The Student Room Group

Covid response from uni

I kinda need to know. Which universities have done (relatively) the best job at online learning/ lectures and student life during lockdown?
What have you experienced? What have you heard from other students at other unis?
General answers are super helpful but more specifically:
Engineering
Original post by Anonymous
I kinda need to know. Which universities have done (relatively) the best job at online learning/ lectures and student life during lockdown?
What have you experienced? What have you heard from other students at other unis?
Engineering

Hi Anonymous,

I'm at Southampton, in my 4th year, studying physics. I think that the uni has done a really good job with online learning. The recorded lectures are usually to the quality I would expect from the live lectures and I feel like the lecturers know we're struggling online and so they seem to be supporting us even more than before. For my modules there are weekly live sessions to just ask questions, microsoft teams groups have been set up and the lecturers respond really quickly to post, and lecturers are quick to respond to emails. We also get a lot of emails from the uni with covid updates. Sometimes they don't say anything new but I feel like the uni just haven't forgotten about us students. That's been my experience anyway.

Megan
4th year physics student
Original post by Anonymous
Engineering

Hi Anon.,

I'm a masters student at University of Hull and feel the university have done a great job with the transition into online learning. My course is all online at the moment, with all lectures and seminars taking place on Zoom/Teams which are then recorded for us to go back and watch or watch if you couldn't make the lecture in the first place. I've found all of the staff at the university to be very helpful whether that's answering our questions very quickly or uploading extra learning materials! We also get weekly or twice-weekly emails from the university letting us know of any new guidelines, where we can find support if we need it and just general information. I think the university has responded very well so far, at the beginning of the year during freshers week we had many events including social distanced outdoor cinema which was really cool! We also have a mass-testing site here, which was really helpful when travelling home for Christmas!

Learning online has not been easy for everyone, but I think our university has done a really great job in supporting us in everyway they can. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask :smile:

Megan
University of Hull Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending