The Student Room Group

Jury service

So I’ve been called for jury service at the end of March, it says it’ll be like 10 working days but can be longer.
I start uni on 12th April, so I reckon if my jury service is like 2 weeks, I’ll be okay to do it.
If I get chosen for a longer trial, it may disrupt my uni work, even tho my uni is only 2 days a week.
Does anyone know if I’d be allowed to excuse myself from jury service after finding out the duration of the trial if the trial is longer than 2 weeks? Or will I have to mention it to them now? They don’t know I’ll be a student.
I understand this might be a difficult question to ask.
Thanks in advance.
I'd say give them a ring and tell them about your situation, if they can't help they might be able to point you to where you might be able to find help. Please bear in mind that i have no experience with being called for jury service...
Reply 2
Original post by Ram Charan
I'd say give them a ring and tell them about your situation, if they can't help they might be able to point you to where you might be able to find help. Please bear in mind that i have no experience with being called for jury service...

Possibly, I could.
I have already replied to the jury summons to say I can do it, because I am technically available for at most 2 weeks. And my jury service has now been confirmed.
But I guess calling them won’t hurt.
Thanks
Original post by kiqbal000
Possibly, I could.
I have already replied to the jury summons to say I can do it, because I am technically available for at most 2 weeks. And my jury service has now been confirmed.
But I guess calling them won’t hurt.
Thanks

Call them and explain. It's a shame that you've accepted, as now it might look like you're messing them about a bit. Oh well. You may not even get selected, so you might get lucky.

Students don't typically get excused automatically, so they may not allow it - see her for more details: https://www.gov.uk/jury-service/delaying-or-being-excused-from-jury-service
Reply 4
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Call them and explain. It's a shame that you've accepted, as now it might look like you're messing them about a bit. Oh well. You may not even get selected, so you might get lucky.

Students don't typically get excused automatically, so they may not allow it - see her for more details: https://www.gov.uk/jury-service/delaying-or-being-excused-from-jury-service

I accepted because I’m available for 2 weeks from that date, so I technically have to accept. Just wanted to know if I’d be excused if I was to get a trial longer than 2 weeks. If it’s not longer, then I’m more than happy to do the service.
Original post by kiqbal000
I accepted because I’m available for 2 weeks from that date, so I technically have to accept. Just wanted to know if I’d be excused if I was to get a trial longer than 2 weeks. If it’s not longer, then I’m more than happy to do the service.

Okay, well, I don't know if they'll excuse you on the grounds of starting university (but I know they excuse you on the grounds of examinations). They may ask you to indicate which time periods you are free in the next 12 months, and call you again then.
It's very difficult to get out of doing jury duty. Starting university will not be a good enough reason for them to excuse you.
Reply 7
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Okay, well, I don't know if they'll excuse you on the grounds of starting university (but I know they excuse you on the grounds of examinations). They may ask you to indicate which time periods you are free in the next 12 months, and call you again then.

Yeah I did read they only usually allow you to postpone jury service if you’ve got exams. Hopefully if I do get a longer trial, my uni work won’t be too disrupted as it’s only the start of my course.
Thanks though!!!
Reply 8
Original post by black tea
It's very difficult to get out of doing jury duty. Starting university will not be a good enough reason for them to excuse you.

Yeah I assumed so :/ whatever’s meant to be haha. Thanks! x
I knew a girl who got summoned trial took 6 weeks and it resulted in her being expelled from uni. (Totally the courts fault).
Original post by jonathanemptage
I knew a girl who got summoned trial took 6 weeks and it resulted in her being expelled from uni. (Totally the courts fault).

There must have been more to it than that - unis can put your study on hold. Do you think it was helpful to post this btw?
Original post by Muttley79
There must have been more to it than that - unis can put your study on hold. Do you think it was helpful to post this btw?

I think it was helpful, I was just giving a worst case scenario it's worth knowing how badly it can go. TBF I don't think she knew you can put your studies on hold.
Original post by jonathanemptage
I think it was helpful, I was just giving a worst case scenario it's worth knowing how badly it can go. TBF I don't think she knew you can put your studies on hold.

The uni would have suggested it so there is more to this than you know ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending