Energy saving light bulbs cause anxiety/depression?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I've been suffering from SAD/anxiety/depression for a couple of years and I'm starting to deteriorate again.

I've got energy saving light bulbs all over the house. The other evening I turns the main light of and put a lamp on and couldn't get over how relaxed I suddenly felt. I put this down to reduced light and thought no more about it.

Without thinking about it I put a lamp in the bedroom this evening, switched it on and turned the main light out and felt instantly relaxed.

Thinking back on it this SAD has been happening since I started using energy saving light bulbs 4 or 5 years ago.

Has anyone noticed this?
Polymorphing
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't know seems odd though...
Perfect_Gent
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I did hear something about flourescent light bulbs doing this? Something do do with the inpercetable flicker.
cpj1987
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Perfect_Gent)
I did hear something about flourescent light bulbs doing this?
This might be true. I have fluorescent lights in my bedroom, and they make me feel stressed and tired and make my vision blurry.
Veni_vidi
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
That is weird
Perfect_Gent
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It might also explain the apparent increase in depression/anxiety/SAD in the general population.
OhSoRetro
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Come to think of it, it may make sense.. we may be on to something here! Scientific breakthroughs of TSR!
gamer91
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
only if you hate humanity/the environment

otherwise you should feel happy that your saving the planet and all of mankind. think how pleasant life will be without us all burning to death.
Roobagnall
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Have you just considerd that it would be the light being off making you feel relaxed. Not the bulb?
DeepStar
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Veni_vidi)
That is weird
:ditto:
HCD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Old fashioned strip-lights flicker and may be unhealthy. Modern savers aren't, and it's a complete and utter coincidence.
DisgruntledMoth
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
No. Until there is evidence for it, just no.
Jonathan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
There is definitely a reason to believe this.

Photographers understand the phenomenon of white balance. The idea is, all 'white' light sources are a slightly different colour - they can be described by two variables: the 'colour temperature' in Kelvin, and a tint colour.

For instance, tungsten/incandescent bulbs are a 'warm' colour temperature, with an orange tint that depends on the wattage, and fluorescent lights (strip-lights and energy saver bulbs) are 'cooler', with a green tint. Camera flash is somewhere in the middle, with no tint. The colour temperature of sunlight or daylight also varies with where in the sky it is. You won't notice it unless you take comparative photos under each kind of light, because our eyes adjust to it and we don't notice.

But it may well have a psychological effect.

Light boxes that treat SAD are designed to emit light of a particular colour temperature. I have a feeling that they emulate the right kind of daylight, and that tungsten bulbs are much, much closer to this 'right colour' than fluorescent light is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature
(Original post by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_therapy#Seasonal_affective_disorder)
The most effective wavelengths of blue light are given as ranging between 460 nm and 485 nm by most sources, with some sources specifying peak photopigment sensitivity at 479 nm (in mice).
Perfect_Gent
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Roobagnall)
Have you just considerd that it would be the light being off making you feel relaxed. Not the bulb?
My bedroom actually seems lighter with the lamp on, it's not the brightness it's something about the type of light.
ANDROBETA
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This is definitely true! I feel the exact same thing! I actually found this by searching "energy saving light bulb depression". It is quite remarcable that there is no official connection, at least none that I could find yet. Some of those energy saving bulbs produce a very depressing and morbidly cold white light, as opposed to the warm light produced by incandescent bulbs, that is similar to natural sun light.
sleepygirl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have anxiety and depression and feel relaxed when I switch off my main light (also an energy-saver light bulb) and switch on my lava lamp or other low light. I do find my energy saver bulbs to be brighter than my old ones, but I'm not convinced they can cause SAD. I'm thinking of installing a dimmer switch instead of a regular flick-switch. maybe you should consider that?
It may also be a colour thing; my lava lamp is reddish light and I also like yellow -orange lights, so maybe see if you can get coloured bulbs, or maybe even paint them (with non-toxic, non-flammable paint!) so your lighting helps make you relaxed.
Also think of music you play - I like classical and metal - the latter always helps if I'm anxious or upset.
KT Peace
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I totally agree with this! Now the night's are drawing in, I go into a room' flick the light switch and think
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (44)
27.67%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
8.81%
No I am happy with my choice (89)
55.97%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (12)
7.55%

Watched Threads