Transfer to Imperial Mathematics First Year Undergraduate?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi all,

I was just wondering if I could get their opinions about my situation.

I am a New Zealand student and have just finished high school this year with 5A*s in Maths, Physics, Chemistry, English and History. I applied to Oxford, Imperial and UCL mechanical engineering and got rejected by Oxford, accepted into UCL and still waiting on Imperial (apparently 2000 applied this year). I don't really want to go to UCL MEng and hope I can get Imperial MEngineering, but in the case that I don't get it, I have been looking into some alternatives.

I was particularly interested in taking the Maths and Computer Science course at Imperial but couldn't apply since my school didn't offer Further Maths. However, I've been looking into some transfer possibilities later this year. I got an offer from UNSW (Advanced Maths and Comp Sci) and I was wondering if I do really well this year and get a good GPA, is there a possibility that I could transfer to Imperial Mathematics later this year?

Obviously I'm still waiting on Imperial MEng and I will probably email the department of mathematics at imperial about this, but I would like to hear your opinions on what I could look into.

Thanks!!
Yazomi
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi all,

I was just wondering if I could get their opinions about my situation.

I am a New Zealand student and have just finished high school this year with 5A*s in Maths, Physics, Chemistry, English and History. I applied to Oxford, Imperial and UCL mechanical engineering and got rejected by Oxford, accepted into UCL and still waiting on Imperial (apparently 2000 applied this year). I don't really want to go to UCL MEng and hope I can get Imperial MEngineering, but in the case that I don't get it, I have been looking into some alternatives.

I was particularly interested in taking the Maths and Computer Science course at Imperial but couldn't apply since my school didn't offer Further Maths. However, I've been looking into some transfer possibilities later this year. I got an offer from UNSW (Advanced Maths and Comp Sci) and I was wondering if I do really well this year and get a good GPA, is there a possibility that I could transfer to Imperial Mathematics later this year?

Obviously I'm still waiting on Imperial MEng and I will probably email the department of mathematics at imperial about this, but I would like to hear your opinions on what I could look into.

Thanks!!
(Just wondering why you chose imperial over Ucl?)
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Yazomi)
(Just wondering why you chose imperial over Ucl?)
Imperial is the better one out of the two by quite a large margin in terms of engineering
Yazomi
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Imperial is the better one out of the two by quite a large margin in terms of engineering
Ahhhhhhh I see
szczesniak
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hey mate. I was literally in the exact same situation last year. Applied for Mechanical Engineering to UCL and Imperial and Engineering at Cambridge. Got rejected from Cambridge, got an offer from UCL and eventually rejection from Imperial came late in February. Eventually I decided to reapply for Maths this year and am still waiting for the decision from Imperial.
As far as I know, transfers from other unis to Imperial are almost impossible, their website states, quote: "..less than 1 student is transferred to Maths department every year...". I remember reading it word to word since I was considering the transfer option too.
I don't how it'll work with transferring to the first year tho, but why do you consider transfer ? You can literally enroll into that uni you have an offer from and try to reapply to Imperial via UCAS next year, and follow the same process. Being enrolled into uni doesn't restrict you from applying for Y1 entry to any UK uni, except Oxbridge.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by szczesniak)
Hey mate. I was literally in the exact same situation last year. Applied for Mechanical Engineering to UCL and Imperial and Engineering at Cambridge. Got rejected from Cambridge, got an offer from UCL and eventually rejection from Imperial came late in February. Eventually I decided to reapply for Maths this year and am still waiting for the decision from Imperial.
As far as I know, transfers from other unis to Imperial are almost impossible, their website states, quote: "..less than 1 student is transferred to Maths department every year...". I remember reading it word to word since I was considering the transfer option too.
I don't how it'll work with transferring to the first year tho, but why do you consider transfer ? You can literally enroll into that uni you have an offer from and try to reapply to Imperial via UCAS next year, and follow the same process. Being enrolled into uni doesn't restrict you from applying for Y1 entry to any UK uni, except Oxbridge.
Hey szczesniak, thanks so much for your reply.

Please let me know if you get an offer from Imperial later this year and if you don't mind telling me how your GCSE A Levels were.

I might take wait out this year for Imperial, and if I don't get it, then take a gap year and reapply later this year. What I'm concerned about is that if I'm taking a gap year, would that lower my chances of getting into the UK universities? I guess I need to think of a good reason for taking the gap year.

Yeah, I just heard about transfers but it seems imperial transfers is near impossible. Say if I take a gap year this year and not accept any uni offers, am I able to apply to Oxbridge again this year?
szczesniak
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hey szczesniak, thanks so much for your reply.

Please let me know if you get an offer from Imperial later this year and if you don't mind telling me how your GCSE A Levels were.

I might take wait out this year for Imperial, and if I don't get it, then take a gap year and reapply later this year. What I'm concerned about is that if I'm taking a gap year, would that lower my chances of getting into the UK universities? I guess I need to think of a good reason for taking the gap year.

Yeah, I just heard about transfers but it seems imperial transfers is near impossible. Say if I take a gap year this year and not accept any uni offers, am I able to apply to Oxbridge again this year?
I will definitely let you know unless I forget.
I don't have GCSE's, and I got 3 A* A-levels. Taking a gap year doesn't lower your chances to get a uni offer. I would even say that, to some extent, it increases them since you already have achieved grades and unis are more certain of your abilities.
You can definitely apply to Oxbridge unless you enroll into the university (although it could be possible you can still apply to Oxbridge if you are enrolled in the uni, please double check that as I'm not so sure). I got a Maths offer from Cambridge while on the out-of-uni gap year this year. Also, if you want to know, my PS literally included 3 short sentences about the gap year. It literally went like I decided to take a gap year to advance my maths knowledge yade yade yade, I'm gonna study this that that and intend to do this that that period.
All in all, don't worry to take a gap year if you really want to, but think really hard about that one. FYI, I did not go for the gap year because I wanted to get into Oxbridge or Imperial, there were some other factors and gap year just seemed as the most reasonable option. Make sure you have a real plan of what to do, because as it turns out a year is actually a hella long of a period and it gets really boring.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (0)
0%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (2)
18.18%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (2)
18.18%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (1)
9.09%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (4)
36.36%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (2)
18.18%

Watched Threads