The Student Room Group

Should I Scrap My Car?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by StriderHort
Ha, Shetland is where i'm from originally (People keep thinking i'm Irish :rolleyes:)

Funnily enough it was my mechanic that look mine off my hands too, he was upfront about it being more viable for him to fix and flip in his own time. I'd already been compensated in full by my credit card for the car so it was no loss to me.

I haven't actually been to Shetland myself however I am planning to go up maybe this summer or next for a few weeks if travel will be allowed by then. It looks like a wonderful place with great wildlife!

Yeah Shetland accents are quite different compared to the West Coast but they are nice.

I bet that the mechanics will make quite a bit when selling it once they have fixed it all up.

Once you start driving your new car, you can for sure feel the difference between an old car and a new car. Is your car that you have now much better than your old corsa? (that's such a stupid question lol)
Original post by rachel_16
I haven't actually been to Shetland myself however I am planning to go up maybe this summer or next for a few weeks if travel will be allowed by then. It looks like a wonderful place with great wildlife!

Yeah Shetland accents are quite different compared to the West Coast but they are nice.

I bet that the mechanics will make quite a bit when selling it once they have fixed it all up.

Once you start driving your new car, you can for sure feel the difference between an old car and a new car. Is your car that you have now much better than your old corsa? (that's such a stupid question lol)

I can barely remember the place myself, I think i was about 3-4 when we moved to Central Scotland, my parents weren't local, must working up there. I'm really just taking it on faith I was born there :tongue:

I dunno how much they'll really make but best of luck to them, mine was pretty honest in saying he was going to do it up for a friend. I actually started buying even older cars and they've ALL been miles ahead of the Corsa :tongue: I drive an 02 Merc SLK just now and love it. It tends to need quite a lot of small £25-50 bits to keep it going but none of this 'rotted away to black flakes' nonsense.
Reply 22
Original post by StriderHort
I can barely remember the place myself, I think i was about 3-4 when we moved to Central Scotland, my parents weren't local, must working up there. I'm really just taking it on faith I was born there :tongue:

I dunno how much they'll really make but best of luck to them, mine was pretty honest in saying he was going to do it up for a friend. I actually started buying even older cars and they've ALL been miles ahead of the Corsa :tongue: I drive an 02 Merc SLK just now and love it. It tends to need quite a lot of small £25-50 bits to keep it going but none of this 'rotted away to black flakes' nonsense.

Nice one! I think the lesson to learn here is just stay away from corsas. Period.

Don't get me wrong, the corsa looks like a fairly decent motor on the outside which can trick people into thinking its a good car when its actually a rubbish car and rusting away. I can conclude that with driving my Toyota Aygo 2017 for a few weeks now, it is miles ahead of the corsa in terms of the way it runs and just the car in general. It just feels like a better car driving and i'm not fearing for my life incase a part falls off haha!

Thats 100% better than paying like £250 at a time to get something fixed. Who really has the money and time to do that all the time? Wouldn't think a lot of folk.
My advice would be to NOT scrap it to a local scrappy, they will give you hardly anything, go online to scrap my car and I'd say you'd probably get around £300 or more, I've sold older none working cars to them and still got £232, yours is newer therefor they would get a lot more for the parts..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending