The Student Room Group

Guys-Would you ever 'red rose' your girlfriend?

Situation:
My friend and her boyfriend have been going out for the past year now and they just recently became sexually involved. He has a really high sex drive and she likes to think up random things for them to do to keep things 'spicy'. Last week she confided in me that they sometimes did it even while she was menstruating and lately they developed a taste for a practice called 'red-rosing', where she told me that her boyfriend basically goes down on her when she is on. They are both really careful and he doesn't drink it or anything (spits it out or just pleasures around the area)
because she says she is more receptive to pleasure then.
Now although it is not my place to criticize her relationship, but I can't help but think that these acts are a little bit weird and somewhat disgusting. I don't want to seem like a prude but when I first heard of the term I thought it was gross. They both practise safe sex, always using condoms, contraceptives and the like, but it still made me sick just hearing about it. I think it is risking and at first I thought it was an urban myth, but apparently it is well known, especially with couples who include oral intercourse within the usual intercourse.

Am I right to think the practice is disgusting and risky? My friend's boyfriend is a nice guy and I know that both she and he would never take any risks with their sexual health but I am still just grossed out about the whole thing. What should I do?

Guys, do you do the 'red-rose thing' with your girlfriends or does the thought disgust you?

Scroll to see replies

Risky? Why would it be risky?
Gross, yes, it's pretty darned gross. I would never let my husband do that to me, nor, do I expect, would he want to!
But I'm not sure what you mean by 'risky'.
You can't put limits on sexual activity within a relationship and call it disgusting, they're free to do whatever they want; as far as I know it's not anymore "risky" than if she wasn't menstruating, but I could be wrong.
Ohh I thought this thread was 'guys would you ever give a red rose to your girlfriend' as in literally a red rose, nothing rude there :rolleyes:

Ah well.

And yeah pretty gross :erm:
Reply 4
Yes that is revolting.
Reply 5
:puke:

But if it's what they both enjoy then leave them to it. I wouldn't imagine it would be risky as such.
I don't care if he'd want to do it...I wouldn't allow him to! It's only a few days per month...I'm sure he can survive with receiving oral or something and not having to go near my nether regions for a few days!
I'm not sure about oral, but I'd have regular intercourse with my partner during her period. If she would let me.
Reply 8
Sickening.Absolutely disgusting.
Reply 9
...i would never do that. ever ever ever.

also, i would never want to know if ANY of my friends were doing that. just tell her not to tell you the explicit details of her sex life? problem solved.
sheashea123
Sickening.Absolutely disgusting.

Sickening? Bit OTT don't you think?
Reply 11
**** is gross in my opinion, but each to his own.
Reply 12
I'd never let my boyfriend do it to me- I just feel gross during my period and not in the least bit sexy. I doubt he'd enjoy it either.

But why would it be risky? I don't understand what you mean by this.
Reply 13
Most people AREN'T vampires :shifty:.
Reply 14
eeewwwww
dont mind sex when im on, but that is going too far!
Reply 16
nothingspek
Sickening? Bit OTT don't you think?

Well, getting a mouthful of menstrual blood isn't exactly appealing
Reply 17
An important perspective is to realize that what you consider personally "disgusting", other people won't. They clearly want to do it, so there's no problem. It's (although I've only heard it called a "rainbow kiss" before) not something that would appeal to me.
Apagg
Well, getting a mouthful of menstrual blood isn't exactly appealing

Well yeah, but the word sickening implies something much more than a just a sexual preference.
Its completely their choice and I don't think it would be risky, on the other hand you wouldn't catch me doing that in a million years. :s-smilie:

Latest