anon25x
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Can someone explain please how to draw the structure of 1,3 dibromo-2-methylpropene ?
tedibare
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
firstly, you’ start with the basic chain and that is propene.
Write down 3 carbon atoms.
1,3 dibromo suggests that two bromine atoms are bonded to the 1st and 3rd carbon atom.
2methyl suggests that it’s on the 2nd carbon atom (methyl group is CH3)
Then just put your hydrogen atoms in the empty slots. Remember that one carbon atom can only have 4 bonds at a time. And a double bond counts as two
Last edited by tedibare; 7 months ago
tedibare
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
The double bond must be on the first carbon atom since it does not specify its position
chloe0804
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
So the main chain is propene which is three 3 atoms. It is alkene so you know there has to be a double c bond. Bromine on first C and then on the second C is a CH4 group (methyl) and then on last C is another Br. As it is symmetrical the double bond can go between either carbon 1&2 or carbon 2&3. Hope that helps
anon25x
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by tedibare)
firstly, you’ start with the basic chain and that is propene.
Write down 3 carbon atoms.
1,3 dibromo suggests that two bromine atoms are bonded to the 1st and 3rd carbon atom.
2methyl suggests that it’s on the 2nd carbon atom (methyl group is CH3)
Then just put your hydrogen atoms in the empty slots. Remember that one carbon atom can only have 4 bonds at a time. And a double bond counts as two
(Original post by chloe0804)
So the main chain is propene which is three 3 atoms. It is alkene so you know there has to be a double c bond. Bromine on first C and then on the second C is a CH4 group (methyl) and then on last C is another Br. As it is symmetrical the double bond can go between either carbon 1&2 or carbon 2&3. Hope that helps
Thnk you I was thinking there'd be 3 carbon atoms but it's for e-z isomerism so I was a bit confused as to how i'd flip it?
tedibare
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Leemx)
Thnk you I was thinking there'd be 3 carbon atoms but it's for e-z isomerism so I was a bit confused as to how i'd flip it?
In that case, you only need 2 double bond carbon atoms, with CH3 bonded to 1st or second carbon.
Then you can put bromine on which E/Z isomer your looking for. E would be on opposite sides whilst Z would be on the same side. Know that ones with higher atomic number would be prioritised
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
5.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
18.92%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
10.81%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
8.11%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (13)
35.14%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
21.62%

Watched Threads