Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
This is kind of embarrassing but I don't really know how student loans work. Does the £9,000 you pay contribute towards accommodation, food and your studies? What about in second year, for rent, travel, food etc, are you expected to pay for it all by yourself or do you get a loan for that too? I'm sorry I'm just so confused and I don't really have anyone I can ask about it, sorry if these are stupid questions.
sulliz
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Nah the money is only for a piece of paper “called” ur degree. We have to pay for our own accommodation and what not.
3appleton
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
You get 2 loans - one for tuition fees (which is paid straight to the uni) and one for ‘maintenance’- this one can be used on whatever you need - accommodation, books, food etc. The amount your receive depends on what you request/are entitled to
Fresher18
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
This is kind of embarrassing but I don't really know how student loans work. Does the £9,000 you pay contribute towards accommodation, food and your studies? What about in second year, for rent, travel, food etc, are you expected to pay for it all by yourself or do you get a loan for that too? I'm sorry I'm just so confused and I don't really have anyone I can ask about it, sorry if these are stupid questions.
You don't need to feel like its a stupid question, student loans are complex things.

basically there's 2 parts
1. Tuition fee - £9250 paid directly to the Univeristy (everyone gets it for first degree if you apply)
2. Maintenance Loan - paid into your bank account in 3 instalments based on your household income upto £9300 outside London away from home

Your maintenance loan will go towards living expenses such as food accommodation partying etc.
These are all available throughout your degree up to a maximum of 5 years
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Fresher18)
You don't need to feel like its a stupid question, student loans are complex things.

basically there's 2 parts
1. Tuition fee - £9250 paid directly to the Univeristy (everyone gets it for first degree if you apply)
2. Maintenance Loan - paid into your bank account in 3 instalments based on your household income upto £9300 outside London away from home

Your maintenance loan will go towards living expenses such as food accommodation partying etc.
These are all available throughout your degree up to a maximum of 5 years
Ok thanks! Is it possible to live comfortably with the maintenance loan, or is it better to get a part time job? Also, why is it not available in London?
naeology
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi! You get both a tuition loan and a maintenance loan. The tuition loan will cover the costs over the whole of the 3/4 years of your course. Your maintenance loan will be calculated on the basis of your parents income. The maintenance loan is to cover accommodation, food, travel and all of those sorts of things and unless your parents situation changes the amount of money you get should stay the same for the 3/4 years. However the maintenance loan may not cover everything so parents are expected to help if for example the maintenance loan only covers accommodation. Of course you can get a job too.

Hope this helped
Anonymous #1
(Original post by naeology)
Hi! You get both a tuition loan and a maintenance loan. The tuition loan will cover the costs over the whole of the 3/4 years of your course. Your maintenance loan will be calculated on the basis of your parents income. The maintenance loan is to cover accommodation, food, travel and all of those sorts of things and unless your parents situation changes the amount of money you get should stay the same for the 3/4 years. However the maintenance loan may not cover everything so parents are expected to help if for example the maintenance loan only covers accommodation. Of course you can get a job too.

Hope this helped
Thanks so much! I didn't know about the maintenance loan so i just thought I would have to literally starve or quickly get a job now lol
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 3appleton)
You get 2 loans - one for tuition fees (which is paid straight to the uni) and one for ‘maintenance’- this one can be used on whatever you need - accommodation, books, food etc. The amount your receive depends on what you request/are entitled to
Ok thank you!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by sulliz)
Nah the money is only for a piece of paper “called” ur degree. We have to pay for our own accommodation and what not.
Haha ok thanks
Fresher18
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Ok thanks! Is it possible to live comfortably with the maintenance loan, or is it better to get a part time job? Also, why is it not available in London?
Depending on the amount of maintenance loan you get and how much you spend on accommodation and food etc. you could live on the student loan only, I know people that do but for me I live much more comfortably with my part time job topping up my student loan especially as when I was in halls it didnt cover my full rent until I received the final payment at easter so I had to use savings.

It is available in London there's just a higher amount for those studying in there of up to £12010 each year due to the higher cost of living
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Fresher18)
Depending on the amount of maintenance loan you get and how much you spend on accommodation and food etc. you could live on the student loan only, I know people that do but for me I live much more comfortably with my part time job topping up my student loan especially as when I was in halls it didnt cover my full rent until I received the final payment at easter so I had to use savings.

It is available in London there's just a higher amount for those studying in there of up to £12010 each year due to the higher cost of living
Ok thank you so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (33)
30.28%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.17%
No I am happy with my choice (59)
54.13%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (7)
6.42%

Watched Threads