The Student Room Group

Home fees or international fees

Help regarding home fees and international fees

Hey guys,

I am currently studying at a London based Uni and I am paying £9,250 in fees and I have taken out a maintenance loan.

This university was the only university to classify me as a home student as I have been living in the UK for 16 years, 20 years old next week.

I am not British born and and I lived around 3/4 years in my home country and I hold a leave to remain.

I am currently staying at home and I am having a hard time with my mental health. I have chosen to move out in September out of London to stay at Uni.

I realised how back when I was applying through UCAS universities such as UEA, Nottingham Trent, West London and East London they were charging me around 13k to 17k per year along with a £3000 deposit.

They classified me as an international student which I don’t think is fair considering I did reception, GCSEs and A-Levels.

Any advice? I don’t think SFE would pay £13k + a year for me along with giving me a maintenance loan.
Original post by TheAlchemistress
Help regarding home fees and international fees

Hey guys,

I am currently studying at a London based Uni and I am paying £9,250 in fees and I have taken out a maintenance loan.

This university was the only university to classify me as a home student as I have been living in the UK for 16 years, 20 years old next week.

I am not British born and and I lived around 3/4 years in my home country and I hold a leave to remain.

I am currently staying at home and I am having a hard time with my mental health. I have chosen to move out in September out of London to stay at Uni.

I realised how back when I was applying through UCAS universities such as UEA, Nottingham Trent, West London and East London they were charging me around 13k to 17k per year along with a £3000 deposit.

They classified me as an international student which I don’t think is fair considering I did reception, GCSEs and A-Levels.

Any advice? I don’t think SFE would pay £13k + a year for me along with giving me a maintenance loan.

When you apply ask for a fee status assessment and send them evidence that SFE awarded you a maintenance loan. Every university determines fee status and most will default “complex” cases as overseas initially. The rules for student support (maintenance loan) are stricter than for home fees - most universities will award home fees if SFE have awarded you student support.
Original post by PQ
When you apply ask for a fee status assessment and send them evidence that SFE awarded you a maintenance loan. Every university determines fee status and most will default “complex” cases as overseas initially. The rules for student support (maintenance loan) are stricter than for home fees - most universities will award home fees if SFE have awarded you student support.

That’s fine but with some of the universities I feel as if they will be persistent about classifying me as an international student.

I really don’t mind fighting for this but it’s really hard considering the mental damage this did to me because they kept digging into my personal life.
Original post by TheAlchemistress
That’s fine but with some of the universities I feel as if they will be persistent about classifying me as an international student.

I really don’t mind fighting for this but it’s really hard considering the mental damage this did to me because they kept digging into my personal life.

That’s unlikely. SFE don’t award maintenance loans to international students. Universities are busy - they won’t waste their time on pushing for more information to class someone who gets maintenance loans as international.
Original post by PQ
That’s unlikely. SFE don’t award maintenance loans to international students. Universities are busy - they won’t waste their time on pushing for more information to class someone who gets maintenance loans as international.

That’s what I was worried about because I know they don’t fund international students. I will try and contact them when it close to time. Thank you for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending