The Student Room Group

Feeling distressed

Yes I'm struggling to sleep

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm just extremely extremely petrified about my future like I'm honestly scared on a whole new level about it. I cant even describe how scared I am
Reply 2
Please
Reply 3
Urgent
Reply 4
What are you distressed about?
Hey man whats wrong? What are you worrying about? I'm guessing it's a big decision coming ahead for you?
Reply 6
live day by day & dont look too far ahead into the future.. the future is uncertain for everyone that is whats so nice about it its not set in stone :smile: try to embrace the uncertainty and make it what u want rather than be afraid of it
Reply 7
Original post by Kerzen
What are you distressed about?

My future
Original post by V℮rsions
Hey man whats wrong? What are you worrying about? I'm guessing it's a big decision coming ahead for you?

I'm just scared of my future like im looking forward to some stuff like, getting a car, moving out, getting stuff but im just so ****ing extremely petrified about it like my career and stuff. Im unsure
Reply 8
Original post by soph27
live day by day & dont look too far ahead into the future.. the future is uncertain for everyone that is whats so nice about it its not set in stone :smile: try to embrace the uncertainty and make it what u want rather than be afraid of it

But one day I will just wake up and ill be in my future
Original post by Anonymous
My future

I'm just scared of my future like im looking forward to some stuff like, getting a car, moving out, getting stuff but im just so ****ing extremely petrified about it like my career and stuff. Im unsure

I've definitely felt these feelings, and it's ok to be worrying about them and thinking about them non-stop at this point in your life. What's important is that we learn to take a moment away from everyone and everything, sit in silence in the dark and just allow ourselves to feel this emotion. Feel the weird cramps in the stomach and head it's causing, the words popping up in your head. Don't allow them to consume you, just let them come and go. If you can identify what you are feeling, it's much easier to recognise and resolve in the future. It could be fear, uneasiness, worry, lack of security - these might all sound the same but they really aren't, and it's hard to know what exactly that feeling is that you're experiencing. Everyone has been in your shoes and we all know what it's like, thats one thing you should remember, we've either all done it or are doing it with you and that you're not alone in this feeling.

Another very important thing to remember is that it's better to feel than it is to dismiss these emotions.
I've definitely felt these feelings, and it's ok to be worrying about them and thinking about them non-stop at this point in your life. What's important is that we learn to take a moment away from everyone and everything, sit in silence in the dark and just allow ourselves to feel this emotion. Feel the weird cramps in the stomach and head it's causing, the words popping up in your head. Don't allow them to consume you, just let them come and go. If you can identify what you are feeling, it's much easier to recognise and resolve in the future. It could be fear, uneasiness, worry, lack of security - these might all sound the same but they really aren't, and it's hard to know what exactly that feeling is that you're experiencing. Everyone has been in your shoes and we all know what it's like, thats one thing you should remember, we've either all done it or are doing it with you and that you're not alone in this feeling.

Another very important thing to remember is that it's better to feel than it is to dismiss these emotions.

How old are you mate?
I understand it just i always just worry so ****ing much and lose sleep so damn often
How old are you mate?
I understand it just i always just worry so ****ing much and lose sleep so damn often

I'm not that old myself man, 17 turning 18 soon. But this year I'm moving out, and last year I passed my test, so I definitely know what some of your worries are like. For me my biggest one was choosing a university and potentially moving to a new city, however over the past year I've really been working on identifying why I was feeling so negative, and I've built up a pretty good system where I can go: "oh, this is insecurity, I'm probably feeling this because of financial problems" or "oh, this is worry, I'm probably feeling this because I won't know anyone".

The problem of worrying too much isn't one of 'that's just how you are' or 'it's just too stressful', but instead it's a consequence of not fully understanding how you are feeling, and therefore not being able to tackle these negative thought head on. It's probably not something you're going to be able to resolve tonight unfortunately, more of a skill you're going to have to build up over a few months - non of the fast-working advice works.
I'm not that old myself man, 17 turning 18 soon. But this year I'm moving out, and last year I passed my test, so I definitely know what some of your worries are like. For me my biggest one was choosing a university and potentially moving to a new city, however over the past year I've really been working on identifying why I was feeling so negative, and I've built up a pretty good system where I can go: "oh, this is insecurity, I'm probably feeling this because of financial problems" or "oh, this is worry, I'm probably feeling this because I won't know anyone".

The problem of worrying too much isn't one of 'that's just how you are' or 'it's just too stressful', but instead it's a consequence of not fully understanding how you are feeling, and therefore not being able to tackle these negative thought head on. It's probably not something you're going to be able to resolve tonight unfortunately, more of a skill you're going to have to build up over a few months - non of the fast-working advice works.

I just don’t know anymore
I've been feeling the same too recently. For example, I don't know what higher education route I want to take (already on a gap year due to 2020 A-level fiasco), I don't know if I'll be happy in the different career options I'm looking at. I worry about if I'll ever be married and have a family. Or buy a house in a place where I could settle and call home.

All these strange and nagging thoughts... They can get to you, particularly when you are locked up in a massive situation in which normality has been ablitarated and you little no control over. It happens to the best of us. I think it's part of being young and maturing. It's not all bad, certainly not something to overthink and panic about.

I've found that getting less screen time helps; completely removing myself from social media - reading a book, exercising and remembering that we live in a real physical world. Also speak to people (I know that's difficult atm). I'm saying this as an 18 year old male, turning 19 soon, (even that thought scares me sometimes). Try to live everyday in the now. But remember, we can't predict the future. We can only prepare ourselves for it. View it as an adventure - who knows what will happen! BUT, things will all work out in the end :smile:
I just don’t know anymore

For tonight I'd just lie in bed and try to work through what exactly you're scared of 1 by 1. It's late and therefore not the best time to jump straight into writing this all out (writing is the best exercise for solidifying your own emotions without being with a therapist).
Whats scary about learning to drive? Why do you think that is scary? Are you giving yourself the benefit of the doubt or are you devaluing yourself with this thought? -- Ask yourself these questions about each fear you have. You're most likely going to fall asleep in the process. Turning off screens is a good thing to do as well of course, the backlight keeps you awake. I will be online for probably the next hour until around 2am though if you need someone to talk to. I don't have everything in life figured out but what I do feel confident in I share. :smile:
For tonight I'd just lie in bed and try to work through what exactly you're scared of 1 by 1. It's late and therefore not the best time to jump straight into writing this all out (writing is the best exercise for solidifying your own emotions without being with a therapist).
Whats scary about learning to drive? Why do you think that is scary? Are you giving yourself the benefit of the doubt or are you devaluing yourself with this thought? -- Ask yourself these questions about each fear you have. You're most likely going to fall asleep in the process. Turning off screens is a good thing to do as well of course, the backlight keeps you awake. I will be online for probably the next hour until around 2am though if you need someone to talk to. I don't have everything in life figured out but what I do feel confident in I share. :smile:

Its not driving that is scaring me because im pretty much test ready now. Im just extremely petrified of my career because I don't have any qualifications, I was supposed to be retaking my Maths and English gcses this year but the government have cancelled them, retaking any other year isn't an option because I have a young nephew who i have to childcare from September so this year was my only chance to get my basic key qualifications but I have lost it.
Just want my life over and done with

Hey

Do you live alone?
You have parent/s, sibling/s, firned/s???
Call the Samaritans for a chat and as others said most of us been through that.
See you GP, trust me you may be pleasantly surprised.
You are not alone
Take care, friend
x
Original post by Wolfbangenoff
Hey

Do you live alone?
You have parent/s, sibling/s, firned/s???
Call the Samaritans for a chat and as others said most of us been through that.
See you GP, trust me you may be pleasantly surprised.
You are not alone
Take care, friend
x

I live with my family
Yes
I live with my family
Yes

Are you scared like something is going to happen to you.
Its not driving that is scaring me because im pretty much test ready now. Im just extremely petrified of my career because I don't have any qualifications, I was supposed to be retaking my Maths and English gcses this year but the government have cancelled them, retaking any other year isn't an option because I have a young nephew who i have to childcare from September so this year was my only chance to get my basic key qualifications but I have lost it.

Are you doing this privately or with your school / college? The Government haven't confirmed anything yet and if possible then an exam later in the year (Sept / Nov) could be available but again, no confirmation. The problem with the whole exam cancellation thing is that there really is no answer to be found until the Government release it, and that all we can do right now is wait and keep ourselves active. I'd imagine this puts you at a very uncomfortable place right now when trying to sleep and all you can do is get lost worrying in your thoughts... it's a hard time right now, the whole student body is here for you man. Keeping focused on earning your GCSE's is the important thing right now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending