Please help with this dissertation / literature review

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm currently doing my dissertation in 3rd year and need to provide a literature review on my topic that is about social media. I am having some difficulty I am unsure if I'm doing this right, I am currently reading some literature into one of my chapters and highlighted useful information from the literature, when doing this will I need to explain/develop what the author has written in regards to the topic?
How do I start the writing process, how do I start it?
Do I just dive into talking about how social media (affects this area e.g children) give some examples and explain then draw upon the literature I've just read?
What do I say about the literature? (E.g that social media affects children in various ways for example addiction etc) then give more information about it?

I'm really struggling here, and my uni's online guidance is not helping either is searching online for other ones.

Please I just need a structure to follow to ensure I'm going in the right direction. Advice would help. Thanks
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
I would say a literature review should follow the structure of the dissertation itself. Break it up into sections like that and then you can discuss what the literature has said about the topic within each specific section, that should give you a good starting point. This also helps you to organise which resources you will use per section. Your lit review should discuss the research you are using to back up your position so it does not need to be super in depth but you do need to explain what each author has said about that particular issue. It's less about your argument and more about discussing what the literature says more broadly about the topic. So for example if it is about the impact of social media on children (which I'm sure has many sub-issues), break it up by sub-issue (e.g. 1) linked to addiction, 2) attention disorders, 3) etc...) and discuss what the literature says about that topic.

Hope this helps.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I would say a literature review should follow the structure of the dissertation itself. Break it up into sections like that and then you can discuss what the literature has said about the topic within each specific section, that should give you a good starting point. This also helps you to organise which resources you will use per section. Your lit review should discuss the research you are using to back up your position so it does not need to be super in depth but you do need to explain what each author has said about that particular issue. It's less about your argument and more about discussing what the literature says more broadly about the topic. So for example if it is about the impact of social media on children (which I'm sure has many sub-issues), break it up by sub-issue (e.g. 1) linked to addiction, 2) attention disorders, 3) etc...) and discuss what the literature says about that topic.

Hope this helps.
Thank you. When explaining as you said I should not use my argument/opinion can I draw upon other sources (not the ones used in my literature) like for example an academic site / organisation that has said this and that about social media use and addiction on children?

Thanks it has been helpful .
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
as long as the information is good yes
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (266)
42.63%
The paper was reasonable (257)
41.19%
Not feeling great about that exam... (56)
8.97%
It was TERRIBLE (45)
7.21%

Watched Threads