The Student Room Group

How is RHB and Arfken used for physics major

[Are these the required maths books used in Oxford, or did they change already?]

1. What is the best way to use the general maths books? Can I use online lectures e.g. on MIT OCW for the content and then RHB/Arfken for questions? What is the style of using these general maths books in Oxford?
2.And are the questions and depth of content comparable to the ones seen in RHB/Arfken? I have RHB in the local library so I can compare.
Just asking because I wanna know the style of maths in Oxford for physics majors. (I heard that it's very maths intensive for the first year.)

BTW, will HRK physics be overkill for the PAT? I bought the book and liked it's style.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by PhysiKKid
[Are these the required maths books used in Oxford, or did they change already?]

1. What is the best way to use the general maths books? Can I use online lectures e.g. on MIT OCW for the content and then RHB/Arfken for questions? What is the style of using these general maths books in Oxford?
2.And are the questions and depth of content comparable to the ones seen in RHB/Arfken? I have RHB in the local library so I can compare.
Just asking because I wanna know the style of maths in Oxford for physics majors. (I heard that it's very maths intensive for the first year.)

BTW, will HRK physics be overkill for the PAT? I bought the book and liked it's style.

Can you please use full forms and not acronyms. is RHB: Riley, Hobson, and Bence? Is HRK: Halliday Resnick and Krane?
Original post by jassowal
Can you please use full forms and not acronyms. is RHB: Riley, Hobson, and Bence? Is HRK: Halliday Resnick and Krane?

Yup, spot on. Sorry for the ambiguity, I thought it'll be absolutely clear for the physics majors here, but I forgot that there are non-stem peeps also. Though I wouldn't want people that don't know these books well to say that it's an undergrad book, try A Level books. I don't like the style of A Level books (I've tried a few and they are TERRIBLE at explaining intuition and for problems, but those are the AEB 1990's ones. The current O Level books are too glossy and not much content & not good for understanding at a deeper level).
bump

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending