The Student Room Group

I've been stuck on a grade 5 for 3 years :/

I've been stuck on a grade 5 in maths since year 7. All my life I've had to have help etc. with maths and I'm losing hope. All my other subjects are 7's and 8's and I think 2 are grade 6 so it's worrying me. I've gone through all of my past papers scoring pretty high after redoing them but I don't know what happens to me in the actual progress exams I'm just bad. My revision consists of doing past papers and looking through my book and seeing where I'm least confident but nothing works I always get 14/20 in my tests and half marks in the big tests. Should I do more practice tests? I'm only in year 9 but I feel like now is the best time to feel confident in my revision for mocks etc.
Reply 1
If you were on a grade 5 in Year 7 then you were doing extremely well and it's not a bad grade for Year 9. At my school they don't award anything above a grade 6 before the end of Year 9 except in exceptional circumstances (e.g. you're French and studying French) and yet 40% of students get a 9 in GCSE Maths. Your grade differences may just be the way your school grades different subjects.

If you want advice then make a point of explaining your worries and ask your teacher as she surely understands your weaknesses and what you need to do to improve better than we do
Reply 2
Original post by Compost
If you were on a grade 5 in Year 7 then you were doing extremely well and it's not a bad grade for Year 9. At my school they don't award anything above a grade 6 before the end of Year 9 except in exceptional circumstances (e.g. you're French and studying French) and yet 40% of students get a 9 in GCSE Maths. Your grade differences may just be the way your school grades different subjects.

If you want advice then make a point of explaining your worries and ask your teacher as she surely understands your weaknesses and what you need to do to improve better than we do

Thank you; emailing my teacher sounds like the best thing to do, but idk it just puts you down a bit when all your friends are getting 6s and 7s easily and your stuck on a 5 but I need to stay focused on myself. Thanks again for the advice :smile:
Reply 3
just finished my GCSEs and got a 9 in one of my mock papers for maths. It's so crazy how the tables have turned ahah
Original post by Compost

Quick Reply

Latest