okthen_1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hello everyone

Can you please tell me any jobs that involve helping people?

Preferably in a health setting but not necessary.

Thankss
MindMax2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Depends on your defintion of 'help'. In theory, all jobs involve a form of helping in one way or another i.e. you're serving an individual, or providing a good to aid the wellbeing of a group.

Most occupations that come to mind will be healthcare. Doctor, nurse, counsellor, psychiatrist, physiotherapist, radiographer, therapist of any kind, dietician, nutritionist.

You can opt for an advisory role, but they tend to entail legal risk and a lot of professional rules you have to follow e.g. financial advisor, mortgage advisor, accountant, solicitor. You can get a job in less regulated roles such as providing career advice, or being a teaching assistant.

The epitome of helping would be work in the charity sector. However, the type of work can range from being a CEO to a fundraiser. You might also have to think how effective are your efforts in helping people.

If you feel like you want to raise your ability to make an impact, you can try research roles. However, these jobs can be hard to come by. Scientitic (especially medical) research can be of huge help, but the jobs can be limited (for reasons still unknownst to me). Economic/development research can be of a significant help provided you can make breakthroughs and the jobs are plentiful (they usually aren't).

Social work can be considered helping in some form, but it's not an easy job and the pay is not great.

Customer advisory or technical help can be considered helping, but to what extent and whether the job meets your needs will depend on how you define helping. Being a call advisor for mental health lines or medical help could be of interest.

Joining the armed forces can also be considered helping defend the country.

As an entrepreneur, you could define your role as finding a problem people are willing to pay for you to help solve. However, there is a profit motive, and the question of whether you are genuinely serving the goal of helping people or you're doing it for the money arises often. Having said that, you could always have a social enterprise or a non-for-profit.

As a personal/lab assistant, you can be considered helping the CEO/professor with their work

You could be a life coach and help people get out of the rut they're in.

You could be a personal trainer and help people get into better shape.

You could be an author of books that help people better themselves in at least one aspect of their lives. You could also be a YouTuber dishing out the same advice online in video format, or a podcaster in audio format.

You could be a private tutor who helps students improve their grades.

You could be a mentor to people and guide them on the best path to their goals - more of a side gig for little to no pay than an actual job.

You could be an engineer who helps companies improve their systems and workflows. On the other hand, you could be a programmer who designs apps and software that improve efficiency of tasks and make life easier in general.

You could work in any trade where you help people in their homes or companies e.g. plumber, electrician, gas fitter

You could be a travel agent, helping people find ways to have a good time. Failing that, a comedian or performer who helps people cheer up.

You could be a maid and help with the housework, or a cleaner and help clean stuff nobody wants to clean.

You will also have to think about the level of competition for the job. If the competition is high, despite what the job actually does, can you seriously consider it helping when you could have done something else? Often than not, the pay for helping jobs tend not to be that high.

So yeah, a narrower definition to what you actually want might help.
okthen_1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi thanks for the replies,

I want to help people and make a positive impact. Maybe in healthcare
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by okthen_1)
Hello everyone

Can you please tell me any jobs that involve helping people?

Preferably in a health setting but not necessary.

Thankss
Nursing
Care jobs (eg care homes or the carers who go round to people's houses).
Dentists or the dental assistants (whatever they are called).
Teaching assistant (helping kids with their work etc)
Nursery nurses- caring for babies/small children.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (8)
10.39%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (50)
64.94%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (11)
14.29%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (7)
9.09%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
1.3%

Watched Threads