The Student Room Group

Have you picked your firm and insurance choice?

Poll

Have you picked your firm and insurance choice?

The Ucas deadline has been and gone - for some of you it’s been a while since you submitted but for some it’s only been a few days!

If you’ve started getting offer back, congratulations! If you’ve got all your offers back already, you may be thinking about it what choices to make as your firm and insurance universities. Have you made that decision already?

If you have, why did you make this decision early? What factors were important to you?

If you haven’t yet made your choice, do you think you’ll wait until later in the year to make your choice or make it sooner? What factors are you considering when making your decision? Has anything changed since when you submitted your application? Have you managed to visit or get all the information you need on the university you want?

Remember - the deadline to reply to your choices (if you receive all your offers by the 20th May) is the 10th June 2021. You won’t be at a disadvantage for waiting to make your choices, as long as you do it before the deadline - so there is no need to rush.
(edited 3 years ago)
A reminder that universities agree to both of these rules when they sign up to UCAS:
Business Rules
"9. Customers must not ask applicants to reply to offers before the normal reply date, regardless of when the offer was made, unless the course starts before 1 September. Requesting early replies in return for benefits (e.g. priority access to accommodation) is not permitted. Even where courses start before 1 September, providers must allow applicants a reasonable period of time to consider their options and respond."
Admissions Principles
"9. Customers must not place undue pressure (i.e. that which is not in the applicant’s best interests) in order to directly or indirectly influence an applicant’s decision."

If you've been encouraged to firm early in order to get benefits (like priority access to accommodation) or feel that a university is placing undue pressure on your to pick them then please do send on any emails or communications to UCAS to investigate:

"Suspected non-compliance with the rules and principles can be notified to UCAS through [email protected]. Upon notification, UCAS will investigate and take any relevant action."
Original post by PQ
A reminder that universities agree to both of these rules when they sign up to UCAS:
Business Rules
"9. Customers must not ask applicants to reply to offers before the normal reply date, regardless of when the offer was made, unless the course starts before 1 September. Requesting early replies in return for benefits (e.g. priority access to accommodation) is not permitted. Even where courses start before 1 September, providers must allow applicants a reasonable period of time to consider their options and respond."
Admissions Principles
"9. Customers must not place undue pressure (i.e. that which is not in the applicant’s best interests) in order to directly or indirectly influence an applicant’s decision."

If you've been encouraged to firm early in order to get benefits (like priority access to accommodation) or feel that a university is placing undue pressure on your to pick them then please do send on any emails or communications to UCAS to investigate:

"Suspected non-compliance with the rules and principles can be notified to UCAS through [email protected]. Upon notification, UCAS will investigate and take any relevant action."

Really helpful information I think lots of people will find useful! Thanks :smile:
What factors should one consider? I haven't received any offer yet (applied for Medicine) but any offer I receive would be "unconditional" since I already have my A Level grades.. so the option of firm and insurance is redundant for me.

I assume whatever I pick as insurance will be my final offer?
Original post by StrawberryDreams
The Ucas deadline has been and gone - for some of you it’s been a while since you submitted but for some it’s only been a few days!

If you’ve started getting offer back, congratulations! If you’ve got all your offers back already, you may be thinking about it what choices to make as your firm and insurance universities. Have you made that decision already?

If you have, why did you make this decision early? What factors were important to you?

If you haven’t yet made your choice, do you think you’ll wait until later in the year to make your choice or make it sooner? What factors are you considering when making your decision? Has anything changed since when you submitted your application? Have you managed to visit or get all the information you need on the university you want?

Remember - the deadline to reply to your choices (if you receive all your offers by the 20th May) is the 10th June 2021. You won’t be at a disadvantage for waiting to make your choices, as long as you do it before the deadline - so there is no need to rush.

I applied in October 2020, and I'm just waiting on a reply from Durham, which is the only university I feel connected to at this point. I have offers from Lancaster (which I found beautiful and friendly), Manchester (where I live, and where I'm proud to come from), and Nottingham (where my uncle and my teacher's son went, and I've heard good things), but I'm just not sure any of them are right. I was rejected from Cambridge, but I've always thought Durham's English course beats theirs. My (currently long-distance) boyfriend will be going to Durham, I'm already in a few group chats making connections, and it seems like a fresh start. It could be so perfect.

I'm not sure what I'll do if they don't accept me, but I'm definitely planning on firming them if they let me in. I'd probably like to visit Nottingham before deciding on my insurance, but as it stands I'd probably choose Lancaster.
Haven’t got a single offer yet :tongue: , though I did apply only 2 weeks ago for a competitive course
Reply 6
I applied in December and surprisingly heard back from all my unis by mid-January! I was pretty torn before I started receiving offers (I applied to Lancaster, Strathclyde, Stirling, Oxford Brookes and Lincoln) but now I've got a clearer idea. I'm planning on firming Lancaster and putting in Strathclyde as my insurance (Marketing Management/Marketing respectively) but I don't really wanna rush through the process yet since it's only Feb. I originally wanted to make Brookes my insurance because I didn't think Strath would accept me so....

I'm also an international student, so I haven't had the chance to actually visit the places as I had originally planned due to the circumstances but videos and posts here are pretty helpful and detailed too.
Original post by qwert7890
What factors should one consider? I haven't received any offer yet (applied for Medicine) but any offer I receive would be "unconditional" since I already have my A Level grades.. so the option of firm and insurance is redundant for me.

I assume whatever I pick as insurance will be my final offer?

If you have an unconditional offer as you have your grades, the university you pick as your firm choice will be the one you go to :smile: This means you won't get an insurance choice, as the premise of the unconditional is that they want you with no other conditions attached, rendering insurance choices unnecessary.

Original post by ashtolga23
I applied in October 2020, and I'm just waiting on a reply from Durham, which is the only university I feel connected to at this point. I have offers from Lancaster (which I found beautiful and friendly), Manchester (where I live, and where I'm proud to come from), and Nottingham (where my uncle and my teacher's son went, and I've heard good things), but I'm just not sure any of them are right. I was rejected from Cambridge, but I've always thought Durham's English course beats theirs. My (currently long-distance) boyfriend will be going to Durham, I'm already in a few group chats making connections, and it seems like a fresh start. It could be so perfect.

I'm not sure what I'll do if they don't accept me, but I'm definitely planning on firming them if they let me in. I'd probably like to visit Nottingham before deciding on my insurance, but as it stands I'd probably choose Lancaster.

I'm sending you all the luck for an offer from Durham and hope you hear back soon :smile:

It sounds like you have some great offers regardless of that. Have you managed to visit any of these unis? If not, are you basing your decision off of what you've seen online, or recommendations from anyone at all?

Original post by sosipsoso
Haven’t got a single offer yet :tongue: , though I did apply only 2 weeks ago for a competitive course

I think that's completely normal at this time! It takes a while to hear back (around 7 weeks usually) so don't worry :smile: I was interested to see how many people are making decisions already with so much uncertain at the moment with the pandemic. If you receive all your offers, do you already know what unis you will pick as your firm or insurance choices? Sending you lots of luck and hope you hear back soon :biggrin:

Original post by syca
I applied in December and surprisingly heard back from all my unis by mid-January! I was pretty torn before I started receiving offers (I applied to Lancaster, Strathclyde, Stirling, Oxford Brookes and Lincoln) but now I've got a clearer idea. I'm planning on firming Lancaster and putting in Strathclyde as my insurance (Marketing Management/Marketing respectively) but I don't really wanna rush through the process yet since it's only Feb. I originally wanted to make Brookes my insurance because I didn't think Strath would accept me so....

I'm also an international student, so I haven't had the chance to actually visit the places as I had originally planned due to the circumstances but videos and posts here are pretty helpful and detailed too.

Woah that's fast! Congratulations on all your offers :biggrin:

I think not rushing the process is a really good idea - you've got loads of time to make decisions. What things were the most helpful when making decisions having not been able to visit? I'm glad you've found TSR useful, if you need any more help just let us know!
If you have an unconditional offer as you have your grades, the university you pick as your firm choice will be the one you go to :smile: This means you won't get an insurance choice, as the premise of the unconditional is that they want you with no other conditions attached, rendering insurance choices unnecessary.

Thank you so much! What would you say are some of the main, important factors I should look at to decide on a uni?
I'm sending you all the luck for an offer from Durham and hope you hear back soon :smile:

It sounds like you have some great offers regardless of that. Have you managed to visit any of these unis? If not, are you basing your decision off of what you've seen online, or recommendations from anyone at all?

Thank you so much!

I managed to visit Lancaster and truly thought it was beautiful. I live in Manchester so already know the city well, and I've been to the university for a few events; I don't dislike it, but I think a campus university may appeal more, or just somewhere away from home. Nottingham is purely from recommendations, and Durham is a mix of recommendations from people at the uni or who've lived there as well as what I've seen online.
Original post by qwert7890
Thank you so much! What would you say are some of the main, important factors I should look at to decide on a uni?

We have a really good article here that may help :smile: To summarise, I think the most important factors are whether the course feels right for you. Does it have the modules and facilities you're interested in, the ability to choose extra modules if you want to, an intercalated year if you want it - everything that makes the course feel right for you. Then I'd look at the city you'd be living in and if it is somewhere you want to be for the next 5 years along with the campus you'd be studying at. Do they have the social activities you want as well?

Do you have any gut feelings for any unis at all? Don't ignore your gut - see what it is that's driving it :smile:

Good luck!

Original post by ashtolga23
Thank you so much!

I managed to visit Lancaster and truly thought it was beautiful. I live in Manchester so already know the city well, and I've been to the university for a few events; I don't dislike it, but I think a campus university may appeal more, or just somewhere away from home. Nottingham is purely from recommendations, and Durham is a mix of recommendations from people at the uni or who've lived there as well as what I've seen online.

Thanks so much for letting me know your thought processes :biggrin: It's so interesting.

Do you feel at a disadvantage for not going to visit some places at all? Or do you feel that you managed to get all the information you needed to make your decisions without going?

I think that's completely normal at this time! It takes a while to hear back (around 7 weeks usually) so don't worry :smile: I was interested to see how many people are making decisions already with so much uncertain at the moment with the pandemic. If you receive all your offers, do you already know what unis you will pick as your firm or insurance choices? Sending you lots of luck and hope you hear back soon :biggrin:

If I get all my offers I would firm University of Birmingham and put Manchester Met or BCU as my insurance
Thanks so much for letting me know your thought processes :biggrin: It's so interesting.

Do you feel at a disadvantage for not going to visit some places at all? Or do you feel that you managed to get all the information you needed to make your decisions without going?

Aw that's okay! I'm glad you think so.

I definitely think visiting Nottingham would help as I don't know much about it as everything stands. If I get an offer from Durham then I think it's honestly too good to turn down no matter what the location is like, so that one isn't as tough.
Original post by PQ
Business Rules
Admissions Principles

hey can you link where you found this info? :smile:
I'm just waiting to hear back from UCL (applied in November) but have an offer from Durham which I'm 90% sure I'll be accepting! I already have the grades from last year. I'm just waiting to see if UCL will accept me.
I got all bar one of my replies by the end of November I think - two of them were at the same uni for only slightly different courses, with the same grades, so I was able to immediately dismiss the course I liked least of those two. I applied to Cambridge and got an interview but no offer, so that narrowed it down to three.
From that, one of them has been my favourite from the start (Bristol Uni, Geo w/QRM) so that's going to be my firm. The last two were Exeter and Cardiff (for Geo and Urban P&D respectively), but the Exeter grade offers are pretty much the same as for Bristol, so choosing it as my insurance would be fairly redundant even if I preferred it to Cardiff.

So, in conclusion, I mainly chose by having a favourite and then simply narrowing down my options from there. I preferred having the safety net of a lower grade requirement for my insurance, particularly with the uncertainty around exactly how grades are going to be awarded this year, so that was a big factor in my decision overall - I wanted attainable options at courses I felt were most interesting and employable. Don't know if that'll help anyone, but I hope it does!
I applied right at the beginning of September (11th) I applied for Psychology in Education at York, Southampton, Birmingham, Bristol and Keele. I recieved all my offers by November. I was organised and visited 10 unis in the summer so knew what I was wanting etc, I was torn between York and Southampton initially, they both wanted ABB. I then visited York again just before Xmas, and really really fell in love with it, everything was perfect. I did'nt visit Southampton again due to being in tier 4, however I knew I wanted to go to York. I firmed York on 1st Jan and insured Birmingham!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending