The Student Room Group

Difference between Project Manager and Construction Manager?

There doesn’t seem to be much differentiation between these two titles on the internet.

I just want to confirm, isn’t a construction manager and a construction project manager two different roles entirely.

Can someone explain the differences?

I think project management is more general and applies to organising staff, resources, etc. to complete a project in any context, not just for construction. Whereas construction is specific to just construction. If the two were to work together, I assume the project manager would say when things should be done, by who, etc. and the construction manager would be more focused on the nuances of the construction itself. Idk just how I’d interpret it ig
Original post by Anonymous
There doesn’t seem to be much differentiation between these two titles on the internet.

I just want to confirm, isn’t a construction manager and a construction project manager two different roles entirely.

Can someone explain the differences?

Well they do whatever they say in the job description! The Construction Manager is likely to be the person on-site who is checking the day to day logistics of the building site, that the cement is being delivered on the right day, that the walls are going up fast enough, that the site safety rules are being followed etc.

The Construction Project Manager might be a little more office based and is looking a head and re-planning when maybe the weather means the work gets behind, which has knock on effects on the next stage of the build. The Construction PM might also have responsibility for regular liaison with the client, assuring them the build in on time and on budget, working through value engineering etc.

It depends a little bit on the scale of the project as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending