The Student Room Group

Further Maths AS/A Level - Computer Science A Level Chemistry A level Maths A level

Hello, I've am definitely taking the a-levels Maths, Computer Science and Chemistry. I am confused for what do for my 4th a level but i can drop it after 1 year. I do have a few questions so please answer as many as you can.
1.) Should I do further maths for 1 year or for 2 year. Would an AS level help if i want to do computer science at uni.
2.) Uni's recommend i do FM to do computer science degree. How much would FM help?
3.) What is the easier subject Physics or FM. Btw i am good at maths so dont make a desicion because physics has a lot of maths.
4.) What degrees/ careers can is with my a level combo?
Reply 1
Original post by D3V_3
Hello, I've am definitely taking the a-levels Maths, Computer Science and Chemistry. I am confused for what do for my 4th a level but i can drop it after 1 year. I do have a few questions so please answer as many as you can.
1.) Should I do further maths for 1 year or for 2 year. Would an AS level help if i want to do computer science at uni.
2.) Uni's recommend i do FM to do computer science degree. How much would FM help?
3.) What is the easier subject Physics or FM. Btw i am good at maths so dont make a desicion because physics has a lot of maths.
4.) What degrees/ careers can is with my a level combo?

If you're set on computer science, further maths would be useful especially if applying to Oxbridge / Imperial. If you want to keep your options open, physics is needed for engineering. Tbh, unis would probably prefer physics or fm over computer science a level mainly because of how mathematical the course is and the fact they teach you coding from scratch but ultimately, chose which subjects you find interesting and think you can get a good mark in.
Original post by Apidafu
If you're set on computer science, further maths would be useful especially if applying to Oxbridge / Imperial. If you want to keep your options open, physics is needed for engineering. Tbh, unis would probably prefer physics or fm over computer science a level mainly because of how mathematical the course is and the fact they teach you coding from scratch but ultimately, chose which subjects you find interesting and think you can get a good mark in.

thanks for the advice, if i get the grades i want to go to imperial.. I do want to do computer science for a levels because i enjoy the subject. I dont really like physics but i enjoy the maths part of it.
Reply 3
Original post by D3V_3
thanks for the advice, if i get the grades i want to go to imperial.. I do want to do computer science for a levels because i enjoy the subject. I dont really like physics but i enjoy the maths part of it.

That's fair enough then. In that case, I'd suggest you do further maths. It's also easier to do further maths as a 4th subject than physics.
Original post by Apidafu
That's fair enough then. In that case, I'd suggest you do further maths. It's also easier to do further maths as a 4th subject than physics.

ok thanks but if do FM for one year and get an AS level would it still help me and how would it help me, like how much better is A-Level FM than AS Level FM.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest