The Student Room Group

Campus vs City University

What are the pros and cons of attending a city/campus university
Original post by Anonymous

Campus unis can be very pleasant; like a village atmosphere. Some campus unis are outstanding academically; Warwick, Lancaster, Loughborough. In City uni's you will get the experience of living in a bustling city. It means also that you will mix with students from other unis in the city e.g. Leeds has Leeds Uni, Leeds Beckett, Leeds Trinity, etc. It means that the student experience is much richer.

Hey Anonymous,

I'm a third-year student at Reading University - a small friendly feel campus-based uni. I've really enjoyed it! I've found there to be many many perks of a campus uni. Firstly, it is an award-winning green campus with a stunning lake. It also has a very friendly feel as I tend to always bump into someone I know on campus which has been really nice and has a 'bubble feel'. Another benefit is that it is very self-contained, we have a Co-op, multiple Starbucks, a bagel man (the best bagels ever), multiple cafes and a gym. This means that I really never have to walk far for anything and that all of my lecturers are close to each other! However, I also feel that we do get the perks of being in a city due to how close it is. We have a large shopping centre with a large variety of restaurants and clubs!

I hope this has let you have a bit more info on what it is like living on a campus uni! If you have any other questions feel free to let us know!😊
From,

Amina
Campus uni's are great if you always want to be around other uni students. It feels very much like a bubble and everything is close by when you're living on campus (the walk to the library for me is 7 minutes long) and you're always close to a gym/field. It's also way cheaper since you'll probably be going to uni pubs/bars and likely not using public transport.

However, you do usually miss out on all the coffee shops, restaurants, shops and the choice you get that you would in a city uni.

Having spent most of term 1 and all of term 2 in lockdown, being on campus has been great because you get to see your friends that are on campus and its way less alienating.
Hi @anonymous
Im a student at Lancaster university which is a campus university which you can find out about here: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/about-us/our-campus/
I personally really like the campus because it has everything I need to study and live on. At Lancaster the campus currently has things like a library, food places, shops, bars, laundrettes, sports facility, green spaces etc and for me I’ve found the campus to be like a community ! It’s like our own little bubble and community !
Let me know if you have any questions
Lancaster university student ambassador Holly

Hi @anonymous #1,

When I was deciding what university to study at, I was asking the exact same question as you as I was stuck between a campus or a city university. However, I soon realised that a campus university was exactly what I was after as I loved the idea of that community feel and always bumping into people you know! As @futurelawtrainee mentioned, it really does feel like a bubble!

I chose to study at Loughborough University because I found that I really got a sense of the #LboroFamily and the community feel when I stepped on to campus. Obviously at the moment it is difficult to visit in-person, but our campus tour video may help you to get a sense of life at a campus university!

I found that the campus here at Loughborough also feels safe which was a big factor in my decision - it really has become a home away from home! It was also the best of both worlds for me, as you still have cities such as Nottingham and Leicester nearby if you fancy a bit of that city life too!

I hope this helps!
Ella :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending