Best university to study Japanese.

Watch this thread
student010r
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I have been bored throughout this lockdown which has led me to decide on which university to go to even though I'm starting in 2022 (very early I know). But I have been looking at ones to study Japanese or East Asian Studies, the 5 ones I have looked at are:
SOAS University of London- Japanese and International Relations
Newcastle University- Japanese Studies
University of Edinburgh- International Business with Japanese OR just Japanese
University of Leeds- Asia Pacific Studies and Japanese
University of Manchester- East Asian Studies OR Japanese Studies.
I'm leaning more towards SOAS as it links more to the kind of career I want to do after university. However there are problems, one of them being that I have no A Level subjects that fit into any category of languages and business (I currently take Criminology, Media Studies and Photography). My interests have changed since the beginning of the academic year and I believe it's too far to change my subjects now as I am halfway through the year, up until recently I haven't had a clue on what I want to do in the future and I am incredibly satisfied with finding something that interests me. My concern is if I will be unable to get into these departments at university.
Overall there's some questions I want to ask: which university is the best option? How was the year abroad? Will the subject Japanese Studies get me to places as Japanese and International Relations might?
Last edited by student010r; 1 year ago
cchloepx
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
I’m applying for Italian and Japanese at Leeds. I didn’t look at any of the others but I really like the modules available at Leeds.
The good thing about languages is that you can take stuff like politics and history within the course! Having another subject like IR is always a good option though, as it gives you a wider choice of options for your future.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (132)
66.33%
No (45)
22.61%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.06%

Watched Threads