Accommodation closest to the History dept?

Watch this thread
justjas33
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have an offer to study History and Middle Eastern Studies under the FCH course at Exeter and I’ve been looking into accommodation today just to have an idea but I was wondering which residences are closest to the History dept and dept of MES? Exeter are very generous with the amount of accommodation they have on offer (and they all seem lovely) so it would be nice to narrow down the search a little😅
Thanks in advance
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
bump
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by justjas33)
I have an offer to study History and Middle Eastern Studies under the FCH course at Exeter and I’ve been looking into accommodation today just to have an idea but I was wondering which residences are closest to the History dept and dept of MES? Exeter are very generous with the amount of accommodation they have on offer (and they all seem lovely) so it would be nice to narrow down the search a little😅
Thanks in advance
Aren't the locations of the accommodation and the two departments on the uni website?
justjas33
Rep:
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Aren't the locations of the accommodation and the two departments on the uni website?
Yes but it’s difficult as the maps aren’t the clearest - there’s a desperate accommodation map and a desperate map for other buildings and depts...I figured they’d be an easier way to do it?
ageshallnot
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Yes but it’s difficult as the maps aren’t the clearest - there’s a desperate accommodation map and a desperate map for other buildings and depts...I figured they’d be an easier way to do it?
Well, I found out from the History department website that they are located in the Amory building on the Streatham campus. I then looked at the list of halls and chose Birks Grange at random. Then I put those 2 into Google maps and voilà, it's a 17 minute walk! You can do the others! 😁
justjas33
Rep:
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Well, I found out from the History department website that they are located in the Amory building on the Streatham campus. I then looked at the list of halls and chose Birks Grange at random. Then I put those 2 into Google maps and voilà, it's a 17 minute walk! You can do the others! 😁
Oh fair enough, thank you! Can’t believe I didn’t think of that😅
artful_lounger
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
The Islamic & Arabic Studies centre and the Amory Building are on different sides of campus (but it's not a very big campus so it's like a 5 minute walk between the two, albeit up hills either way ) so what is closest to one will be further than the other. You can either go for the clump of accom at the bottom of cardiac hill (Birks Grange etc, nearer IAIS) or the ones on the other side of campus nearer the city centre (Lafrowda etc, nearer history), or you can for one of the halls further in town and just walk/bus to the uni (which will be nearer history).

This map will give you an idea of which other halls are near those two named examples: https://www.exeter.ac.uk/media/unive...Radius_map.JPG

Note that if you live in town it'll still probably take about as long to get to either if you get the bus in (every 15 mins from city centre when I was there), it's just whether you get off at the final stop (nearer history) or the request stop at the top of the hill (nearer IAIS), which is about 2min before the final stop.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 year ago
justjas33
Rep:
(Original post by artful_lounger)
The Islamic & Arabic Studies centre and the Amory Building are on different sides of campus (but it's not a very big campus so it's like a 5 minute walk between the two, albeit up hills either way ) so what is closest to one will be further than the other. You can either go for the clump of accom at the bottom of cardiac hill (Birks Grange etc, nearer IAIS) or the ones on the other side of campus nearer the city centre (Lafrowda etc, nearer history), or you can for one of the halls further in town and just walk/bus to the uni (which will be nearer history).

This map will give you an idea of which other halls are near those two named examples: https://www.exeter.ac.uk/media/unive...Radius_map.JPG

Note that if you live in town it'll still probably take about as long to get to either if you get the bus in (every 15 mins from city centre when I was there), it's just whether you get off at the final stop (nearer history) or the request stop at the top of the hill (nearer IAIS), which is about 2min before the final stop.
Ah this is super helpful, thank you so much. I was looking at the new East Park accommodation as it’s stunning...super generous with how modern it is. I think that’s close to Lafrowda so that could be a nice fit? I doubt I’ll mind the walk to the IAIS dept, considering they’re on opposite sides, and it’ll be a nice way to get some steps in aha. Thanks again!
artful_lounger
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Ah this is super helpful, thank you so much. I was looking at the new East Park accommodation as it’s stunning...super generous with how modern it is. I think that’s close to Lafrowda so that could be a nice fit? I doubt I’ll mind the walk to the IAIS dept, considering they’re on opposite sides, and it’ll be a nice way to get some steps in aha. Thanks again!
It's not that far away by the look of it, it's still on campus. That wasn't there when I was in Exe though - I don't think there was anything there actually? So it might be further than it looks on a map to me lol
justjas33
Rep:
(Original post by artful_lounger)
It's not that far away by the look of it, it's still on campus. That wasn't there when I was in Exe though - I don't think there was anything there actually? So it might be further than it looks on a map to me lol
Oh fair! I think it only opened this year? But yeah I’ll have a look into it, esp if I end up firming Exeter
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (59)
16.25%
The paper was reasonable (177)
48.76%
Not feeling great about that exam... (91)
25.07%
It was TERRIBLE (36)
9.92%

Watched Threads