The Student Room Group

Should I become a nurse?

Hi i am 16 in Year 12 and seriously considering nursing as a career i think academically i can get in but I’m really not sure if it’s what i want. Done lots of research into it and whilst many benefits I worry about lack of sleep, poor pay for job and so little holidays (i love to travel) and the effect of this physically and mentally. Just wondering if anyone here has any advice
Thanks
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
I am a nurse and your worries make little sense to me.
1. I work full time yet only have to be there 3 days a week. I also get 6 weeks' annual leave a year, which is average to and sometimes better than what other people get, leaving plenty of time to travel pre pandemic. If that's not enough for you, there's even the flexibility of these apparently awful 0 hours contracts otherwise known as nurse bank and agency (getting the shifts is never a problem because there's so many vacancies).
2. What poor pay? My husband and I are both nurses and can comfortably afford our mortgage, a car, food on the table, and the pre pandemic social life and holidays. Even individually we'd be pretty ok off. Oh and we need that to pay for the travelling :smile:
3. You only have poor sleep as a nurse if you let yourself have poor sleep. Yes nights are scientifically proven to be bad for health, yes you don't have a "perfect", normal sleeping pattern... I absolutely have to get my sleep and make sure to get it round my 3 days/nights a week.
Reply 2
Original post by Emily_B
I am a nurse and your worries make little sense to me.
1. I work full time yet only have to be there 3 days a week. I also get 6 weeks' annual leave a year, which is average to and sometimes better than what other people get, leaving plenty of time to travel pre pandemic. If that's not enough for you, there's even the flexibility of these apparently awful 0 hours contracts otherwise known as nurse bank and agency (getting the shifts is never a problem because there's so many vacancies).
2. What poor pay? My husband and I are both nurses and can comfortably afford our mortgage, a car, food on the table, and the pre pandemic social life and holidays. Even individually we'd be pretty ok off. Oh and we need that to pay for the travelling :smile:
3. You only have poor sleep as a nurse if you let yourself have poor sleep. Yes nights are scientifically proven to be bad for health, yes you don't have a "perfect", normal sleeping pattern... I absolutely have to get my sleep and make sure to get it round my 3 days/nights a week.

Ok thanks this is helpful! What’s your specialty?
Reply 3
Original post by Bonny1
Ok thanks this is helpful! What’s your specialty?

I'm an adult nurse so technically anything 18+ physical health :tongue: but I work on a vascular surgery ward and have done since I qualified. Where I work, all the wards, ICU and A&E so the same sort of shifts as us. The pay and holidays thing are pretty much the same wherever you go in the NHS.
Reply 4
Original post by Emily_B
I'm an adult nurse so technically anything 18+ physical health :tongue: but I work on a vascular surgery ward and have done since I qualified. Where I work, all the wards, ICU and A&E so the same sort of shifts as us. The pay and holidays thing are pretty much the same wherever you go in the NHS.

Ah ok thanks! Do you enjoy it? (sorry for many questions)😂
Reply 5
Original post by Bonny1
Ah ok thanks! Do you enjoy it? (sorry for many questions)😂

Oh it's ok, ask as many questions as you like :smile:
Mostly, yes I do enjoy it. I've ended up in an area that interests me and a ward with a good team - and that makes a massive difference.
I suppose the beauty of placements is that you get a bit of an insight into all sorts of areas - I certainly wouldn't have chosen to go to some of the places I was sent, but then I've at least tried it, really enjoyed some places, didn't get the opportunity to try some places others got sent to, and got to compare notes on placements that I'd been to that others had as well... and qualified landing on my feet somewhere I like.
Reply 6
Original post by Emily_B
Oh it's ok, ask as many questions as you like :smile:
Mostly, yes I do enjoy it. I've ended up in an area that interests me and a ward with a good team - and that makes a massive difference.
I suppose the beauty of placements is that you get a bit of an insight into all sorts of areas - I certainly wouldn't have chosen to go to some of the places I was sent, but then I've at least tried it, really enjoyed some places, didn't get the opportunity to try some places others got sent to, and got to compare notes on placements that I'd been to that others had as well... and qualified landing on my feet somewhere I like.

Ah thank you so much this is all really helpful! And my last question 😂 is in terms of the more theory side of the course how academic is it? (Ik that’s a broad question but some other posts i have read have said they feel not much of a social life because either tired or revising) just wondering what your thoughts are on this?
Reply 7
Original post by Bonny1
Ah thank you so much this is all really helpful! And my last question 😂 is in terms of the more theory side of the course how academic is it? (Ik that’s a broad question but some other posts i have read have said they feel not much of a social life because either tired or revising) just wondering what your thoughts are on this?

It's as academic as any other degree - ie your assignments still have to be written to level 6/3rd year standard by that time. It's a higher level of study than GCSEs and A levels/equivalent and a different way of working but then that goes for every degree.
I did a degree in German & History before I did my nursing degree. I spent the whole of that degree with my head stuck in a book and worked my backside off to get a 2:1. My nursing degree? It's 50-50 between practice and theory, so although I still had to work hard to get a 2:1 in that I spent less time with my head stuck in a book because I was running around on placement (don't get me wrong, I still had to do loads of reading).
Yes, my social life was hindered a little by my nursing degree - but that was because of shift work on placement getting in the way of things like me playing in a brass band. The brass banding is something I've done since aged 12, I did shift work as a HCA before starting my nursing degree and through the lot still was involved and have been since - just occasionally missing stuff due to work/placement shifts. It's doable, just need to be organised. The only thing that's put a complete stop to that, and the rest of my social life, seeing family etc, has been the pandemic.
Reply 8
Original post by Emily_B
It's as academic as any other degree - ie your assignments still have to be written to level 6/3rd year standard by that time. It's a higher level of study than GCSEs and A levels/equivalent and a different way of working but then that goes for every degree.
I did a degree in German & History before I did my nursing degree. I spent the whole of that degree with my head stuck in a book and worked my backside off to get a 2:1. My nursing degree? It's 50-50 between practice and theory, so although I still had to work hard to get a 2:1 in that I spent less time with my head stuck in a book because I was running around on placement (don't get me wrong, I still had to do loads of reading).
Yes, my social life was hindered a little by my nursing degree - but that was because of shift work on placement getting in the way of things like me playing in a brass band. The brass banding is something I've done since aged 12, I did shift work as a HCA before starting my nursing degree and through the lot still was involved and have been since - just occasionally missing stuff due to work/placement shifts. It's doable, just need to be organised. The only thing that's put a complete stop to that, and the rest of my social life, seeing family etc, has been the pandemic.

Ah wow thank you this has been incredibly helpful I’m so grateful for all this information it’s such a benefit to hear it all from someone who has actually experienced it all first hand! Again thank you for your time definitely given me a lot to think about!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending