The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

MSc in Advanced Computer Science at Oxford

Hi everyone,

I was wondering how many out there have also applied for the Advanced Computer Science course at Oxford. I thought we could get a landing page for us all.

Thanks,

Oliver

Scroll to see replies

Hello,

Nice to see a thread exists for this! The main thread is becoming rather cluttered.

I have applied for this course too!
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Hello,

Thanks for the invite Oliver. It's refreshing to see other applicants here.

Cheers
Hello everyone!
Thanks for invitation. Great to hear from everyone who has applied!

Anton.
Have any of you applied anywhere else apart from Oxford? And is it your first time applying to Oxford?
Original post by AntonReshetov
Have any of you applied anywhere else apart from Oxford? And is it your first time applying to Oxford?

First time applying for a masters (applied to Oxford for BSc), and I've also applied to the Machine Learning and Machine Intelligence Masters at Cambridge
Hello there! I have applied to a couple of other places but Oxford is (by far) my top choice.
Hi again guys! Hope you are all doing well!

I just wanted to ask you if you are doing anything special to prepare for a potential interview? are you revising any specific modules or topics?

On my part, I am revising algorithms and data structures (there is a high chance this might get asked), some mathematics - calculus, probability, statistics and discrete mathematics (I was asked last year a question on graph theory).

Thanks and Good luck,

Anton.
Hey! I've applied for Advanced Computer Science at Oxford and an MPhil at Cambridge

Hi again guys! Hope you are all doing well!

I just wanted to ask you if you are doing anything special to prepare for a potential interview? are you revising any specific modules or topics?

On my part, I am revising algorithms and data structures (there is a high chance this might get asked), some mathematics - calculus, probability, statistics and discrete mathematics (I was asked last year a question on graph theory).

Thanks and Good luck,

Anton.

I'm going to go over those that you mentioned, especially data structures. I'm guessing you had an interview for Oxford last year aswell?
Guys has anyone heard anything as yet????
Original post by chimpinky
Hey! I've applied for Advanced Computer Science at Oxford and an MPhil at Cambridge

I'm going to go over those that you mentioned, especially data structures. I'm guessing you had an interview for Oxford last year aswell?

Yes, I applied last year and got to an interview stage, however it didn't go well, so I got rejected.
Original post by Malaiykahj
Guys has anyone heard anything as yet????

Nothing so far, I think interviews take place from the last week of February.
Nothing so far, I think interviews take place from the last week of February.

ok
I have just been invited for interview!
Original post by AdvancedCS

Congratulations!!!

When is the interview? How are you planning to prepare?

Just remember - be calm and relax!!

Good luck!!!
Congratulations!!!

When is the interview? How are you planning to prepare?

Just remember - be calm and relax!!

Good luck!!!

Thank you! The interview is this coming Monday. I am planning to go through the topics you listed, as well as the topics I mentioned in my SOP.
Thank you! The interview is this coming Monday. I am planning to go through the topics you listed, as well as the topics I mentioned in my SOP.

Good Luck to you! I wish you all the best! Yes, go over the topics that I have mentioned, there are high chances they will come up. Also don't forget that they are interested not as much in the correct answer, but rather in the way you think, so it might be a good idea to think out loud.

Also from the general question, be ready to talk about why you chose Oxford and why are you interested in this program, usually they ask something along these lines.

Did you get any response from other universities that you have applied to? And do you mind sharing your profile?

Congratulations!!!!!! and by what deadline did you apply??? I sincerely wish you all the best!!!
(edited 3 years ago)
Thank you both so much! Oxford is the first university that has responded to my application. I applied by the Jan 8 deadline. I already shared my profile with you in the main thread, but I will copy-paste it here:

I am still in my undergrad, and currently have a 9.0/10 GPA on the Dutch scale (anything above an 8.0 is a US 4.0 GPA). I am a TA and have also done a large project for my University (paid, not for a course).

I hope you guys receive an invitation soon!
(edited 3 years ago)
Thank you both so much! Oxford is the first university that has responded to my application. I applied by the Jan 8 deadline. I already shared my profile with you in the main thread, but I will copy-paste it here:

I am still in my undergrad, and currently have a 9.0/10 GPA on the Dutch scale (anything above an 8.0 is a US 4.0 GPA). I am a TA and have also done a large project for my University (paid, not for a course).

I hope you guys receive an invitation soon!

Hey! Is it possible for you to share the outline content of the invitation email? I also applied on the same day but haven't heard anything back until now. Is there any guide or anything important to know about the interview?

Thanks,

Quick Reply