yasmine...
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
i’m not sure if this is the right place to post this so i hope it’s okay.
i’ve been reading about placement years and study abroad as i am planning on taking psychology when i go to uni in a couple of years. i was just wondering if it was possible to do a course with a placement year, do the placement in england, but then also do a study abroad year during the second year? or would i have to do the placement year abroad if i want to go abroad during uni?
University of Surrey Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by yasmine...)
i’ve been reading about placement years and study abroad as i am planning on taking psychology when i go to uni in a couple of years. i was just wondering if it was possible to do a course with a placement year, do the placement in england, but then also do a study abroad year during the second year? or would i have to do the placement year abroad if i want to go abroad during uni?
Hi Yasmine,

To introduce myself – I’m Joao, an Economics student from the University of Surrey on placement at Defra (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs).

As you know a placement provides students with a unique opportunity to gain skills specific to their subject or industry of choice as well as the employability skills required for real-life work so I would suggest applying for a sandwich degree. If you do not manage to secure one you simply go straight to the 3rd year.

Regarding your question about the possibility of doing study abroad on your second year and a placement as well, it is possible but I suggest only to focus on one of them or just do your placement year abroad.

However, if you are considering applying to Surrey there are certain tips that will increase your chances of getting the placement you are looking for. If you need any help just contact your department’s Professional Training Tutor or contact the dedicated placements team at [email protected].

Our Employability and Careers team will encourage you to be proactive and apply for your industry placement yourself, by writing a CV and cover letter. More importantly, your school or department will appoint a senior tutor for Professional Training who will work with you from the application process through to the completion of your placement. This is an academic member of staff with responsibility for delivering the Professional Training scheme and supporting you at all stages of the journey.

The university also provides a Professional Training coaching scheme, where you can be paired with a student who has recently returned from their placement. That way you will have friendly support from someone who went through the same placement-seeking process and who will prepare you for the world of work.

Also, as some placements abroad may involve learning and communicate in a language other than English, the university has support available to help you develop your language skills.

I think this may help you.
All you need to know about studying economics at Surrey:
https://blogs.surrey.ac.uk/student-e...ics-in-surrey/

Joao
Economics
yasmine...
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep)
Hi Yasmine,

To introduce myself – I’m Joao, an Economics student from the University of Surrey on placement at Defra (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs).

As you know a placement provides students with a unique opportunity to gain skills specific to their subject or industry of choice as well as the employability skills required for real-life work so I would suggest applying for a sandwich degree. If you do not manage to secure one you simply go straight to the 3rd year.

Regarding your question about the possibility of doing study abroad on your second year and a placement as well, it is possible but I suggest only to focus on one of them or just do your placement year abroad.

However, if you are considering applying to Surrey there are certain tips that will increase your chances of getting the placement you are looking for. If you need any help just contact your department’s Professional Training Tutor or contact the dedicated placements team at [email protected].

Our Employability and Careers team will encourage you to be proactive and apply for your industry placement yourself, by writing a CV and cover letter. More importantly, your school or department will appoint a senior tutor for Professional Training who will work with you from the application process through to the completion of your placement. This is an academic member of staff with responsibility for delivering the Professional Training scheme and supporting you at all stages of the journey.

The university also provides a Professional Training coaching scheme, where you can be paired with a student who has recently returned from their placement. That way you will have friendly support from someone who went through the same placement-seeking process and who will prepare you for the world of work.

Also, as some placements abroad may involve learning and communicate in a language other than English, the university has support available to help you develop your language skills.

I think this may help you.
All you need to know about studying economics at Surrey:
https://blogs.surrey.ac.uk/student-e...ics-in-surrey/

Joao
Economic
this was very helpful, thank you so much!
University of Surrey Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by yasmine...)
Hi Yasmine,

It's great to hear you are planning on taking Psychology at University. I am currently in my second year of studying Psychology and also applying for placements in the UK to start in the Summer.

Do you know what area of Psychology you would like your placement to be in? This may help give you an idea whether it's best to study in the UK or abroad. For example, I want to go into Human Resources and believed that working in the UK was best for me. However if you want to do research or work with children in areas that struggle or in general just want to go abroad to study then doing your placement abroad may be the better option. I think most universities require you to do your placement in one area, however if you find a placement where you can work in the UK and abroad then that may suit you better however finding a placement like that may be limited. Please try not to worry about it now, it will take time to make a decision and source your placement however your university will be there to help!

As you mentioned Psychology, I thought I could provide you with some links to look into about potentially studying Psychology here at Surrey.

Although this is information for 2021 entry the information can still give you an insight into what Psychology would be like in the year you enter: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/psychology. There is also 4 different courses you can do which is all listed under the key information area.

If you also look at these two links you will be able to delve deeper into the psychology department and look at the facilities and equipment that would be available to you:
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/school-psychology
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/school-psyc...-and-equipment

Furthermore if you are unsure about studying Psychology then see this link for 5 reasons why you should https://www.surrey.ac.uk/news/five-r...chology-surrey

I hope this helps and give you some more information and options when it comes to considering Psychology and placements! Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Becca
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (191)
43.71%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.21%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
8.01%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
20.82%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.53%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.72%

Watched Threads