TomKing6
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello all,

I currently have an offer from an IB but am thinking of going to a small firm (40 employees, very old fashioned) to get my ICAS. As I study for accountancy with finance, I get exemptions from the TC. What I wished to ask was, how difficult is doing ICAS at a small firm relative to a larger practice? I understand less support will be available, but in the other hand the smaller firm will never ask for work any later than 5 PM, thus more revising time. Whats your thoughts?
thrwawy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Is that a front office role? because if so don't turn it down, if its back-office finance then I would still go for it because the hours won't be anything crazy. Having a well known IB on your CV opens doors. I assume the smaller firm is an accountant, not an IB?
TomKing6
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by thrwawy)
Is that a front office role? because if so don't turn it down, if its back-office finance then I would still go for it because the hours won't be anything crazy. Having a well known IB on your CV opens doors. I assume the smaller firm is an accountant, not an IB?
Back office! Yeah the smaller firm would be accountancy. I am just slightly concerned that I won't be able to jump to accountancy before my exemptions run out for the ICAS exams (three years after your degree).
K1NE
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Both good options.

I would say don't assume because you work for smaller accountancy firm that you will be out the door by 5pm. Some days you might be but it depends on the amount of work that you have going on. Also, might be a small accountancy firm but managers make a massive difference to your work life balance and experience. So always good to understand and agree on how the firm will support you through your ICAS qualification, rather than assume . Talk to them about study leave options, flexibility closer to exam time etc....

Unfortunately I don't know much about investment banking. Hoping someone else on here can shed some more light in terms of their experience. You can however always do a CFA if you work in investment banking ? It's a prestigious qualification and well respected. It is considered to a challenging qualification and IB working hours can be long from what I've heard so always good to work out how you can balance both. The name of the company on your CV and the training on the job (I would hope) you will get however will be top quality.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (596)
49.13%
No (617)
50.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise