The Student Room Group

YEAR 11 and GCSES 2021

Hi i need some advice and maybe just a chat!
Im in year11 and i havent done anything to prepare myself for any “gcses” obvs they are cancelled but i still want to be kind of ready for anything! Can anyone give me any advice of what to do to be ready?Also what do u guys think will happen with our exams and grades!
if anyone is in year11 just let me know how u are doing and everything too 🤍🤍
I was in yr 11 last year and our grades were judged off of class work and mocks. Ik some people were really disappointed with their grades across the country but my school is a state one in an average area and everyone got what they were expecting or above. If your worried there could still be a chance you could have to do some kind of exam I’d stick to revising maths English and science
Honestly who knows what's happening at this point?

Ofqual was supposed to release a report the other day I think but I haven't seen anything new in the news so idk.

It sounds like we'll be doing exam questions but not full exams and the grades will ultimately be teacher graded. However these mini test (probably just some exam questions) are supposedly going to be pretty important.

I think revision is probably a good idea but ngl I have hardly done any.

I am not coping in the slightest, thanks for asking. How are you?

Edit: they ended the consultation but have not yet released a report (I guess that explains why I couldn't find one)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by LaytonBriar4468
Honestly who knows what's happening at this point?

Ofqual was supposed to release a report the other day I think but I haven't seen anything new in the news so idk.

It sounds like we'll be doing exam questions but not full exams and the grades will ultimately be teacher graded. However these mini test (probably just some exam questions) are supposedly going to be pretty important.

I think revision is probably a good idea but ngl I have hardly done any.

I am not coping in the slightest, thanks for asking. How are you?

Hi ik its super super annoying with the government trying to decide whats happening and not giving us a clear response! We have so much work set from school and i find it very hard to revise , havent done anything except work set ... overall im okay tho! Im hoping everything will workout for u and all of us in the end xx
Original post by bloograpefroot
I was in yr 11 last year and our grades were judged off of class work and mocks. Ik some people were really disappointed with their grades across the country but my school is a state one in an average area and everyone got what they were expecting or above. If your worried there could still be a chance you could have to do some kind of exam I’d stick to revising maths English and science

aha okayy thankyou!
for my school , the mocks we have ever done were in november ( none in year 10) and my school is being stubborn to not give out mock grades back which is extremely infuriating! if they use mocks they will use those grades which we dont know😬😬
Original post by username2005
aha okayy thankyou!
for my school , the mocks we have ever done were in november ( none in year 10) and my school is being stubborn to not give out mock grades back which is extremely infuriating! if they use mocks they will use those grades which we dont know😬😬

Yeah we had the same we would have found out our mock grades but we finished school a couple of weeks before so never got them or had them sent home. I did get one which was maths I got like a 6+ and they moved it to a 7 when before I had only be getting 5s

I kind of hope they base it off mock grades because I did really well (I am aware how selfish this sounds) but it doesn't look like that's what they'll do because apparently we'll be assessed at our current level rather than predicting what we would have got if covid didn't exist.
I kind of hope they base it off mock grades because I did really well (I am aware how selfish this sounds) but it doesn't look like that's what they'll do because apparently we'll be assessed at our current level rather than predicting what we would have got if covid didn't exist

first of all well done!! -and is it okay if u share what u got im so nosey haha
Yeah we had the same we would have found out our mock grades but we finished school a couple of weeks before so never got them or had them sent home. I did get one which was maths I got like a 6+ and they moved it to a 7 when before I had only be getting 5s

oh yeah im sorry about that im sure the wait must have been very stressful! also well done on the 7! i heard some students were predicted lower tho which is upsetting but glad it worked out okay for u
first of all well done!! -and is it okay if u share what u got im so nosey haha

I got six 9s and two 8s
My subjects are maths, English language, English literature, triple sciences, media and history.
Both 8s were in English
I got six 9s and two 8s
My subjects are maths, English language, English literature, triple sciences, media and history.
Both 8s were in English

oh my god how ! WELL DONE , i would want my mock grades too if i had yours lol !!
teach me how omgggg
oh my god how ! WELL DONE , i would want my mock grades too if i had yours lol !!
teach me how omgggg

I wish I could teach you how.
I think it's a mix of being homeschooled throughout primary (this meant I already knew everything up to year 9 in maths and science) and just that I'm good a writing in a way that sounds smart.

My advice for essay based subjects is to focus more on how to write an answer rather than on the content because someone in my history class got full marks on an answer that contained blatant misinformation
Also, don't cram the night before cram the morning of the test, it works much better
I wish I could teach you how.
I think it's a mix of being homeschooled throughout primary (this meant I already knew everything up to year 9 in maths and science) and just that I'm good a writing in a way that sounds smart.

My advice for essay based subjects is to focus more on how to write an answer rather than on the content because someone in my history class got full marks on an answer that contained blatant

ohh okay thankyou!! good luck in all xx
ohh okay thankyou!! good luck in all xx

Good luck to you too
Hi i need some advice and maybe just a chat!
Im in year11 and i havent done anything to prepare myself for any “gcses” obvs they are cancelled but i still want to be kind of ready for anything! Can anyone give me any advice of what to do to be ready?Also what do u guys think will happen with our exams and grades!
if anyone is in year11 just let me know how u are doing and everything too 🤍🤍

Honestly I don't even know, the uncertainty is worrying though. I'm hoping they will stay with the idea of teacher predicted grades - they reflect our work standard best instead of some tests where we're assessed based on what we can remember under pressure and a time limit.

I haven't done much either but I think a bit of revision/ going through work would be good to do just in case, I kind of have to because when we return I'm doing a second set of mocks (:frown:). Don't worry though, we're all in the same boat as of now, we just have to prove our work standard through evidence and we'll do well!

Quick Reply

Latest