The Student Room Group

moving out for university thats in the same city

basically I want to move out for uni, it takes around two hours to get there by bus & train and I have always been late during sixth form. So would it be worth it to move out for a uni thats in the same city that I live in, has anyone done that?
Forgive me, I'm a countryside gal but 2 hours...for something in the same city? I didn't know that was even a thing lol. I think with a commute that long (there and back?) its reasonable to move closer. Back in college I was commuting 50 mins by car, but this could go up to 2 hours in rush hour if I used public transport home and though I used the time to read or study, it was still draining.

I'm not sure "being late" should be your main motivation for moving out/living at home. Moving out is a big step; are you prepared for the responsibility and independence? Alternatively do you think you need to take this step at this point in your life. Coronavirus- while this (hopefully) won't effect subsequent years, It will still affect the 21-22 academic year so bear in mind where you'd rather be living if there are any more lockdowns: at home with family? on your own or possibly in halls with peers?

Also consider cost, moving out you will be paying rent which is a big expense (I'm assuming you don't pay rent currently) But there is also a cost to commuting, this depends on the area though. From my experience cities usually have good public transport provisions with annual travel cards but again I'm only really familiar with living in a semi rural area with two buss routes to the nearest towns.

Whichever option you choose in the end its a big commitment and step in life and again, not one I think should be governed solely by your timekeeping skills, after all this can always be worked on.
Reply 2
Original post by lol.yolo
Forgive me, I'm a countryside gal but 2 hours...for something in the same city? I didn't know that was even a thing lol. I think with a commute that long (there and back?) its reasonable to move closer. Back in college I was commuting 50 mins by car, but this could go up to 2 hours in rush hour if I used public transport home and though I used the time to read or study, it was still draining.

I'm not sure "being late" should be your main motivation for moving out/living at home. Moving out is a big step; are you prepared for the responsibility and independence? Alternatively do you think you need to take this step at this point in your life. Coronavirus- while this (hopefully) won't effect subsequent years, It will still affect the 21-22 academic year so bear in mind where you'd rather be living if there are any more lockdowns: at home with family? on your own or possibly in halls with peers?

Also consider cost, moving out you will be paying rent which is a big expense (I'm assuming you don't pay rent currently) But there is also a cost to commuting, this depends on the area though. From my experience cities usually have good public transport provisions with annual travel cards but again I'm only really familiar with living in a semi rural area with two buss routes to the nearest towns.

Whichever option you choose in the end its a big commitment and step in life and again, not one I think should be governed solely by your timekeeping skills, after all this can always be worked on.

to be honest I think it will be worth it. I was told that I should move out to learn new things and become more independent plus i dont really like living with my parents.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending