anyone hear anything about funding nominations from the dept?
histmphil96
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by pothosqueen)
They've been made and sent to the funding bodies. However, last year they didn't tell applicants whether or not they'd been nominated, although in 2019 they did, so we'll have to see what they do this year.
eh1688
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by pothosqueen)
Yes. And to the above, they will tell you (at least they told me).

(Anyone know what your chances are once you're nominated?)
Last edited by eh1688; 2 weeks ago
username5645426
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by eh1688)
That’s great! Do you mind sharing when you heard? Was it an email from the department, or did you ask?
flowersandcoffee
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Have any History PhD students been informed about funding nominations?
flowersandcoffee
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

I was nominated for my MPhil and received a half scholarship from the Cambridge Trust about 2 months after receiving an email from the History Faculty about being nominated. Not sure how common it is to receive funding after being nominated - could have just been lucky. Congrats and best of luck!
Pulchritudinous!
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by flowersandcoffee)
Have any History PhD students been informed about funding nominations?
Nope...
histmphil96
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

You heard this year from the department (not your supervisor?) about funding?

I really doubt it's the department because when they've told students in the past, all the emails (yeses and nos) went out within half an hour of one another.
flowersandcoffee
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by histmphil96)

I really doubt it's the department because when they've told students in the past, all the emails (yeses and nos) went out within half an hour of one another.
thank you histmphil96 for always having a great response ready!!
eh1688
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

I can assure you that it was the department (or, more specifically, it was an email from a person at the department, not my supervisor). Though it was all organised rather chaotically. I received an email saying that they were considering nominating me for funding and to prepare a form, then I received an email saying that they had decided to nominate me for funding, and then I sent them the form that I had to prepare. This all had to be done in a few days which wasn't ideal.
Last edited by eh1688; 2 weeks ago
flowersandcoffee
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I can assure you that it was the department (or, more specifically, it was an email from a person at the department, not my supervisor). Though it was all organised rather chaotically. I received an email saying that they were considering nominating me for funding and to prepare a form, then I received an email saying that they had decided to nominate me for funding, and then I sent them the form that I had to prepare. This all had to be done in a few days which wasn't ideal.
Is this because you are from a country/region or study a particular region with a specific scholarship? It sounds strange that they made you fill out a form in such a rush...congrats nonetheless!
eh1688
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by flowersandcoffee)
Is this because you are from a country/region or study a particular region with a specific scholarship? It sounds strange that they made you fill out a form in such a rush...congrats nonetheless!
This was the Cambridge ESRC DTP funding. (I applied for an MPhil in Economic and Social History.)
histmphil96
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
This was the Cambridge ESRC DTP funding. (I applied for an MPhil in Economic and Social History.)
I don't understand how you could qualify for this, given a DTP is a doctoral training partnership and you are an MPhil.

Regardless, I see now how you would be different. Most History applicants only qualify for AHRC funding, except for economic and social history students. The processes between the research councils are different. I'm guessing you didn't fill out the form with your original application but are interested in funding you so need you to do it.

So it's not a 'we're going to tell everyone if they're nominated or not' but a specific invitation to nominate someone who they're interested in funding but they don't have the proper paperwork for.
Last edited by histmphil96; 2 weeks ago
eh1688
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I don't understand how you could qualify for this, given a DTP is a doctoral training partnership and you are an MPhil.

Regardless, I see now how you would be different. Most History applicants only qualify for AHRC funding, except for economic and social history students. The processes between the research councils are different. I'm guessing you didn't fill out the form with your original application but are interested in funding you so need you to do it.

So it's not a 'we're going to tell everyone if they're nominated or not' but a specific invitation to nominate someone who they're interested in funding but they don't have the proper paperwork for.
1 + 3 degree.
histmphil96
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
1 + 3 degree.
Ah, I see. Congrats! Hope you have good news from it .

To everyone else, there's really no need for you to freak out or expect imminent communication from the department. This is an isolated case and not indicative of them telling everyone whether they've been nominated or not yet (or ever).
kahluaj
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi all, I've been lurking for a while but I'm getting a little worried since I've also had no movement on my PhD application. I know my proposed supervisor is on research leave so I wouldn't have been surprised if things took a bit longer, but is the fact that funding nominations have been decided but I haven't received an offer bad news?
histmphil96
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by kahluaj)
Hi all, I've been lurking for a while but I'm getting a little worried since I've also had no movement on my PhD application. I know my proposed supervisor is on research leave so I wouldn't have been surprised if things took a bit longer, but is the fact that funding nominations have been decided but I haven't received an offer bad news?
For an offer? No. For funding? Maybe but it could also be held up getting to GAO. There’s no real way of knowing.
kahluaj
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
For an offer? No. For funding? Maybe but it could also be held up getting to GAO. There’s no real way of knowing.
Ah okay, that makes sense. Thanks for responding!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (71)
12.14%
Virtual campus tours/open days (142)
24.27%
Live streaming events (51)
8.72%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (55)
9.4%
A uni comparison tool (136)
23.25%
An in-person event when available (130)
22.22%