The Student Room Group

Computer science in uni without further Maths?

Can you get into Oxford/Cambridge/the highest ranking universities in the UK with the courses : phycology, computer science and politics.

Im predicted A in all three of the courses.
This is what I got for my GCSES (don't know if that helps):
Maths-5
English lit- 9
English lang- 9
French- 5
History- 9
Computer Science- 9
R.E- 9

I didn't do Further Maths or Maths for A-levels and im confused on the entry requirements.
So can I do 'computer science' with what I have?
(edited 3 years ago)
Computer science is very maths-y and for oxbridge (and most other top ranking unis) you definitely need maths. Even at unis that don't require maths alevel will probably want at least a 6 at GCSE.
It is still possible to do computer science at a high ranking uni (although probably not oxbridge) as lots of unis allow you to do a foundation year if you don't have the right subjects. However, I'd definitely recommend really looking into the content of a computer science degree if your not big on maths, because there will be much more maths than you think.
Reply 2
Unfortunately you can’t really. You need mathematics, it’s essential. Much of the course in computer science is maths based. Also; especially since you only have a 5 in GCSE. It would be almost impossible for you to even try for the admissions test.
Reply 3
you’re going to definitely need maths a level to apply to oxford. also that 5 in GCSE maths will hinder you.

Quick Reply

Latest