The Student Room Group

Should I take media for GCSEs

Some things to note while reading is that, in my future I plan on doing something in the arts eg acting and/or singing. It’s something that I’ve had my heart set on since I was like 3, and could not see myself doing anything else, but at the slight chance I do, I HIGHLY doubt that it will be a traditionally academic job so something like fashion or interior design but as I said this is a very slight chance I’d go into this line of career.I plan on going to an performing arts uni (college) in America for further education.I also plan on going on a study-abroad program called semester at sea.So I thought I was going to be allowed a bit more freedom when choosing subjects, but turns out I have to choose between 3 “pathways”; purple, (it’s also called EBacc (definition: The English Baccalaureate (EBacc) is an accountability measure in England. It measures the proportion of children who secure a grade 5 or above in English, Maths, Science, a humanity and language GCSE. Arts subjects are not included.) apparently it’s the recommendation from the government etc, but if I choose the purple pathway I can only pick one other subject (that’s not between selected options e.g geography or history), blue, you pick between geography, history, Spanish or french (instead of (Spanish or french), (geography or history), like the purple pathway). With this pathway u get 2 other options but when ur picking the other options, for some reason u can’t pick a language (out of the options they give you on the form) and then there’s the orange pathway which is kind of irrelevant in my situation as for this one you take up one of your subjects with the princes trust program (which I’m assuming it’s like Duke of Edinburgh as they haven’t told us anything about it). I initially was going to pick for my non compulsory subjects, Drama,media,Spanish,history and citizenship (Something else to note is that I’m taking an extra GCSE out of school which is photography). My predicament is that I don’t know whether I should pick media over Spanish or history for example do I get rid of media and do Spanish and history, or do I pick media a dump either Spanish or history. I know it is good to do a language for GCSE to get into some unis but I’m not sure if that applies to a performing arts uni. Few last things are 1. I do enjoy history but I feel like I would enjoy media more 2.I like Spanish and am fairly good at it but I feel as though it could be a lot of added pressure for me 3.the study-abroad program doesn’t need any specific subject just generally good grades.
Pick whichever subjects you enjoy most because its just GCSE's, colleges and sixth forms are only concerned about your grades really. Unless you're planning to take any Alevels or courses which are also offered to you as a GCSE obviously they will be helpful to choose, but still I never took history gcse and I'm now studying it at a level.
Reply 2
Original post by fairylight27
Pick whichever subjects you enjoy most because its just GCSE's, colleges and sixth forms are only concerned about your grades really. Unless you're planning to take any Alevels or courses which are also offered to you as a GCSE obviously they will be helpful to choose, but still I never took history gcse and I'm now studying it at a level.

Did u take Geography instead of history?, also do you think it’s important for me to do a language
Original post by Neloo
Did u take Geography instead of history?, also do you think it’s important for me to do a language

I took geography, and I'd say only take a language if you're genuinely interested or you're good at it. Because I had friends who took it because they weren't sure what else to take and they found it to be a lot of work, but on the other hand a friend of mine took german and she loved it. Taking a language doesn't put you at any sort of advantage, unless you're going to do well at it of course, what I mean is at GCSE a grade 7 in media is the same as a grade 7 in french- Colleges aren't too bothered (unless you were to study a language)
Reply 4
I took geography, and I'd say only take a language if you're genuinely interested or you're good at it. Because I had friends who took it because they weren't sure what else to take and they found it to be a lot of work, but on the other hand a friend of mine took german and she loved it. Taking a language doesn't put you at any sort of advantage, unless you're going to do well at it of course, what I mean is at GCSE a grade 7 in media is the same as a grade 7 in french- Colleges aren't too bothered (unless you were to study a language)

Do you think I have to take history or geography or can I not take either
At my school we have to choose between the two, or you could do both. But I don't think you could do neither unless you took a language.
Reply 6
At my school we have to choose between the two, or you could do both. But I don't think you could do neither unless you took a language.

Oh ok
Original post by Neloo
Some things to note while reading is that, in my future I plan on doing something in the arts eg acting and/or singing. It’s something that I’ve had my heart set on since I was like 3, and could not see myself doing anything else, but at the slight chance I do, I HIGHLY doubt that it will be a traditionally academic job so something like fashion or interior design but as I said this is a very slight chance I’d go into this line of career.I plan on going to an performing arts uni (college) in America for further education.I also plan on going on a study-abroad program called semester at sea.So I thought I was going to be allowed a bit more freedom when choosing subjects, but turns out I have to choose between 3 “pathways”; purple, (it’s also called EBacc (definition: The English Baccalaureate (EBacc) is an accountability measure in England. It measures the proportion of children who secure a grade 5 or above in English, Maths, Science, a humanity and language GCSE. Arts subjects are not included.) apparently it’s the recommendation from the government etc, but if I choose the purple pathway I can only pick one other subject (that’s not between selected options e.g geography or history), blue, you pick between geography, history, Spanish or french (instead of (Spanish or french), (geography or history), like the purple pathway). With this pathway u get 2 other options but when ur picking the other options, for some reason u can’t pick a language (out of the options they give you on the form) and then there’s the orange pathway which is kind of irrelevant in my situation as for this one you take up one of your subjects with the princes trust program (which I’m assuming it’s like Duke of Edinburgh as they haven’t told us anything about it). I initially was going to pick for my non compulsory subjects, Drama,media,Spanish,history and citizenship (Something else to note is that I’m taking an extra GCSE out of school which is photography). My predicament is that I don’t know whether I should pick media over Spanish or history for example do I get rid of media and do Spanish and history, or do I pick media a dump either Spanish or history. I know it is good to do a language for GCSE to get into some unis but I’m not sure if that applies to a performing arts uni. Few last things are 1. I do enjoy history but I feel like I would enjoy media more 2.I like Spanish and am fairly good at it but I feel as though it could be a lot of added pressure for me 3.the study-abroad program doesn’t need any specific subject just generally good grades.

i do media studies and it is fairly easy to get good grades. Just be prepared to do a lot of photoshop and magazine work
Reply 8
Original post by BantaPawz_1
i do media studies and it is fairly easy to get good grades. Just be prepared to do a lot of photoshop and magazine work

But do I pick it over history (or Spanish)

Quick Reply

Latest