The Student Room Group

Rat owners read please

Hi this is the second night I've been woken up by one of my rats (maisie) screaming. The first night I just thought they were fighting but tonight I managed to turn the light on and my other rat minnie was no where near her. Minnie looked just as confused as me maisie was half way up the bars of the cage and then jumped down and back up again and then ran away can someone please tell me what happened.
Reply 1
Rats are noisy critters. It is common for them to squeal when they want attention, are scared, happy, etc.
Does she climb the bars of her cage often? That can be a sign they're bored or lacking things to climb. Do you have enough climbing toys and space in the cage? Or perhaps the one who squealed was just playing. It could be many things.

If you're concerned or it sounded like a distressed scream, it would not be a poor idea to take her to the vet.
Reply 2
Yeah the cage is big with lots of stuff to climb they mostly climb the bars to get into their hammocks but I will probably take her to the vet thanks

Original post by LovelyMrFox
Rats are noisy critters. It is common for them to squeal when they want attention, are scared, happy, etc.
Does she climb the bars of her cage often? That can be a sign they're bored or lacking things to climb. Do you have enough climbing toys and space in the cage? Or perhaps the one who squealed was just playing. It could be many things.

If you're concerned or it sounded like a distressed scream, it would not be a poor idea to take her to the vet.

Quick Reply

Latest