Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi detained in coup.

Watch
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
https://news.sky.com/story/myanmar-c...gures-12205019

Myanmar’s military has detained the country’s civilian leadership in a coup in the early hours this morning claiming there were huge discrepancies in November’s election results.

A one year state of emergency has been declared and power handed to Min Aung Hlaing

The coup has been condemned by western powers.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If nothing else, at least this simply makes it clear who really calls the shots. After all, she was never more than a relative figurehead with token powers. The military still controlling anything of importance.
Then again, given the supposed government, or military for that matter, doesnt even control most of the country (the various drug armies and separatists having their own enclaves) its of even less impact.

I find it interesting the west has 'condemned' this though. Not only because it seems to be a boiler plate response trotted out for events they couldnt give a stuff about but because they were previously clamoring for her to be sent to the Hague for war crimes.

If nothing else though, a continued travesty for the good folk of Burma who deserve much better than either the lame duck that was just put out of its misery or the kleptocratic military. Hopefully one day they'll manage to get something better but until they start to get control of the country itself (preferably without the Chinese who have been decidedly unhelpful) i see little hope for the country to ever have any real degree of freedom.
imlikeahermit
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Now this is what I call a coup. A few nutters descending on Capitol Hill is not.
Ascend
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by imlikeahermit)
Now this is what I call a coup. A few nutters descending on Capitol Hill is not.
A successful coup.

Burmese imlikeahermit: 'But there was no bloodshed! Now this is what I call coup.'

imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ascend)
A successful coup.

Burmese imlikeahermit: 'But there was no bloodshed! Now this is what I call coup.'

Love it
The RAR
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The very same people she defended in court for genocide ended up backstabbing her? Good riddance and her Nobel prize should be taken away and sold so that the money earned can be used to make repairs
The RAR
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by imlikeahermit)
Not a few, quite a lot actually
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (58)
13.68%
Virtual campus tours/open days (98)
23.11%
Live streaming events (38)
8.96%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (40)
9.43%
A uni comparison tool (96)
22.64%
An in-person event when available (94)
22.17%