The Student Room Group

Have any of you been abused as kids?

I was abused as a kid physically, verbally, emotionally, sexually and neglected by various adults around. I am open to listening to stories if anyone wants to share.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bookworm04
I was abused as a kid physically, verbally, emotionally, sexually and neglected by various adults around. I am open to listening to stories if anyone wants to share.

Hey, yeah similarly I was physically, verbally, emotionally abused by my parents and a few other family members. When I was 6 my neighbour's son touched me but I don’t know whether it was harassment or whatever. So I left home in my early teens.

Now my mother has been reaching up to me saying she changed and that the lain she suffered changed her and I think she might have changed. But I still don’t want to have any contact with her even if she changed, my hands start shaking just by texting her.

N
Reply 2
I was... Same as you. We were used as punch bags from every side. I think I've carried this through my life and have never dealt with it. I have so much anger, I have issues trusting my partners, I have low self-esteem. I am kind to people though but not to myself, I help people understand things but I can't do that for myself. I find that having purpose is helping me, I am loosing weight and concentrating in fairness.... At least it releases the negative energy I feel. But I don't think I will ever be ok. I find that I will never be happy or completely happy because I don't deserve it.
Reply 3
I am sorry for what you have been through x.
Reply 4
Yes, and same to you, should you need to talk, feel free to PM me.
yes, although I don't think i'd ever say it here. People are ****ed up and it's sad tht we have to live w the trauma and after effects for the rest of our lives. A big **** u to all abusers.
Original post by Nenav4
I was... Same as you. We were used as punch bags from every side. I think I've carried this through my life and have never dealt with it. I have so much anger, I have issues trusting my partners, I have low self-esteem. I am kind to people though but not to myself, I help people understand things but I can't do that for myself. I find that having purpose is helping me, I am loosing weight and concentrating in fairness.... At least it releases the negative energy I feel. But I don't think I will ever be ok. I find that I will never be happy or completely happy because I don't deserve it.

Oh wow, that sounds really difficult. I can relate to what you said in some aspects. I tried to deal with it for many years and it hasn’t been successful. I also have a lot of anger and rage. I used to have a low self-esteem but as I got older I’ve becomed more self-absorbed and selfish. I also struggle with intimacy but I use sex as a coping mechanism because it makes me feel wanted and that sex is the only way someone will love me.

N
Reply 7
Original post by Bookworm04

no i have not, my parents have hit me but its what i deserve so its chill, some people however claim they were abused when they get slapped on the bum, not saying u have, but in my eyes thats what every parents should do in teaching phase if kids are disobedient,
Physically, not sexually.

One of my ma's ex bf's was physically abusive with me and my mum.

He's in jail now.
My dad beat me up with a vacuum cleaner when I dropped out of uni. Then said if I don't reapply for uni he will kick me out and never speak to me again because he will be ashamed of me. (Also I'm a girl)
hugs for everyone :console:
Original post by Anonymous
he wants the best for you, stop being a disappointment and do uni

I quit because of my mental health and not enjoying the course.
Original post by Anonymous
do online uni degree then, no excuse for not working hard and furthering your academics.

I've now graduated and working. This was many years ago. Also you shouldn't judge ppl when you don't know there past circumstances.
Physically, mentally, emotionally yes.

I’m 16 and I got into some legal trouble and accidentally revealed the physical abuse my parents did to me. The safeguarding team got involved and asked me about it but I was too scared to snitch off my parents so I said they haven’t don’t anything to me recently in the past year even though they have.

When my parents found out they never apologised once about how they made my feel and the impact it has had on me but made me promise to tell them that they haven’t done it recently and guilt tripped me by saying my little brother could get taken away from them.

On top of that all the mental and emotional abuse hasn’t been nice, but I just have to deal with it.

I feel like lots of physical abuse is minimised for invalid reaosns
Yes.
Good grief that’s a lot of kids abused. I am really sorry for everything you have all faced in your childhoods. I can relate to a lot of the stories you have recounted such as being beaten with a vacuum cleaner and being made to feel guilty.

My sister had a similar incident when she was about six or seven and told the school she was abused and then we said it wasn’t true because we were always told never to tell anyone or they’ll take mum and dad to jail and us into care where we’ll get separated. When she got home there was no hug or words of comfort - it was another thrashing. I can remember bamboo sticks, hangers, chargers, vacuum sticks, kitchen utensils, shoes, toys and all sorts being used to discipline us. They’d talk to each other in front of us about how it was necessary for children to fear their parents. We weren’t even badly behaved kids!

The other thing is that with me my dad deliberately left me with his mum as a baby who would lock me in dark rooms and put vicks/vapour rub in my eyes. His sister would also abuse me all the time.

When he left our family home my mum continued with the beatings and the disgusting emotional and verbal abuse. Plus her brother started molesting me when I was 9 or 10 years old.

I completely relate to the feelings of low self esteem and worthlessness. But please do know that you are not worthless. You are all precious and worth a lot more than you realise. I am open to discussion if anyone wants to discuss further. I thought it would be helpful to talk to strangers who may have gone through similar things and just let it all out. We don’t know anyone on here so there is no fear if being judged either.
Apparently so. Not a big deal, shouldn't get wrapped up on it
I was emotionally abused and grew up in a very negative household. I wish I could take away the pain of everyone in the thread and make them feel loved and secure. That’s all I ever wanted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending