Do I need to be good at maths to study accounting and finance

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I got a 6 in GCSE and didn’t study any math related subjects for A levels I did Psychology, sociology and Politics.

I’m intrigued in pursuing a career in accountancy if I was to take the university route would my a levels subjects be enough and is the maths really hard?
Shah99
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
In MY opinion, the actual accounting is adding/subtracting and sometimes dividing. But the maths module in first year (for the uni I went to) was similar to A Level Maths
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
For accounting degrees probably not, it's going to be mostly around GCSE level maths I expect. For finance degrees, it depends exactly on the content of the course, as that can vary from similar levels of maths to accounting, to the kind of maths they do on a maths degree. In accountancy as a profession I don't think the maths is particularly sophisticated, although there is probably a lot of data to be manipulating in spreadsheets etc, and you will need to know at least GCSE level maths to be able to implement relevnat formulae and suchlike in those I would assume.

Bear in mind that accountancy grad schemes usually recruit applicants from any degree background, so they may well have people with history degrees or similar who haven't done much maths or quanitative work at all since school being recruited. They probably will have needed to demonstrate some competency in those areas through the recruitment process, but again this isn't likely to be more than GCSE level maths. You aren't going to need to be doing calculus to be an accountant.
scorpion95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I would say that you don't overly need to be but depends on whether you go to uni or not. I wouldn't recommend going to uni to do a finance degree as I don't think many businesses will really take notice overall. I would instead look at undertaking AAT to begin with which will start as level 2 and goes up to level 4, after completed level 4 you can choose ACCA, CIMA etc which will be cheaper than uni as generally the cost of level 2 is around £1500 which includes materials/exams etc, level 3 around £2300 and level 4 around £2800-3000.

It would depend on where about you live as if you go self study you will have to find a local assessment centre to sit exams which the costs vary from £70 to over £120 but overall cost could be lower than the above. If you go to a local college to study AAT then the above figures is roughly what you would pay.
martin7
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I got a 6 in GCSE and didn’t study any math related subjects for A levels I did Psychology, sociology and Politics.

I’m intrigued in pursuing a career in accountancy if I was to take the university route would my a levels subjects be enough and is the maths really hard?
One of my maths teachers once commented that you learn all the maths you need to be an accountant by age 12.

As an example, I've just looked at what Bristol offers in the way of degrees with "accounting" in the title.

Accounting and Finance (http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/under...nting-finance/) lists its standard A-level offer as being "AAA including Mathematics, or A*AB including A in Mathematics"

Accounting and Management (http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/under...nd-management/) lists the standard A-level offer as "AAA or A*AB" (without specifying subjects), and lists a numeracy requirement as "7 or A in GCSE Mathematics or equivalent".

This indicates that the "Finance" component needs a higher level of maths than the accountancy part.

If you're thinking of studying an accountancy course at a university, check to see what the admissions requirements are. If you need to be good at maths, then they'll require an A-level (or equivalent) in it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads