The Student Room Group

If you could recommend one GCSE to take what would it be and why?

Hey there!
I'm Zara. Im 14 and I have started to pick my GCSE's. Now you may think that this thread is pointless cus we're supposed to choose the GCSE's that are right for us but the thing is I'm an all-rounder and I enjoy most if not all subjects! My teachers haven't been much help in choosing GCSE's they all say the same thing I think you would be great etc etc without giving a good reason why. I get A1's, A2's and A3's which are equivalent to 9s,8s and 7s so I'm actually alright in most subjects. I want to see what you guys have to say about what GCSE's you took and if you could recommend one GCSE to take what would it be?
Thank you for reading this and I can't wait to see your responses!
Have a great day!
Zara x
Hi zara!! I dont think is wise to ask other people cause every opinion would be different and u probably wont be a ble to get a clear answer, instead you could try searching up the subjects you like and finding out more about them
the poster above is right- I did geography and enjoyed it but other people find it boring! do you have any subjects that you enjoy a lot more than others or do you have a career path that you are interested in? and if so someone can recommend gcses suitable for that career.:smile:
Heya Zara,
first of all, I agree with the above comments BUT I have a few recommendations that my school made me take:
- 1. A language, really impressive to universities and you can put it on as a skill in your CV. Will help in future and some universities ask fir a language at at least a 5 (high C) grade,
- 2. a humanity, can be history, geography or sociology (I did history), gives you good critical thinking skills and transferable skills, often look at highly by uni
- 3. a stress relief, this isn't really required but I took drama and it did wonders for my mental health. Although the coursework can be overwhelming t time, the lessons were active, laid back and creative, some of my best memories from yr 10/11. This is the same for drama / dance / art and anything else your school offers.
Original post by nikkiblonsky
Hi zara!! I dont think is wise to ask other people cause every opinion would be different and u probably wont be a ble to get a clear answer, instead you could try searching up the subjects you like and finding out more about them

Heyyyy Nikki! Ah right thx for the advice :hugs:

Original post by dianna3007
the poster above is right- I did geography and enjoyed it but other people find it boring! do you have any subjects that you enjoy a lot more than others or do you have a career path that you are interested in? and if so someone can recommend gcses suitable for that career.:smile:

oof Geography. I enjoy it but my current geography teacher annoys me soooo much like Im someone who talks a lot but he's like me times 10 and he talks bout the most random stuff I get such a headache lol.
I do enjoy french humanities and drama a lot. I'm thinking dermatology with a side job of Modelling and acting (used to do modelling so I want to get back into it :biggrin:)

Original post by username120
Heya Zara,
first of all, I agree with the above comments BUT I have a few recommendations that my school made me take:
- 1. A language, really impressive to universities and you can put it on as a skill in your CV. Will help in future and some universities ask fir a language at at least a 5 (high C) grade,
- 2. a humanity, can be history, geography or sociology (I did history), gives you good critical thinking skills and transferable skills, often look at highly by uni
- 3. a stress relief, this isn't really required but I took drama and it did wonders for my mental health. Although the coursework can be overwhelming t time, the lessons were active, laid back and creative, some of my best memories from yr 10/11. This is the same for drama / dance / art and anything else your school offers.

Hi there!
I do love languages (learning 7 currently hehe) so doing a language for GCSE would be good.
I love humanities subjects! Ur school does sociology! Lucky! My school does history, geography and rs.
Ah yes doing a stress relief type of subject would be good! Ah Drama! I love drama!
Thank you for the advice! Im gonna keep this advice in mind when i choose my subjects! Again thank u! :biggrin:
History because it allows you to develop your critical thinking and analysis skills.
I get why you made this thread. I would just like to hear peoples opinions as well (eventho i am no longer a GCSE student)
Obviously this is my own personal opinion and my experience.

1. Languages: as someone has already said and the obvious one is languages. What I didnt realise when i did GCSEs (some people might say i should've known this but no one in my family really went on to do A levels or do a degree that wasn't art related) was that just getting a grade 5 in a GCSE language means that you can get get onto some decent language degrees even if you do not do A level. Exeter for example, only requires a grade 5. Some other unis require a grade 6 but are normally quite flexible due to the lack of applicants.

2. I really enjoyed geography. It wasn't as demanding as History and i have even be able to use my knowledge further on. I found it quite relaxing as we did watch a lot of documentaries and i met some really nice people that are still my friends today.

3. Religious Studies. Now ik people dislike this one quite a bit, mostly because a lot of schools have this as a compulsory subject. I had a really bad teacher with a lot of biased views and was actually quite offensive to us, but looking back it was quite an enjoyable subject. I learnt a lot and my (limited) knowledge about Islam has really benefitted me. I find that it helps me when i look at the news and i am able to educate people on their warped views. I currently do politics and i am doing politics at degree level so obviously currently this has become quite crucial knowledge. I think having an understanding of another religion is really helpful especially as there is a lot of misconception.

I found it relatively easy. I think the grade boundaries are quite low due to the amount of people being forced to do it. Most of the revision i find is just memorising quotes and some basic knowledge. So you can get away with some flashcards for quotes and probably have 1 big mindmap for all of the knowledge you need which is nice. I got a grade 6 with cramming in quotes on the day (dont do this it was very stressful).
My biggest piece of advice would be to pick what you enjoy the most. Don't think too much about what you want to do in the future, because that will inevitably change multiple times before you get round to applying to uni/choosing a career path. If you choose things you enjoy then eventually you'll end up with a career you enjoy. Try writing a list of all the subjects you do at the moment and then cross off the ones you can do without until you have the ones that you would be upset about not doing anymore.

In terms of useful subjects, I found history great practice because it really develops your essay writing skills which will be really useful and important for the future and other GCSE subjects like english. I also just found it really interesting and took it for alevel, it is a challenge as there's lots of content but it isn't as hard as everybody says and I found it super chilled and enjoyable.
A language is also useful, there are some universities (KCL i think is one) that require you to study a language up to gcse level when you go to uni if you haven't already got a language gcse. Russel group universities (a group of universities that are generally considered more academic) like languages on applications too. It's also just cool to learn languages in my opinion.
A lot of people recommend staying away from subjects like drama, music, and dance, just because there's a lot of group work that contributes to your grade and that can be quite stressful. I took drama and simultaneously loved and hated it, so I'd say unless you really have a passion for one of those subjects avoid it, don't take it just because it sounds easy because they're not as simple as everyone thinks.
I found religious studies fairly easy and that helps with essay writing as well, also just a good way to learn about other people and cultures and it can be really interesting.

This is obvs all my own opinion and there's subjects I didn't take like geography which I'm sure are great but I cna't comment on. At the end of the day you're going to be studying these courses for three years, so make sure the subjects are ones that you want to do. Don't take what your friends are taking because you can end up in different classes, and don't let your parents or teachers pressure you. Just do what you love :smile:
pick what you enjoy most, but here are some suggestions:

languages (like others have said) - it does look good on your CV, but it's a lot of work

business studies - I really enjoyed it, plus it's really easy haha so it provided a break from my other heavy subjects
Original post by 𝔸𝕤𝕡𝕖𝕟 𝔸𝕦𝕣𝕖𝕝𝕚𝕒
Hey there!
I'm Zara. Im 14 and I have started to pick my GCSE's. Now you may think that this thread is pointless cus we're supposed to choose the GCSE's that are right for us but the thing is I'm an all-rounder and I enjoy most if not all subjects! My teachers haven't been much help in choosing GCSE's they all say the same thing I think you would be great etc etc without giving a good reason why. I get A1's, A2's and A3's which are equivalent to 9s,8s and 7s so I'm actually alright in most subjects. I want to see what you guys have to say about what GCSE's you took and if you could recommend one GCSE to take what would it be?
Thank you for reading this and I can't wait to see your responses!
Have a great day!
Zara x

Hey Zara
I think every subject is hit or miss for different pupils. For example, not many people in my french class enjoyed it and most people tried switching for another. Whereas I loved it.
One subject that I had 0 complaints about was sociology and everyone in my class seemed to love it just as much.
If you’re more of a coursework person maybe go for media or art (which from what I’ve realised it extremely difficult and includes a lot of writing and isn’t just drawing).
I’m guessing you get to choose more than one gcse? If so, try and do at least one subject that you’re going to enjoy.
I hope that helped xxx
Btw just a little word of advice. I did History geography RS and German. Doing History and Geography involved a lot of work especially on to of RS and German. If you want to do History and Geography pair it with something easier. I was always always behind (in part due to my own laziness but still) and had to complete all nighters a couple of times for Geography in order to have my case studies. Please pick one not both if you can. Unless you feel prepared to put in the work.

Its not the worst but i remember i would have to complete a case study within 2 days and have a History homework piece (usually an essay) also due in 2 days on top of a German homework piece (a translation or writing piece normally) and sometimes an RS homework piece that was normally an exam question.

As you can imagine my teachers got pretty sick of me not handing work in.

The RS work would normally be only 30 mins (sometimes more though) and the German homework piece would normally only be 30minutes but it all just added up when my Geography was over an hour and so was my History.

Obviously do what you most enjoy.
Hey Zara,

It's Miriam, I've just changed up my username :^_^:
As others have said choose what you like and what you're good at. However my top 2 to take, that I would tell anyone, would be:
R.S (easy 9 and shows a good understanding of people and society)
Languages (shows unique skills)
Good luck! :hugs:
Original post by Bubblegum2022
History because it allows you to develop your critical thinking and analysis skills.

Hey there! Thank u for the advice! Much appreciated :hugs:
mm yh i agree with u history does help you develop critical thinking and analysis skills
Im thinking of taking History GCSE - thx for the advice btw :biggrin:

Original post by something_orphic
I get why you made this thread. I would just like to hear peoples opinions as well (eventho i am no longer a GCSE student)
Obviously this is my own personal opinion and my experience.

1. Languages: as someone has already said and the obvious one is languages. What I didnt realise when i did GCSEs (some people might say i should've known this but no one in my family really went on to do A levels or do a degree that wasn't art related) was that just getting a grade 5 in a GCSE language means that you can get get onto some decent language degrees even if you do not do A level. Exeter for example, only requires a grade 5. Some other unis require a grade 6 but are normally quite flexible due to the lack of applicants.

2. I really enjoyed geography. It wasn't as demanding as History and i have even be able to use my knowledge further on. I found it quite relaxing as we did watch a lot of documentaries and i met some really nice people that are still my friends today.

3. Religious Studies. Now ik people dislike this one quite a bit, mostly because a lot of schools have this as a compulsory subject. I had a really bad teacher with a lot of biased views and was actually quite offensive to us, but looking back it was quite an enjoyable subject. I learnt a lot and my (limited) knowledge about Islam has really benefitted me. I find that it helps me when i look at the news and i am able to educate people on their warped views. I currently do politics and i am doing politics at degree level so obviously currently this has become quite crucial knowledge. I think having an understanding of another religion is really helpful especially as there is a lot of misconception.

I found it relatively easy. I think the grade boundaries are quite low due to the amount of people being forced to do it. Most of the revision i find is just memorising quotes and some basic knowledge. So you can get away with some flashcards for quotes and probably have 1 big mindmap for all of the knowledge you need which is nice. I got a grade 6 with cramming in quotes on the day (dont do this it was very stressful).

I would just like to say thank you for taking the time to write all of this up! Much appreciated :hugs:
really?! u met some people who are still your friends today? WOW!
Ah i love watching documentaries so I'll probably enjoy geography hehe - and in my opinion its an interesting subject!
R.S yasssssss! Ah the teacher who's supposed to teach rs gcse for me is one of my favourite teachers and she is sooo nice and shes always respecting everyone's points of views! - I'm so sorry to hear that you had a really bad teacher that was biased.
Im Muslim and one of the topics at the gcse exam is Islam so I should be alright and i am really interested in religion hehe. Ah politics! my family is always telling me how i should quit my dream of being a dermatologist and become a politician cus I'm always on about politics hehe.
Again thank u for ur reply and ur advice I really appreciate it! :biggrin:
Original post by niamhsrevision
My biggest piece of advice would be to pick what you enjoy the most. Don't think too much about what you want to do in the future, because that will inevitably change multiple times before you get round to applying to uni/choosing a career path. If you choose things you enjoy then eventually you'll end up with a career you enjoy. Try writing a list of all the subjects you do at the moment and then cross off the ones you can do without until you have the ones that you would be upset about not doing anymore.

In terms of useful subjects, I found history great practice because it really develops your essay writing skills which will be really useful and important for the future and other GCSE subjects like english. I also just found it really interesting and took it for alevel, it is a challenge as there's lots of content but it isn't as hard as everybody says and I found it super chilled and enjoyable.
A language is also useful, there are some universities (KCL i think is one) that require you to study a language up to gcse level when you go to uni if you haven't already got a language gcse. Russel group universities (a group of universities that are generally considered more academic) like languages on applications too. It's also just cool to learn languages in my opinion.
A lot of people recommend staying away from subjects like drama, music, and dance, just because there's a lot of group work that contributes to your grade and that can be quite stressful. I took drama and simultaneously loved and hated it, so I'd say unless you really have a passion for one of those subjects avoid it, don't take it just because it sounds easy because they're not as simple as everyone thinks.
I found religious studies fairly easy and that helps with essay writing as well, also just a good way to learn about other people and cultures and it can be really interesting.

This is obvs all my own opinion and there's subjects I didn't take like geography which I'm sure are great but I cna't comment on. At the end of the day you're going to be studying these courses for three years, so make sure the subjects are ones that you want to do. Don't take what your friends are taking because you can end up in different classes, and don't let your parents or teachers pressure you. Just do what you love :smile:

Hiya there! Thank you for taking the time to type all of this up! Much appreciated :hugs:
I really do enjoy history and I was thinking of doing it for a-level too! I find history so fascinating honestly and so I'm thinking of doing it for GCSE hehe.
I also really like languages (learning 7 now but know 8 if u include English hehe).
I do love drama but i feel like its gonna be a lot - i have some friends who do it and the other subjects they take are latin and art so its not that much on them but for me wanting to do history and rs presumably it may be a lot. I do love drama and music as well (music is just amazing I've been singing for 12 years now hehe) but they seem so complicated!
Ah rs what a lovely subject. I love learning bout different cultures and for the course we are also going to do a lot of debating - something I'm good at hehe.
Thank you for this again much appreciated! :biggrin:

Original post by Starrynight5
pick what you enjoy most, but here are some suggestions:

languages (like others have said) - it does look good on your CV, but it's a lot of work

business studies - I really enjoyed it, plus it's really easy haha so it provided a break from my other heavy subjects

Hiya there! Thank u for the advice! Much appreciated :biggrin:
Yhh I'm thinking of doing a language for GCSE definitely - I do 7 languages currently (2 are done in school lessons and the other 5 in my spare time) so doing a language will be really helpful I think.
Ah business studies! I really think it would be interesting for me but my school doesn't do business studies unfortunately :frown:

Original post by sarahameedxx
Hey Zara
I think every subject is hit or miss for different pupils. For example, not many people in my french class enjoyed it and most people tried switching for another. Whereas I loved it.
One subject that I had 0 complaints about was sociology and everyone in my class seemed to love it just as much.
If you’re more of a coursework person maybe go for media or art (which from what I’ve realised it extremely difficult and includes a lot of writing and isn’t just drawing).
I’m guessing you get to choose more than one gcse? If so, try and do at least one subject that you’re going to enjoy.
I hope that helped xxx

Hey there! Thank u so much for the advice! I really appreciate it :hugs:
Yhh I totally get what you mean - literally everyone but me in my french class dislikes french class and find it annoying but I absolutely love it!
Ah I wish my school did sociology! Seems so fun :biggrin:
Tbh I'm not much of a coursework person but i don't mind coursework hehe. My mum wants me to do art but i really don't want to cus if uve seen my artistic skills you know how bad i am.
Yeppp we have 1 language, English, maths and double science as compulsory but then you have 3 other choices but if we do triple science we have 2 options left.

Original post by something_orphic
Btw just a little word of advice. I did History geography RS and German. Doing History and Geography involved a lot of work especially on to of RS and German. If you want to do History and Geography pair it with something easier. I was always always behind (in part due to my own laziness but still) and had to complete all nighters a couple of times for Geography in order to have my case studies. Please pick one not both if you can. Unless you feel prepared to put in the work.

Its not the worst but i remember i would have to complete a case study within 2 days and have a History homework piece (usually an essay) also due in 2 days on top of a German homework piece (a translation or writing piece normally) and sometimes an RS homework piece that was normally an exam question.

As you can imagine my teachers got pretty sick of me not handing work in.

The RS work would normally be only 30 mins (sometimes more though) and the German homework piece would normally only be 30minutes but it all just added up when my Geography was over an hour and so was my History.

Obviously do what you most enjoy.

I really do like geography and history but I feel like its gonna be a lot together!
That seems a lot of work! - Honestly I can write history essays in like 2 clicks (not literally
Wow geography and history being over an hour! Wow! that's a lot of work!
Thank u for the advice! Really appreciate it :hugs:

Original post by heldbygrace
Hey Zara,

It's Miriam, I've just changed up my username :^_^:
As others have said choose what you like and what you're good at. However my top 2 to take, that I would tell anyone, would be:
R.S (easy 9 and shows a good understanding of people and society)
Languages (shows unique skills)
Good luck! :hugs:

Hey Miriam! Love ur new username :biggrin:
Thank u for the advice! :hugs:
I think imma definitely do Rs and then French hehe
I would just like to say thank you for taking the time to write all of this up! Much appreciated :hugs:
really?! u met some people who are still your friends today? WOW!
Ah i love watching documentaries so I'll probably enjoy geography hehe - and in my opinion its an interesting subject!
R.S yasssssss! Ah the teacher who's supposed to teach rs gcse for me is one of my favourite teachers and she is sooo nice and shes always respecting everyone's points of views! - I'm so sorry to hear that you had a really bad teacher that was biased.
Im Muslim and one of the topics at the gcse exam is Islam so I should be alright and i am really interested in religion hehe. Ah politics! my family is always telling me how i should quit my dream of being a dermatologist and become a politician cus I'm always on about politics hehe.
Again thank u for ur reply and ur advice I really appreciate it! :biggrin:

I really do like geography and history but I feel like its gonna be a lot together!
That seems a lot of work! - Honestly I can write history essays in like 2 clicks (not literally
Wow geography and history being over an hour! Wow! that's a lot of work!
Thank u for the advice! Really appreciate it :hugs:

Yeah i might be going to uni with one of them (not intentionally) and we are probably going to remain friends after college anyway. Geography i found was a laugh and everyone there was genuinely nice and chill. I feel like geography attracts those kinds of people whereas i found in some of my other classes some people felt superior (at least this is how they came across) than others and asking questions felt more intimidating (this was just my experience and maybe i was just unlucky). But i did like how nothing really was a stupid question in Geography and people were always up for certain debates. A few of us ended up taking A level politics (more so than my history class surprisingly). So if thats your kind of thing then you should love it.

Yeah i was just unlucky with my RS teacher. She was an ex Christian who was pretty set in certain views. Like she thought that having sex before you were married wasn't ideal and that if you were going to have to sex you should be prepared to "suffer the consequences" and therefore if you are a teenager having sex then you shouldn't have an abortion because you should "suffer the consequences". Bare in mind she knew some of us were having sex and one of the girls had a pregnancy scare (all good tho) so she overheard us talking and proceeded to say this. Again this was just our teacher and we just wound her up about it bc we thought she is entitled to our views but she shouldn't bring it to class. Even despite that it was a very fun class so you should have a blast. Especially as your teacher is actually nice.

I hope not to put you off about the whole Geography and History thing i just wish someone would've told me. I think i was unfortunate in that everything was usually due on the same day. I should've said something but at the time i was really shy and wouldn't speak up for myself. It was only over an hour because sometimes we had research pieces or a little test to complete or case studies to do and i like to do a good job. I am sure if you tell your teachers what subjects you want to do and if the deadlines clash, explain to them,, they would be more than willing to be accommodate. I was just an idiot and would procrastinate loads.
Hey there! Thank u for the advice! Much appreciated :hugs:
mm yh i agree with u history does help you develop critical thinking and analysis skills
Im thinking of taking History GCSE - thx for the advice btw :biggrin:

your welcome

I suggested it because i currently take History as a option
:biggrin:
Probably something interesting and unusual, like astronomy or an ancient language, and/or something you might not have a chance to study again e.g. creative and performing arts subjects for a lot of students who are planning a set of all academic A-levels.
Hey Miriam! Love ur new username :biggrin:
Thank u for the advice! :hugs:
I think imma definitely do Rs and then French hehe

Aww thanks
My pleasure to help. :3
Yay, you won't regret rs! :woo:

my dream of being a dermatologist

What happened to dentistry??! :bawling:
Hey Zara, You can do this route 1 or 2 ways:

1: You kinda know which career you want, even if its a rough idea. So pick the subjects you need in order to progress. Perhaps have a couple of subjects in there you enjoy as well that you dont need.
So example, my youngest wants to work in a zoo. so shes taken the triple sciences (as she needs biology, psychology, for alevel and futher to uni) and then took media, art because she loves being creative. art and media wont be needed for zoology, but shes got a good balance because of having the subjects she needs, and the subjects she likes.

2: your unsure of what you want to do, then pick all of the subjects you enjoy doing and you can figure out what you want to do later in life.

Quick Reply

Latest