MaxReader0
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Out of Varley Park and Phoenix Brewery, which is the more preferred Halls.
Starting in September and want to know which is more fun/social one. It’s probably just preference but interested in peoples views and opinions.
jess_jj97
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi, I went to Brighton 2015-2018. I lived on Falmer but I had friends at both of those halls too. Phoenix is much closer to town and Varley is really out of the way. Both had good social scenes in terms of flats but I think that depends on who you’re living with. Varley is more modern but Phoenix is within walking distance to the nightlife. Feel free to ask me anything else about Brighton 😊
MaxReader0
Rep:
?
Ahhh you're swaying me towards Phoenix now, the initial thing putting off was where its quite small compared to other residences im afraid i might be confined socially to an extent. However, as you say you had friends at multiple halls this makes me think otherwise.I appreciate your time to come on here, it helps me out massively. I won't exhaust you but i do have a few questions!How was your management between social life and studies? Did you cope okay financially?Lastly, have you got any small tips for me starting off, ranging anywhere from Freshers to studies, to Brighton life. I left Brighton at 8 to live in London due to some unfortunate circumstances. It was hard starting all over again and always thought about oneday returning, so please excuse me if im coming across a bit too eager or wordy.
jess_jj97
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hey sorry I took so long to reply.

Well I studied Primary Education, so I had a lot of placements. I didn’t go out much during those but outside of that then my friends and I usually went out 2/3 times a week. I found it easy enough to balance but that depends on the person and the course.
I was entitled to the full grant because of my home circumstances. I worked during summers to tide me over because rent is pretty pricey and I wanted a social life and to go on holidays.
Some tips...hmm..
1) don’t buy freshers wristbands for pub crawls (if that even happens this year?) My friends and I never ended up going cos it was all too busy and we went to lesser known places
2) be sure to check out different places in the lanes and in Kemptown/ the marina. The seafront has great clubs and pubs but there’s other places too!
3) Always buy a all day bus ticket if you’re planning to go out the same evening as you’ve been to uni
4) Go to ShuffleBar at some point (trust me)
5) don’t worry if you’re not living near campus, Brighton is very well connected. Rent the bikes! They’re good fun and pretty cheap.
6) There’s sadly a high homelessness population, maybe buy someone a hot drink every once in a while.
7) Churchill Square always do student discount days at the start of terms, so if there’s something a bit expensive you want then wait until then to get the discounts!

Hope this helped
MaxReader0
Rep:
?
Hello!

No no, thankyou for taking your time to reply.
Really helpful too read.
I’ll definitely be coming back to read this again a few times over the year! I hope that you are well and have a great life!

Kind regards,
Max
jess_jj97
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
No problem at all. Give me a message if you’ve got any other questions before you start. Good luck!
carolineiscool
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by MaxReader0)
Ahhh you're swaying me towards Phoenix now, the initial thing putting off was where its quite small compared to other residences im afraid i might be confined socially to an extent. However, as you say you had friends at multiple halls this makes me think otherwise.I appreciate your time to come on here, it helps me out massively. I won't exhaust you but i do have a few questions!How was your management between social life and studies? Did you cope okay financially?Lastly, have you got any small tips for me starting off, ranging anywhere from Freshers to studies, to Brighton life. I left Brighton at 8 to live in London due to some unfortunate circumstances. It was hard starting all over again and always thought about oneday returning, so please excuse me if im coming across a bit too eager or wordy.
Hey!!! I’m going to Brighton starting in September 2021 and I was wondering if you had chose your accommodation yet? I’m at Grande Parade campus so I was considering Phoenix as well since it’s so close. Have you found out any more information that made you choose Phoenix or another place? Thanks )
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
21.72%
Excited but a bit nervous (122)
45.69%
Not bothered either way (35)
13.11%
I'm really nervous (52)
19.48%

Watched Threads