The Student Room Group

Am I fat

I’m 13 5’4 and 150 lbs and I fat?

Scroll to see replies

you are but just slighty overweight.
don’t think that’s being “fat” for ur age and height
Weight itself doesn't determine how fat you are. It depends on your body fat levels and how much muscle you have.
Original post by SirNoodles
Weight itself doesn't determine how fat you are. It depends on your body fat levels and how much muscle you have.

And bone density - you can be the same height and clothes size as someone else, but be 2 stone heavier; all down to bone density.
At 13 you're too young to worry about this stuff. So long as you eat a balanced diet, drink plenty of fresh water, sleep 8/9hrs and take some exercise (walk the dog for half hour or so, etc), then you will be just fine. BMI is not a one size fits all. Don't ever mess with your diet - it's dangerous. It is good to talk though :smile:.
Reply 5
Original post by Vel_56

Try not to dwell on things like this at the age of 13.

Eating a good diet and taking part in sports and exercise are more important; these two things will keep you healthy and this is what is important.
Assuming you don’t have any visible muscle on you, then based off of your height and weight, it’s pretty easy to assume that you are fat. So yes, you are fat unless you have a good amount of muscle on you.

Statistically speaking, you are in the 98th percentile for children your age and are marked as “very overweight”. But don’t worry man. Just eat a little less. Cut out the snacks. Not all, just a lot that you usually eat. And exercise, do some cardio for now only. Go on jogs. I recommend an app called RunKeeper. I use it as I’m overweight too. It’s easy, before you jog, you simply just press a quick start button and it tracks the distance you travel, even if you jog/run in loops.
Original post by Confuciushesay
And bone density - you can be the same height and clothes size as someone else, but be 2 stone heavier; all down to bone density.
At 13 you're too young to worry about this stuff. So long as you eat a balanced diet, drink plenty of fresh water, sleep 8/9hrs and take some exercise (walk the dog for half hour or so, etc), then you will be just fine. BMI is not a one size fits all. Don't ever mess with your diet - it's dangerous. It is good to talk though :smile:.

Pretty sure bone density can't make a 28lb difference.
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
Pretty sure bone density can't make a 28lb difference.

I speak from experience, friend :smile:...
I speak from experience, friend :smile:...

And how did you measure the weight of each others skeletons and deduce a 28lb difference?
And how did you measure the weight of each others skeletons and deduce a 28lb difference?

Oooh! Nothing as scientific as that :wink:. Just two friends, same height, same shoe size, same clothes size - but - nearly 2 stone difference!?! How about that?!? :smile:
Oooh! Nothing as scientific as that :wink:. Just two friends, same height, same shoe size, same clothes size - but - nearly 2 stone difference!?! How about that?!? :smile:

Yea not scientific so don't come around and start making claims backed by nothing except anecdote. Ur fat distributions were different not one skeleton was 28lns heavier, to even have a 28lb skeleton you would have to be 90kg and the other person would be 0kg.
Yea not scientific so don't come around and start making claims backed by nothing except anecdote. Ur fat distributions were different not one skeleton was 28lns heavier, to even have a 28lb skeleton you would have to be 90kg and the other person would be 0kg.

Woah! Steady friend - not making any claims. Just that bone density can also have an impact on weight, as can size of bones and muscle etc. Poster is only 13, so long as they are eating balanced diet, some exercise, etc they are probably not overweight. Dangerous to mess with your diet unless a qualified Dr is involved. BMI is very misleading if taken on its own - don't you agree?
Let's keep this friendly and help Poster feel better about themselves, right? :smile:
Woah! Steady friend - not making any claims. Just that bone density can also have an impact on weight, as can size of bones and muscle etc. Poster is only 13, so long as they are eating balanced diet, some exercise, etc they are probably not overweight. Dangerous to mess with your diet unless a qualified Dr is involved. BMI is very misleading if taken on its own - don't you agree?
Let's keep this friendly and help Poster feel better about themselves, right? :smile:

You are making the claim, backed by nothing other than arbitrary values and your opinion, that bone density can make a 28lb difference when it can't, it would be hard for you to even find a person with a 28lb skeleton. Eating a balanced diet and doing exercise has nothing to do with being overweight, that is based on your weight. You can be healthy af and overweight, it still comes with risks.

No I disagree, BMI is a fine risk assessment tool, BMI is only misleading in the case of someone with large amounts of muscle mass and even then, it is a risk factor, the heart still has to pump blood to that tissue, I assume that at 13 OP does not have significant amounts of muscle mass. I am not saying OP should feel bad or something. I agree that they shouldn't focus on losing weight and start making extreme diet choices, just make more healthier choices and exercise more. However, I do disagree with spreading false claims just to make OP feel better about themselves.
You have a very unhealthy weight, according to the nhs bmi you are overweight for a girl and very overweight for a boy. Basically yes you are fat if that helps you understand better, you are unhealthy and don't want to risk getting diabetes or some other bad illness.
What's your diet like and how much exercise do you get every week?
Original post by xandra_sky
You have a very unhealthy weight, according to the nhs bmi you are overweight for a girl and very overweight for a boy. Basically yes you are fat if that helps you understand better, you are unhealthy and don't want to risk getting diabetes or some other bad illness.
What's your diet like and how much exercise do you get every week?

We don’t really know if she/he is fat. BMI has little bearing in this context as we don’t really know if their weight is mainly muscle or fat. In other words, we don’t know their body composition, so you can’t come to that conclusion and state they are fat based off of a BMI index that doesn’t apply to this person due to our lack of knowledge in regards to their body composition. Now, it’s fair to say they are LIKELY to be fat as that weight, assuming the OP is a boy, is not likely to be mostly muscle due to their age and the whole puberty thing. But it’s possible that it is mainly muscle as evidenced by...well, let me go with a famous person. Type Mike Tyson age 12. He was about 5,8 and weighed 190 pounds at age 12. Technically, that’s obesity. But you tell me I’f he’s obese just by looking at him.

Case in point. Give advice based on the facts presented and the likely/unlikely scenario. Don’t state things without undeniable evidence.
Original post by IWINTWIN
We don’t really know if she/he is fat. BMI has little bearing in this context as we don’t really know if their weight is mainly muscle or fat. In other words, we don’t know their body composition, so you can’t come to that conclusion and state they are fat based off of a BMI index that doesn’t apply to this person due to our lack of knowledge in regards to their body composition. Now, it’s fair to say they are LIKELY to be fat as that weight, assuming the OP is a boy, is not likely to be mostly muscle due to their age and the whole puberty thing. But it’s possible that it is mainly muscle as evidenced by...well, let me go with a famous person. Type Mike Tyson age 12. He was about 5,8 and weighed 190 pounds at age 12. Technically, that’s obesity. But you tell me I’f he’s obese just by looking at him.

Case in point. Give advice based on the facts presented and the likely/unlikely scenario. Don’t state things without undeniable evidence.

If OP had the muscle of mike tyson which would take a lot of hard work, dedication and knowledge, I don't think they would come on TSR asking if they're fat.
Original post by Vel_56

Don't want to sound mean but ur quite overweight
The healthy weight for a 5'4 female is from 110-140 pounds. You are a bit overweight, but your still a child, so I wouldn't worry about it.
If OP had the muscle of mike tyson which would take a lot of hard work, dedication and knowledge, I don't think they would come on TSR asking if they're fat.

lol, he/she is just a kid. Probably plunked their weight and height into a BMI calculator and it came out as obese and asked this question. Would be nice for OP to tell us if they have a big stomach/visible fat on them, that way we’ll be able to tell right off the bat. And Mike Tyson was 190 pounds of mainly muscle at age 12 before he started working out with Cus D Amato. He never trained or did anything before then. But he was also a chubby kid. But not the sort of fat that you see on actual fat people who’s body composition is mainly fat as opposed to muscle.

All I’m saying is, some people have a body composition where the weight is mainly muscle with a layer of fat that hides the muscle but also doesn’t come out as being flabby or having a protruding stomach/love handles. Would it be fair to call such a person fat?

what’s your thoughts?

Quick Reply

Latest