Geography or History GCSE?

Watch this thread
username5621498
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I need to pick what GCSEs I'm taking in two weeks, and I'm not sure if I want to take history or geography. I want to study law once I've done GCSEs and I think history would be better for that, but I'm really not sure. Also, are there any other subjects I should really take if I want to study law?
Mayataylor
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
history!: superior subject by far. But GCSEs don’t matter, pick what you like and what you might want to study at a-level
sublime-baths
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Funny someone asked this exact question not long after you lol. What GCSEs you do really don’t matter when it comes to pursuing law - what matters more is what grades you get in them and in future exams (a levels and beyond).

So do the subject you feel more comfortable with.
username5621498
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by sublime-baths)
Funny someone asked this exact question not long after you lol. What GCSEs you do really don’t matter when it comes to pursuing law - what matters more is what grades you get in them and in future exams (a levels and beyond).

So do the subject you feel more comfortable with.
Thanks - I think I'll do history then
username5622400
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I think Geography personally Is way better it’s more just about memorising facts and explaining them.
sublime-baths
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Georgina06)
Thanks - I think I'll do history then
No problem! Best of luck and work hard
ll ACR ll
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I need to pick what GCSEs I'm taking in two weeks, and I'm not sure if I want to take history or geography. I want to study law once I've done GCSEs and I think history would be better for that, but I'm really not sure. Also, are there any other subjects I should really take if I want to study law?
I chose history because I like it. It is subjective
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
It won't matter - I'd read the spec and see which interests you the most
username3477548
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mayataylor)
history!: superior subject by far. But GCSEs don’t matter, pick what you like and what you might want to study at a-level
oof

i did geo, would recommend as its easy, but since you want to study law maybe history is the way to go
iram_xo
Badges: 5
Report 1 year ago
I took history as a GCSE and I now take Law at A-Level. Personally, I loved history it’s a very interesting subject but honestly there isn’t that much of a link and I preferred it much more than geography. So you should take whichever you prefer and find more rewarding to learn. Law is really interesting, there are very few specific history aspects and it’s not required to know a lot. Sorry if I’ve waffled 😬 but good luck
16omarshall
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hi,

I am terrible at decision making, so I decided to take both subjects. Personally, I much prefer Geography because what's taught is so much more relevant and intersting. History was my favourite subject when I picked my GCSEs, but there's a lot of focus on exam questions and there is a lot of wrinting to do in a short space of time for the exams, so I find that I can never write as much as I want, which is very frustrating. Also, there's a lot more memorisation to do for History and more to learn. In Geography, you can easily pick up marks just by using common sense, so the exams are easier.
Everyone else I know who does both subjects also prefers Geography, which gets much more interesting at GCSE because it includes both the scientific and human aspects of Geography and gets you to consider real issues, which will be very useful for studying law. I think History is possibly less useful because as you have so much to learn, it's easy to forget it quickly once you've done the exam.

But if you really love History, than do it.
Gxmyl
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
When applying for Law (and this is the case in most courses), they only look at your English and Math grades and I think Science too? GCSE History is not a requirement to take A level Law or even History, so you would be fine if you wanted to pick Geography.

Simply choose whichever one interests you more and you'll find it much easier when it comes to revision.
Last edited by Gxmyl; 1 year ago
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
doesn't matter as long as your gcse grades are good so you're gonna wanna pick the subject you like the most.
nosestrawberry
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
if you know the exam boards your school offers for both, check them out and check the specifications too. i'm considering law in the future too but the great thing is that to do a law degree at uni you can take whatever gcses and a levels you want- i chose history gcse because i thought it would be interesting and it definitely is, but i will say that geography is far more stress free. however, i think taking history has helped my writing skills across all subjects and i'm a faster writer and better at remembering things because of it. for my exam board, edexcel, there's quite a few chapters, but because of corona my year don't have to take exams on one of them, so my opinion may not be the best as you will do a full course, us year 11s aren't.
however, if this virus/lockdown stays for a while, geography is far better for learning remotely/online from what iv'e heard, and i had quite a bad experience doing history online last year because my teacher was inconsistent and the chapter was horribly long. now though i'm doing a new chapter with a different teacher and its much better, so i guess its subjective in that way. i think there are great things about history and geography and they are generally seen the same way, but history requires an interesting teacher, good topics and practice for it to be the amazing subject it is, so so long as you have that, you'll love it. good luck on your choice, i found it really difficult to choose between the two like you, and i decided on history at the last minute!!
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
It doesn't really matter although the most common A level that Law students hold is History so it seems there is some connection.

If you like them equally I would take History.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
It doesn't matter which GCSE you pick. Pick whichever you will enjoy most and think you will do best at
I personally didn't do history but I did geography and loved it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (266)
42.36%
The paper was reasonable (260)
41.4%
Not feeling great about that exam... (57)
9.08%
It was TERRIBLE (45)
7.17%

Watched Threads