Should I Scrap My Car?

Watch
rachel_16
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi everyone.

So I have just recently bought a new car (Toyota) at the end of December as my previous car has many issues and has failed its MOT. My old car is currently sitting in the driveway and I am not sure if its worth selling it or scraping it because it needs a lot of work and has done a lot of miles. The car is a vauxhall corsa 2009 and has done 100,335 miles.
It failed its MOT because:
subframe is excessively corroded
all suspension arms need replaced
coil spring fractured
indictors are showing different colour
registration plate lamp inoperative
position lamp needs replaced

With all of this, It would be quite difficult to sell the vehicle as the car is priced around £700 which it is costing roughly £600 to repair everything which many people would not fancy investing in. I am getting £100 at the scrappy for it which is better than nothing. However I would just like it away as its been sitting in the driveway for over a month now.

What would you all advise? Thanks.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by rachel_16)
Hi everyone.

So I have just recently bought a new car (Toyota) at the end of December as my previous car has many issues and has failed its MOT. My old car is currently sitting in the driveway and I am not sure if its worth selling it or scraping it because it needs a lot of work and has done a lot of miles. The car is a vauxhall corsa 2009 and has done 100,335 miles.
coil spring fractured

With all of this, It would be quite difficult to sell the vehicle as the car is priced around £700 which it is costing roughly £600 to repair everything which many people would not fancy investing in. I am getting £100 at the scrappy for it which is better than nothing. However I would just like it away as its been sitting in the driveway for over a month now.

I'd scrap personally.

I had the exact same car and the exact same problems. The only people who would want to buy that off you would offer pennies, you'd likely struggle to even get £500 after fixing imo with that corrosion history on MOT and the way the world is right now.

I can make a solid guess that soon after your garage starts work they'll call you again and say the price has went up/the job has become unviable as when trying to remove the subframe or suspension arms they'll either find more damage or need to cause it themselves to get things free. MOT testers can miss a lot of things outside their relatively narrow and restricted view.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
scrap that mofo.

:hand: :auto:
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi everyone.

coil spring fractured

I'd say strip it for parts and make a hell of a lot more than £100 the scrappy will give you, but if you're looking to get rid quick then yes just scrap it.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There was always talk btw that Vauxhall would replace the Corsa D subframe free of charge since it was such a badly made part, but I don't know how true or what the conditions are (dealer history, service package ect), might be worth an email to ask?

As Tom said you would make more breaking it for parts...but personally sod that, lots of fiddly dirty work, ebay listings ect to make, idiots to deal with. It's not like it's a car worth saving imo.

Something my mum taught me with cars is that much like parties, there is always an ideal time to walk away, and it's a solid skill knowing it.

Personally I LOVE my cheap gumtree cash cars and i get a lot of joy working on mine, but as soon as I see 'excessively corroded subframe' I walk away. I don't need that kind of trouble in my life.
Last edited by StriderHort; 4 weeks ago
rachel_16
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
There was always talk btw that Vauxhall would replace the Corsa D subframe free of charge since it was such a badly made part, but I don't know how true or what the conditions are (dealer history, service package ect), might be worth an email to ask?

As Tom said you would make more breaking it for parts...but personally sod that, lots of fiddly dirty work, ebay listings ect to make, idiots to deal with. It's not like it's a car worth saving imo.

Something my mum taught me with cars is that much like parties, there is always an ideal time to walk away, and it's a solid skill knowing it.

Personally I LOVE my cheap gumtree cash cars and i get a lot of joy working on mine, but as soon as I see 'excessively corroded subframe' I walk away. I don't need that kind of trouble in my life.
When it comes to cars, selling parts etc, I wouldn't say I am the most experienced when it comes to cars so I seriously wouldn't know where to start when it comes to selling specific parts and so on.

When I took my car to the garage, I was able to see underneath the car and it is in quite a bad state. Its costing me roughly £150-200 to buy the subframe part on eBay so the mechanic can fix it as they don't order subframes in. It is a lot of hassle and it has for sure done its time so I think the best option here is potentially scraping it to get rid of it for good.

Thank you for your input!
rachel_16
Rep:
?
I'd scrap personally.

I had the exact same car and the exact same problems. The only people who would want to buy that off you would offer pennies, you'd likely struggle to even get £500 after fixing imo with that corrosion history on MOT and the way the world is right now.

I can make a solid guess that soon after your garage starts work they'll call you again and say the price has went up/the job has become unviable as when trying to remove the subframe or suspension arms they'll either find more damage or need to cause it themselves to get things free. MOT testers can miss a lot of things outside their relatively narrow and restricted view.
With the state the car is in, I would be lucky if I even got £200 for it to be honest.

This was my very first car and its just had problem after problem which is not ideal. I did get it from Gumtree from a dodgy buyer now come to think of it. What I payed for it was definitely not worth it with the amount of damages it has...

Like you said, there is a high possibility with the mechanics finding additional issues with the car as this has always happened in the past. I would go in to get one part fixed then it turned out that anther part linked to the problem was found so I would have to get the new issue fixed before the main problem could be repaired.

With my experience of driving a vauxhall corsa 2009, I can conclude that they are not the most reliable cars on the market. In my onion.
rachel_16
Rep:
?
(Original post by the bear)
scrap that mofo.

:hand: :auto:
I think I will!
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
When it comes to cars, selling parts etc, I wouldn't say I am the most experienced when it comes to cars so I seriously wouldn't know where to start when it comes to selling specific parts and so on.

When I took my car to the garage, I was able to see underneath the car and it is in quite a bad state. Its costing me roughly £150-200 to buy the subframe part on eBay so the mechanic can fix it as they don't order subframes in. It is a lot of hassle and it has for sure done its time so I think the best option here is potentially scraping it to get rid of it for good.

Thank you for your input!
I can see the appeal in stripping/selling for parts if you have the time, space and patience. Realistically even the 4 wheels, the doors or the seats are worth more than £100 to someone who wants them. But in many cases, esp if you've already got a new car, you just want it gone. My mechanic was the same and called me down to take a look under it and it was a deathtrap, ragged holes all over. Apparently one bad pothole and it all would have gave way. Luckily my mech was honest enough to immediately say 'It's not worth going ahead'
With the state the car is in, I would be lucky if I even got £200 for it to be honest.

This was my very first car and its just had problem after problem which is not ideal. I did get it from Gumtree from a dodgy buyer now come to think of it. What I payed for it was definitely not worth it with the amount of damages it has...

Like you said, there is a high possibility with the mechanics finding additional issues with the car as this has always happened in the past. I would go in to get one part fixed then it turned out that anther part linked to the problem was found so I would have to get the new issue fixed before the main problem could be repaired.

With my experience of driving a vauxhall corsa 2009, I can conclude that they are not the most reliable cars on the market. In my onion.
Oh, I meant even fixed I think you'd struggle to see £500, an MOT history like that never goes away and buyers would almost certainly try to push the price down. Right off the bat i'd be worried about the state of the other 3 coils springs and shocks. You don't want to end up one of those poor buggers posting an ad like "£1000 just spent on car, £750 ono"

I got mine from a 'legit' dealer funnily enough, you can't trust anyone :rolleyes: Almost everyone seems to end up starting with one but yeah, it's certainly put me off Vauxhall for life (Even if I do quite fancy a shot of a Monaro )
rachel_16
Rep:
?
I can see the appeal in stripping/selling for parts if you have the time, space and patience. Realistically even the 4 wheels, the doors or the seats are worth more than £100 to someone who wants them. But in many cases, esp if you've already got a new car, you just want it gone. My mechanic was the same and called me down to take a look under it and it was a deathtrap, ragged holes all over. Apparently one bad pothole and it all would have gave way. Luckily my mech was honest enough to immediately say 'It's not worth going ahead'

Oh, I meant even fixed I think you'd struggle to see £500, an MOT history like that never goes away and buyers would almost certainly try to push the price down. Right off the bat i'd be worried about the state of the other 3 coils springs and shocks. You don't want to end up one of those poor buggers posting an ad like "£1000 just spent on car, £750 ono"

I got mine from a 'legit' dealer funnily enough, you can't trust anyone :rolleyes: Almost everyone seems to end up starting with one but yeah, it's certainly put me off Vauxhall for life (Even if I do quite fancy a shot of a Monaro )
Yes exactly. My friend is good friends with the mechanic so I know that they are genuine and have never pressured me into repairing anything without my consent first which I believe many mechanics would probably go ahead with a repair even when you haven’t agreed to it.

That’s exactly what my mechanic said to me with regards to the subframe falling off if I went over a curb or something so I was driving it with fear Incase that happened but thankfully I was okay.

I managed to sell the car for a reasonable price to that same mechanic yesterday. I was actually quite glad he took it because the battery died and one of the wheels was jammed because the handbrake was on for a long period of time. He managed to start it up and drive it away so I’m over the moon that it’s finally away and I can focus on my wee Toyota which I am really happy with☺️

The corsa was my very first car so I guess you have to expect these things.. not to my extent though😂 I am the same.. any time I look at a Vauxhall I feel sick!

Thank you for your help and advice! Truly appreciate it
LTEcactus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What I don't understand, is why does a barely 10 year old Corsa have a corroded sub-frame?
Has it been driven through a tsunami or something?
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by LTEcactus)
What I don't understand, is why does a barely 10 year old Corsa have a corroded sub-frame?
I'd bet a fiver they're based in Scotland.

I swear they use acid salt on the roads up there...
rachel_16
Rep:
?
(Original post by IWMTom)

I am indeed from Scotland
rachel_16
Rep:
?
I seriously have no idea .. Im from Scotland if that has anything to do with it lol
LiverpoolHero_
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi everyone.

coil spring fractured

Google "solo car"
rachel_16
Rep:
?
(Original post by LiverpoolHero_)
Google "solo car"
that car would probably last longer than my old corsa lol
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I am indeed from Scotland
Hahaha thought as much!
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by IWMTom)

Yip, Scottish cars have a hard salty life, esp the further east you go.

That and the part used by Vauxhall is garbage.
rachel_16
Rep:
?
Yip, Scottish cars have a hard salty life, esp the further east you go.

That and the part used by Vauxhall is garbage.
Its not ideal!

My dad lives up in Shetland and he constantly has issues with his car rusting because the air is really salty so he always needs to keep his car well maintained as best at possible.

I am lucky as I don't live as far up as my dad however I live right next to the coast so our weather is not the greatest!
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Its not ideal!

My dad lives up in Shetland and he constantly has issues with his car rusting because the air is really salty so he always needs to keep his car well maintained as best at possible.

I am lucky as I don't live as far up as my dad however I live right next to the coast so our weather is not the greatest!
Ha, Shetland is where i'm from originally (People keep thinking i'm Irish :rolleyes:)

Funnily enough it was my mechanic that look mine off my hands too, he was upfront about it being more viable for him to fix and flip in his own time. I'd already been compensated in full by my credit card for the car so it was no loss to me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (71)
12.14%
Virtual campus tours/open days (142)
24.27%
Live streaming events (51)
8.72%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (55)
9.4%
A uni comparison tool (136)
23.25%
An in-person event when available (130)
22.22%