The Student Room Group

How do I tell a guy friend that I like them, and if they might like me back?

Okay, context: He and I have been friends for about a year. I've had feelings for him for about 6 months. We both go to the same college and we text regularly.

I met up with him and three other guys at a pub and I bought him a drink, he wanted to buy me my first energy drink to repay me, but one of his mates bought it for me instead(they both kept trying to buy me it). He then insisted on buying me a doughnut to pay me back instead. Should I take that as a hint? And how do I tell him that I have feelings for him?

Scroll to see replies

look who is the cool girl with all the guys fawning over her
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
look who is the cool girl with all the guys fawning over her

First time that's ever happened, kinda made me smile not gonna lie.
Me, being a guy myself, would pass out if a girl friend I like asks me out. You can tell he likes you if he pays more attention to you than his other girl friends. Also, just to make it easier convince yourself that your too good for him, and then if he rejects you know you deserve better, and if your attractive then there will be a guy who likes you but is too shy to tell you.
Original post by ImagineNotDating
Me, being a guy myself, would pass out if a girl friend I like asks me out. You can tell he likes you if he pays more attention to you than his other girl friends. Also, just to make it easier convince yourself that your too good for him, and then if he rejects you know you deserve better, and if your attractive then there will be a guy who likes you but is too shy to tell you.

Some really good advice... also maybe don’t do it just yet though cause I’ve had a situation where guys have done the same thing with me but it was just them playing around so best thing to do is drop hints and never let your guard down because if a guy truly likes you he WILL put in the effort
Reply 5

Ahaha, that's actually a good way to look at it. This has actually helped with my nerves, so thank you :smile:
Reply 6
Some really good advice... also maybe don’t do it just yet though cause I’ve had a situation where guys have done the same thing with me but it was just them playing around so best thing to do is drop hints and never let your guard down because if a guy truly likes you he WILL put in the effort

That's true, I'm a bit wary of disclosing my feelings as the first time I liked a guy they friend-zoned me in a really awkward way. But me and the guy I currently like talk at like 1am.
Okay, context: He and I have been friends for about a year. I've had feelings for him for about 6 months. We both go to the same college and we text regularly.

I met up with him and three other guys at a pub and I bought him a drink, he wanted to buy me my first energy drink to repay me, but one of his mates bought it for me instead(they both kept trying to buy me it). He then insisted on buying me a doughnut to pay me back instead. Should I take that as a hint? And how do I tell him that I have feelings for him?

Sorry but don’t make the first move. Backwards to say but men are hunters and would say if they fancied you and would make it obvious. Dont disgrace yourself and look back cringing for the next 10 yrs. what you need to do for a bit of a catalyst is get more hotter, more unattainable and more flirty (not cringy) or at least act that around him. If he doesn’t bite then he doesnt like you. Dont friendzone yourself. Just because he is a boy that you speak to doesn’t mean you need to fancy him aswell but if you want things happening you should take the above action. Relationships and the dating game are for people who can hack it so if your sensitive stay out and protect your heart! So sorry if this is coming off a bit harsh but i learnt the hard way and wish someone woke me up a long time ago! Also, he would be offering you dinner not a doughnut if he fancied you! My point is work on you and your self worth first and get to the point where you dont need to worry about if a man likes you or not because if he likes you, you would know without question. Level up empower yourself lets go!
Ahaha, that's actually a good way to look at it. This has actually helped with my nerves, so thank you :smile:

No problem I love to help out with these things. If only someone could help me...

Yo thanks for fixing it up. I was scared I would mess her up.
No problem I love to help out with these things. If only someone could help me...

I'm a favour-for-a-favour person so if you need any help, I'd be happy to help as best I can :smile:
Sorry but don’t make the first move. Backwards to say but men are hunters and would say if they fancied you and would make it obvious. Dont disgrace yourself and look back cringing for the next 10 yrs. what you need to do for a bit of a catalyst is get more hotter, more unattainable and more flirty (not cringy) or at least act that around him. If he doesn’t bite then he doesnt like you. Dont friendzone yourself. Just because he is a boy that you speak to doesn’t mean you need to fancy him aswell but if you want things happening you should take the above action. Relationships and the dating game are for people who can hack it so if your sensitive stay out and protect your heart! So sorry if this is coming off a bit harsh but i learnt the hard way and wish someone woke me up a long time ago! Also, he would be offering you dinner not a doughnut if he fancied you! My point is work on you and your self worth first and get to the point where you dont need to worry about if a man likes you or not because if he likes you, you would know without question. Level up empower yourself lets go!

I get that, don't worry. Also I've explored the territory of being rejected so I'd probably be able to handle it okay. I try to make sure to drop hints, i.e checking up on him regularly and talking to him. I'm not sure what else I can do to drop hints, since I get embarrassed really easily.
Also, will a guy drop hints even if he's shy?
I get that, don't worry. Also I've explored the territory of being rejected so I'd probably be able to handle it okay. I try to make sure to drop hints, i.e checking up on him regularly and talking to him. I'm not sure what else I can do to drop hints, since I get embarrassed really easily.

You will know if a guy likes you is all im saying! They will let you know or make it very very obvious and flirt a lot, there would be no question. Please keep your heartsafe genuinely. Its not like the movies,sht hurts. Dont set yourself up to be a simp. Love yourself first please!!!

Your advice is harsh but so true, so many girls out there making the mistake thinking they need to nudge the guy. Men will pounce on you with their eyes if they want you, there's no mistaking it
Your advice is harsh but so true, so many girls out there making the mistake thinking they need to nudge the guy. Men will pounce on you with their eyes if they want you, there's no mistaking it

Absolutely. It’s harsh but I say it with full love and honesty and I wish I had a big sister that told me this at college age. This sort of behaviour everyone goes through when they don’t know their worth. Its so so so important to be happy with yourself before dabbling in big girl business like relationships because the endings suck more than any feeling of “i want them but i dont know if they like me”etc. Most of the time you just wanted them for self validation and to fill a void but you only realise too late!
Alright, I think I'll hold off for now then. I think I have a feeling of "I want to support them and be there for them" rather than a feeling of filling a void. I do see value in myself, but I do doubt myself a lot of the time. Thank you all who have responded as well, any advice helps me out :smile:
Show cleavage and make sure he sees it. It's girly superpower :smile:
Original post by candydiva
Show cleavage and make sure he sees it. It's girly superpower :smile:

Pfft, alright, may as well try that then :smile:
Should not telling him how I feel be painful? Because pretty much every day I feel like I'm choking on my feelings, to the point where it feels like it physically hurts?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending