Girlbyeee
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
The output of a transformer is alternating current. Many electrical devices require a supply of direct
current.

Explain how a diode could be used to convert a.c. to d.c., and suggest one disadvantage of this.
Amy_E_12
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Girlbyeee)
The output of a transformer is alternating current. Many electrical devices require a supply of direct
current.

Explain how a diode could be used to convert a.c. to d.c., and suggest one disadvantage of this.
I'm not sure if this will help, but my knowledge is that a diode can change a.c to d.c because it only allows current to flow in one direction. a.c is when current is constantly changing directions, so a doide will prevent the a.c from changing directions, leading to a constant current in one direction. This is now a direct current (d.c).
This may not be right btw, I'm still at GCSE level so don't have that deep knowledge about it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.6%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.72%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (135)
25.76%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.4%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (252)
48.09%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.44%

Watched Threads