English literature degree with no a level??

Watch this thread
Katiefitzger
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
TL;DR can I do English lit degree with only an English language a level??

Stupid as it sounds, I didn’t realise you needed an English literature A level in order to do a degree. And I really, really want to do English Literature. It’s my only interest.

But English literature is really what I’m good at. It’s a long story but I got a 3 in my gcse (bad at exams I guess- lots of crying lmao) in literature but was predicted an 8. I got an 8 in English language.

I’m now in year twelve, doing English language, Re and History A levels and was wondering if it was still possible to do an English literature degree???

Everywhere I’ve looked states an English lit a level is required. Perhaps I can take an English lit a level at 19??
Martinpmw
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Katiefitzger)

Stupid as it sounds, I didn’t realise you needed an English literature A level in order to do a degree. And I really, really want to do English Literature. It’s my only interest.

But English literature is really what I’m good at. It’s a long story but I got a 3 in my gcse (bad at exams I guess- lots of crying lmao) in literature but was predicted an 8. I got an 8 in English language.

I’m now in year twelve, doing English language, Re and History A levels and was wondering if it was still possible to do an English literature degree???

Everywhere I’ve looked states an English lit a level is required. Perhaps I can take an English lit a level at 19??
you could ask if you could do English Lit lang. The courses shouldn't differ to much as well, considering half of the course is English language anyway
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Katiefitzger)

I think you should look at combined courses in English Language and Literature, as some of those will accept A level English Lit or Language, like this one at Nottingham (admittedly most still require A level English Lit). Or just look more widely at English Lit degrees as not all unis require A level English Lit, some like this one at Reading will accept related subjects.

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy...-Literature-BA

https://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-s...iterature.aspx
Katiefitzger
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
I think you should look at combined courses in English Language and Literature, as some of those will accept A level English Lit or Language, like this one at Nottingham (admittedly most still require A level English Lit). Or just look more widely at English Lit degrees as not all unis require A level English Lit, some like this one at Reading will accept related subjects.

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy...-Literature-BA

https://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-s...iterature.aspx

That’s really helpful, thank you so much!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (13)
30.23%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (16)
37.21%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
4.65%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (2)
4.65%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (3)
6.98%
I’m starting to consider my university options (6)
13.95%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
2.33%

Watched Threads