Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I am currently studying level 3 health and social care and i am taking a gap year to retake GCSES science as the courses i want to do require them. My teacher has told me that the NMC course you are qualified to do both midwifery and nursing and i am so confused on how to do there. Is there a degree where you need to complete do both? what do you need to study in order to become both of them. Like how do i become get into both professional. Anyone who has been part of the NMC please help me as i am completely lost.
millsr
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
There aren't any degrees that will allow you to do both, however, if you do an undergraduate degree in adult nursing, there is the option to do a shortened course and become a midwife. These are very competitive courses to get onto though, and while they do allow you to register as both a nurse and a midwife, you can only really work as one at any given time (unless you do bank shifts or something like that). I'd pick the one you want to do and complete your undergraduate degree in that.
moosec
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
As rightly mentioned above, you study a specific field which allows you to register with the NMC. There’s no such thing as an NMC Course... only degrees in a certain field (Adult nursing, Child nursing, MH nursing, LD Nursing, and Midwifery) which are accredited by & allow you to register with the NMC in the field you’ve studied.
As millsr has very correctly said, there’s currently a route for adult nurses to do a shortened ‘fast-track’ course to become midwives, but as far as I’m aware these shortened midwifery courses are currently in the process of being phased out (the number of uni’s offering this is becoming steadily less and less.) The roles of nurses and midwifes are vastly different, it’s worth doing some reading into midwifery & each of the nursing fields to figure out which area you’re most interested in
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (205)
43.9%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (52)
11.13%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (36)
7.71%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (99)
21.2%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (48)
10.28%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.78%

Watched Threads