The Student Room Group

Should i drop out year 12?

my mental health is really bad right now and my college literally don't care about anything but attendance. I'm struggling so much and i lowkey want to drop out but i don't want to mess my education up. Idk what to do.
Don’t drop out but only push yourself as far as you can.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Don’t drop out but only push yourself as far as you can.

Its so hard tho :/
Reply 3
my mental health is really bad right now and my college literally don't care about anything but attendance. I'm struggling so much and i lowkey want to drop out but i don't want to mess my education up. Idk what to do.

Similarly in my school the teachers or any staff don’t care about our mental health at all and just push it away. And I know how hard it can get, but don’t drop out because I don’t want you to regret it later onwards. If you need some time off of work or just away from school work email them, like the HOY, and explain to them how it’s effecting you. Make sure to not push yourself too much because working too hard is not good either. I hope you feel better soon!
Its so hard tho :/

I feel you but right now technically you don't have to go to school ( unless your breaking the rules :/ ) so feel free to message me if u want to talk about anything. I'm in year 11 and i just want to let u know... I'm here for u ... just pm me
Reply 5

I'm also in year 12 and my mental health is v bad rn. Please don't drop out! times are really hard rn and I really empathise with you :frown: please try open up to any family or friends, or any teachers you trust? sometimes we get the best advice from the people we least expect! try target specific problems by writing everything down that's bothering you and you might feel better?
Just turn your lessons on and leave it on mute dont drop out thats stupid

Are there any other courses that you would rather do instead?
Or maybe an apprenticeship?
If you have something else to go to then you can leave the a-levels or whatever course you are doing.
Reply 8
Original post by iamtee
Similarly in my school the teachers or any staff don’t care about our mental health at all and just push it away. And I know how hard it can get, but don’t drop out because I don’t want you to regret it later onwards. If you need some time off of work or just away from school work email them, like the HOY, and explain to them how it’s effecting you. Make sure to not push yourself too much because working too hard is not good either. I hope you feel better soon!

I've told them about something that happened that happened at home and they said to let them
Know beforehand bc i missed the lesson, like i can't control when something happens??
Reply 9
Original post by Violet_xox
I feel you but right now technically you don't have to go to school ( unless your breaking the rules :/ ) so feel free to message me if u want to talk about anything. I'm in year 11 and i just want to let u know... I'm here for u ... just pm me

youre so sweet thank you so much <3
Reply 10
Original post by FTheOpps
Just turn your lessons on and leave it on mute dont drop out thats stupid

idk what school you go to but in my lessons the teachers ask you question to make sure your engaging bruh
Original post by m0rb
I'm also in year 12 and my mental health is v bad rn. Please don't drop out! times are really hard rn and I really empathise with you :frown: please try open up to any family or friends, or any teachers you trust? sometimes we get the best advice from the people we least expect! try target specific problems by writing everything down that's bothering you and you might feel better?

Its not like my friends can do anything and i genuinely don't think the teachers care, i hope you feel better soon tho and thank you x
Original post by Emma:-)
Are there any other courses that you would rather do instead?
Or maybe an apprenticeship?
If you have something else to go to then you can leave the a-levels or whatever course you are doing.

I've been looking at apprenticeships, but i'm not sure and i kind of want to go uni :/
I've been looking at apprenticeships, but i'm not sure and i kind of want to go uni :/

You can progress on to doing degree level apprenticeships.
And that way at least you get a job at the end of it, whereas with actual uni you don't get that.
youre so sweet thank you so much <3

<3 your welcome hun xx

Hey, I’m Lucy, and I’m a mentally ill year 13 who just happened to have some similar thoughts to you in year 12! I ended up making the decision to stay, and I’ve just sent off my applications for uni- something I truly never pictured myself doing a year ago. Obviously, I have no knowledge of your struggles or situation so I’ll try my best to not be too ‘I know EXACTLY HOW YOU FEEL’-y. I can imagine you’re in a really difficult place (with covid on top of it all), and you have all my sympathy. Hopefully some of this waffle will be of help to you :biggrin:

Have you tried writing down some pros and cons? If not, could I recommend that you do? :smile:

I think putting your thoughts down on paper could be helpful to you. I’m not sure if you can relate, but when I was in your position I started out only focusing on the pros. I really liked the idea of not having any work or commitments to think about, but completely blindsided the part of dropping out where I’d have to actually do something else lmao. I don’t know, maybe that was just me being a bit of a mong, but either way, make sure you have a good think about both the pros AND the cons. (Don’t be a Lucy!)

Hopefully that’ll give you a clearer idea of the route that’s gonna unlock all that potential you got in you!

The fact that you’re seeking advice and putting a real effort into keeping your attendance up tells me all I need to know. If you think of dropping out as giving up, then I really hope you decide to keep going. I mean, look at how well you’re doing! Don’t you deserve to see the product of all your effort?

Anyway, I’ll stop here for now. I hope that’s been just a little bit of help, and if not, I hope you soon receive all support you need. I’ll keep an eye on this thread, so if you want to ask a stranger some questions (or even just talk), then I’ll be here :smile:

You got this anon,

Lucy
Original post by whatdayisit
Hey, I’m Lucy, and I’m a mentally ill year 13 who just happened to have some similar thoughts to you in year 12! I ended up making the decision to stay, and I’ve just sent off my applications for uni- something I truly never pictured myself doing a year ago. Obviously, I have no knowledge of your struggles or situation so I’ll try my best to not be too ‘I know EXACTLY HOW YOU FEEL’-y. I can imagine you’re in a really difficult place (with covid on top of it all), and you have all my sympathy. Hopefully some of this waffle will be of help to you :biggrin:

Have you tried writing down some pros and cons? If not, could I recommend that you do? :smile:

I think putting your thoughts down on paper could be helpful to you. I’m not sure if you can relate, but when I was in your position I started out only focusing on the pros. I really liked the idea of not having any work or commitments to think about, but completely blindsided the part of dropping out where I’d have to actually do something else lmao. I don’t know, maybe that was just me being a bit of a mong, but either way, make sure you have a good think about both the pros AND the cons. (Don’t be a Lucy!)

Hopefully that’ll give you a clearer idea of the route that’s gonna unlock all that potential you got in you!

The fact that you’re seeking advice and putting a real effort into keeping your attendance up tells me all I need to know. If you think of dropping out as giving up, then I really hope you decide to keep going. I mean, look at how well you’re doing! Don’t you deserve to see the product of all your effort?

Anyway, I’ll stop here for now. I hope that’s been just a little bit of help, and if not, I hope you soon receive all support you need. I’ll keep an eye on this thread, so if you want to ask a stranger some questions (or even just talk), then I’ll be here :smile:

You got this anon,

Lucy

First of all thank you so much, i really appreciate what you said and it really means a lot to me and i do want to go uni so thats the only things thats keeping me going tbh but its just the fact that i feel like i'm just not going to get the grades to go uni bc i'm struugling to put effort into work etc and its nearly February :/
Ah sorry, I think I read your post wrong, my bad!Have you heard of foundations courses before? They’re kind of like a way for people to get into a degree course they aren’t fully qualified for (didn’t take the correct alevels/ didn’t earn enough ucas points), by taking an extra year to get up to degree standard... or at least that’s how it was explained to me. I’m having to apply to 4 foundation courses myself, after I dropped one of my three Alevels in year 12. There was also the option of taking a gap year and taking an extra Alevel then (which is still kind of open to me if I decide not to accept any offers this year!).I’m not sure how much those two particular options appeal, but just know there’s always a way- if you want to get into uni then you will. Just in some cases, it might take a bit longer :smile:Hope this is a bit more helpful lmao, don’t be too hard on yourself about the grades :biggrin:All the best x

Quick Reply

Latest