The Student Room Group

Sheffield Hallam or Nottingham Trent for Biomedical Sciences

Hi everyone. I sent off my UCAS application a few days ago. I am a mature student, at 40 years of age and I am almost finished with doing my Access course. Prior to starting the access course I hadn't considered Sheffield Hallam due to their entry requirements and felt that I wasn't 'smart enough' to achieve those grades needed. However, I have performed better than I thought I would so have applied to Sheffield Hallam as one of my choices on my UCAS application. I am noticing when I am looking at reviews of Sheffield Hallam, a lot of students seem disappointed and are not happy with the university, this is off putting. I have had chance to attend open days at Nottingham Trent and really liked my experiences. Due to Covid I can't go and visit Sheffield Hallam. Is there anyone that could give me advice on what Hallam is like, have they managed to help students through Covid, how supportive is the university etc. I am also disabled and sometimes rely on a wheelchair, and so I'm not sure whether the labs or classrooms can accommodate for this. Thank You.
Hi, I'm currently in my fourth year of Biomedical science (I did a sandwich degree) at Sheffield Hallam. I found that they have generally been quite supportive during lockdown, they provide weekly updates and updates after government announcements and things like that. The Biomedical course leader does drop in sessions every once in a while for students to attend and this gives students an opportunity to ask questions, ask advice and give feedback. The careers team are particularly helpful in providing advice in terms of postgraduate opportunities, CV advice, personal statement and interview tips and I know they work very hard to deliver the best service they can. There's also grants you can apply for that help with the cost of equipment (like laptops) during the lockdown period. I'd say generally Sheffield Hallam are quite supportive and I would recommend going to one of the virtual open days they are hosting for more information from the academics themselves. Hope that helps! Feel free to message me if you would like anymore information :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Bluemuffin225
Hi, I'm currently in my fourth year of Biomedical science (I did a sandwich degree) at Sheffield Hallam. I found that they have generally been quite supportive during lockdown, they provide weekly updates and updates after government announcements and things like that. The Biomedical course leader does drop in sessions every once in a while for students to attend and this gives students an opportunity to ask questions, ask advice and give feedback. The careers team are particularly helpful in providing advice in terms of postgraduate opportunities, CV advice, personal statement and interview tips and I know they work very hard to deliver the best service they can. There's also grants you can apply for that help with the cost of equipment (like laptops) during the lockdown period. I'd say generally Sheffield Hallam are quite supportive and I would recommend going to one of the virtual open days they are hosting for more information from the academics themselves. Hope that helps! Feel free to message me if you would like anymore information :smile:

Thank You for your reply, I'm really sorry that I have only just seen this. I have just been given a conditional offer by Sheffield Hallam. On UCAS Track they have offered the course with a foundation year, but I received an email today that said i was offered the foundation initially but if i do achieve my predicted grades they can offer me a place straight onto the degree. I'm unsure what to do really.
Original post by BECSTAR
Thank You for your reply, I'm really sorry that I have only just seen this. I have just been given a conditional offer by Sheffield Hallam. On UCAS Track they have offered the course with a foundation year, but I received an email today that said i was offered the foundation initially but if i do achieve my predicted grades they can offer me a place straight onto the degree. I'm unsure what to do really.

It’s okay! I’d say that sounds like a good plan, if biomedical science is something you really want to do a foundation year sets you up well for the degree itself. I know someone who did a foundation year and went on to graduate with a first degree.

Quick Reply