The Student Room Group

RAF pilot

I’ve noticed that lots of commercial pilots have been applying for pilot roles in the RAF. Being a pilot in the RAF or RN is something I’ve set my sights on. Do you think that they would be preferred by the forces or a younger applicant? Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Dan_T1
I’ve noticed that lots of commercial pilots have been applying for pilot roles in the RAF. Being a pilot in the RAF or RN is something I’ve set my sights on. Do you think that they would be preferred by the forces or a younger applicant? Thanks

Generally, they prefer younger candidates. At the moment there's a surplus of airline pilots due to the downturn, and they're applying for qualified roles in the ME fleet. Some of them are recently ex-RAF pilots. It's not comparable to normal pilot recruitment.
Original post by Dan_T1

Almost all of the ones who are applying are former RAF pilots, and they're not exactly just walking back in and continuing where they left off. The ones who are worth training back up are being trained and the rest of them are will be happy with whatever desk job they're given as long as it means they can pay their mortgage.
Original post by Dan_T1

You can go onto the RAF website and apply for a pilots role ( https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/roles/roles-finder/aircrew/pilot ) I originally wanted to sign up for it but it was a 12 year commitment which I personally did not want to commit to with always being deploy etc etc so if you can do that and fit the rest of the criteria you should 100% go for it
Reply 4
Original post by Dan_T1

How old are you, Dan?
personally i think you're looking too far into it, if you have got what it takes to be an armed forces pilot they will take you on, there are age limits to when you can apply and that is merely just 1 factor that decides wether you're eligible for the role. It is one of the most demanding jobs in the world, if it came to it and you were up against someone who was exactly the same as you, with regards to aptitude ability, leadership ability and employability, then yes they would probably chose the younger applicant. Just being young is not going to boost your chances at all.
Original post by lfcpearceyy
personally i think you're looking too far into it, if you have got what it takes to be an armed forces pilot they will take you on, there are age limits to when you can apply and that is merely just 1 factor that decides wether you're eligible for the role. It is one of the most demanding jobs in the world, if it came to it and you were up against someone who was exactly the same as you, with regards to aptitude ability, leadership ability and employability, then yes they would probably chose the younger applicant. Just being young is not going to boost your chances at all.

Idk if you looked at the link I sent but if not just continuing from what @Ifcpearceyy was saying these are the requirements on the website
APPLICANTS MUST:
Be aged 17.5 25 years old (Must enter IOT before 26th birthday)
Have GCSEs at Grade C/4 or SNE at Grade 5 or SCE Standard Grades at Grade 2/SNE 5 in English and Maths and at least three other subjects. Have at least 2 A2 Levels/3 Highers at Grade C or above (excluding General Studies, Critical Thinking or Citizenship Studies) which must total a minimum of 64 UCAS points
Be a citizen of the United Kingdom or holder of dual UK/ other nationality
Commit to minimum 12 years service
Meet the health and fitness criteria
Pass a Fitness test - Details below
Candidates must be able to swim

To train as aircrew in the RAF, you must be able to pass the RAF Swimming Test as follows: Swim 100 meters without rest, using any front or sidestroke. Tread water for 2 minutes. Get out of the deep end of the pool unassisted, without the use of steps or the bottom of the pool. All personnel attempting the test must wear clothing commensurate with that worn for their normal operating activity, which for aircrew is a flying suit.

As I'm a shite swimmer thats what put me off
Reply 7
Original post by inquisiterFAQ
As I'm a shite swimmer thats what put me off

Swimming is really easy to practise and prepare for.
Original post by Drewski
Swimming is really easy to practise and prepare for.

Ye ik

Quick Reply

Latest