Is a manual license really worth getting over auto?

Watch
Apollo-
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’m 17 and self employed. I’ve had 3 manual lessons so far they’ve gone alright (burnt my instructors clutch on 2nd lesson). My parents drive a bentayga and a r35. When I drive I want to be relaxed and not having to worry about the clutch, changing gears etc. Manual cars are slowly phasing out, and as your probably already know electric is the future. I want to get a c200 mercedes for my first car, the costs of Insurance, repairs, maintenance etc won’t be an issue I’m pretty good on money, I would like to know if you were in my position would what you would and why, thank you in advance
Finleyson
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Listen man. say what you will about manual cars but they are still about. If your going to learn how to drive you might as well learn how to drive all cars and not half bake it. You don't have to drive a manual in the future but knowledge is power and it is a skill you can be proud!
Theloniouss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's useful to be able to drive a manual. For example, you might be hiring a car and only have manuals available that meet your specifications.

Also, once you learn to drive a manual you don't have to worry about changing gears and using the clutch because you know how to do it, that stuff goes away after a few lessons.
virgil1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You are seen as a poorer driver and higher risk by insurance with an auto only license. The cost of insurance can be much higher for an auto license holder on and automatic that a full license holder on the same automatic car.

But if you don’t care about money and always plan on driving autos (remember most vans etc are still manual) then it’s up to you.

Personally I’d be wary of a driver with an auto only license unless there’s a good reason (disability for example). Once you get used to it a manual isn’t hard and if you genuinely struggle I’d wonder if you’ve got the coordination to be safe controlling 2 tones of metal at 70mph!
Last edited by virgil1; 4 weeks ago
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Apollo-)
I’m 17 and self employed. I’ve had 3 manual lessons so far they’ve gone alright (burnt my instructors clutch on 2nd lesson). My parents drive a bentayga and a r35. When I drive I want to be relaxed and not having to worry about the clutch, changing gears etc. Manual cars are slowly phasing out, and as your probably already know electric is the future. I want to get a c200 mercedes for my first car, the costs of Insurance, repairs, maintenance etc won’t be an issue I’m pretty good on money, I would like to know if you were in my position would what you would and why, thank you in advance
Don't cheap out on your licence.
Nick6501
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I did manual just to unlock a full license pretty much and had a manual as my first car and was alright but family was selling a super nice car which was auto so i tried it and now i see no point in manual and never will drive a manual again (except for work) another reason to get manual just in case you need to drive one for work, but personally i prefer auto though.
Last edited by Nick6501; 4 weeks ago
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Theloniouss)
It's useful to be able to drive a manual. For example, you might be hiring a car and only have manuals available that meet your specifications.

Also, once you learn to drive a manual you don't have to worry about changing gears and using the clutch because you know how to do it, that stuff goes away after a few lessons.
I agree.
Plus manual cars are very much still about.
Get a full license. Then you can drive both. And if you then choose to just drive auto that's up to you.
You will get the hang of the gears/clutch anyway.
Red Crew Man
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Apollo-)
I do not like manual cars. I personally think automatic is better. However, it is very important to learn how to drive a manual even though you won't be driving it. Just imagine you have to drive someone else's car and you tell them, oh I can only drive automatic.
boblishman
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
In my honest opinion you shouldn't be allowed to drive a car if you CAN'T drive a manual.

Also, how on earth did you manage to burn out your instructor's clutch???
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (535)
51.1%
No (512)
48.9%

Watched Threads