If Former Countries had won the World Cup?

Watch
SirNoodles
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Not sure if this is a stupid question or not but I've been thinking:

If a former country (now broken off into many different countries) such as the USSR or Yugoslavia had won the World Cup, which modern countries forming those former countries would be able to claim a World Cup victory? Could Slovenia or Monte***** claim to have won a World Cup under Yugoslavia or Uzbekistan or Moldova under the USSR?
GatoMessi
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SirNoodles)

If a former country (now broken off into many different countries) such as the USSR or Yugoslavia had won the World Cup, which modern countries forming those former countries would be able to claim a World Cup victory? Could Slovenia or Monte***** claim to have won a World Cup under Yugoslavia or Uzbekistan or Moldova under the USSR?
Germany had won the World Cup in 2014, did they? They also counted as "West Germany"

World Cup
Appearances 19 (first in 1934)
Best result Champions (1954, 1974, 1990, 2014)

However, Croatia who reached the final in 2018 - wasn't counted as "Yugoslavia"
World Cup
Appearances 5 (first in 1998)
Best result Runners-up (2018)

and therefore I assume the likes of Monte***** will not counted as "Yugosloavia"
Last edited by GatoMessi; 3 weeks ago
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SirNoodles)

It really did: West Germany won the World Cups in 1954, 1974 and 1990, and is still considered as that country in history. Guess it wouldn't be different to the other former countries. But as West and East Germany reunited, the success of the West Germans are counted to Germany.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (408)
52.31%
No (372)
47.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise